Sponsored by:

PCm audio controls non-intuitive

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:02 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default PCm audio controls non-intuitive

My first negative complaint. The audio controls are very difficult to learn and remember. e.g. Going to the track listing on USB or Jukebox, you have to remember which to push, whether it's source or media. Navigating around amongst all the audio features is just plain difficult.

It's all there but whoever designed the interface just didn't organize it very well to make it easy while you're driving. I found the BMW interface with the wheel on the middle panel much easier.

Not a biggie to me because the actual car is so awesome.... Just had to voice my opinion.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 AM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have voice control, you can use that to select the source. (e.g., just say, "Source Ipod").

One thing I do miss about my previous BMW was that it could understand artist names. You could just say the name and it would play all the songs by that artist from your iphone/ipod. With the Porsche, you have to scroll through a list, which is very annoying if you have a lot of songs by different artists on your phone. Plus, you have to take your eyes off the road for a prolonged period of time. Unless someone knows of a way to do it by voice?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I hear ya, but source selection is not the only issue. Too numerous to go through here...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 AM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Great point. I have the same issue.

I have yet to figure out why there is no built in equalizer.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was meinst du?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:39 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
My first negative complaint. The audio controls are very difficult to learn and remember. e.g. Going to the track listing on USB or Jukebox, you have to remember which to push, whether it's source or media. Navigating around amongst all the audio features is just plain difficult.

It's all there but whoever designed the interface just didn't organize it very well to make it easy while you're driving. I found the BMW interface with the wheel on the middle panel much easier.

Not a biggie to me because the actual car is so awesome.... Just had to voice my opinion.
I kind of thought the same thing in High School when I had to take a course in typing. All those keys, with the letters completely out of order. Made no sense to me; to this day I don't know how anyone can remember where they all are.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:50 PM
unluckydrawer
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka

Coming from BMW iDrive, the BMW iDrive is much more intuitive and requires very little driver focus/engagement, which is a good thing.

Buttons or ****, Porsche, make up your mind !

Minor gripe. Still leagues better than the Chrysler System in the Ferrari California right lol
Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 152 Posts

I find the PCM controls in my 991 great. Much better than my former S5, M5 and wife's MB
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 PM
berndt
Rennlist Member

Wow, people saying nice things about BMW Idrive.
Wonders never cease.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 548 Posts

I still find the Navi in Honda/Acura easiest to use.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by berndt
Wonders never cease.
Apparently they 'fixed' it.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The music selection is tolerable if not fantastic to me, even if the album cover art is almost always wrong (the cover of an album I played sometime else in the past few days!).

To me, it's entering addresses, particularly in reverse order and with letters enabling & disabling themselves as you type, that is just awkward.

I don't understand why nav systems can't handle addresses in the same format that online mapping apps can - I just have no interest in learning to read it backwards while typing it in. A street address + zip should be good enough and would be much more intuitive.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 AM
unluckydrawer
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by berndt
Wonders never cease.
Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Yup, I'd say they really fixed it starting 2009 with the CIC. Super fast and intuitive now. Can operate with minimal driver engagement.

BMWs also have touch sensitive programmable hot keys that you can set for telephone, navi, radio, etc. When you lightly touch the button it will show you what the shortcut is.

So I can press one button to call someone, or one button to go home. That's a feature I really missed.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 AM
berndt
Rennlist Member

I have this fantasy that the oems standardize their cell phone interface.
Like the mandatory obd2 interface.
Just be done with it and quit trying to sell something new and unique.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:21 PM
WCE
User

Received 186 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I've had 3 generations of BMW's i-drive and it really hasn't changed that much in terms of operation. Yes, they added higher-res displays and better graphics, more direct access buttons and even more features over the years.
The biggest factor? People got used to operating it and it's become familiar! (and Porsche's PCM will also)

Quick Reply: PCm audio controls non-intuitive