Sponsored by:

Interesting track day

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
With the 991 the car feeds back through your spine rather than your hands and I kinda like that.
Excactly Rainier. That's what I brought forward in another post. Correct seating position to get the feedback through your spine is very important in this 991 !
Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Excactly Rainier. That's what I brought forward in another post. Correct seating position to get the feedback through your spine is very important in this 991 !
Yes, the that was the very first thing the Porsche Driving School instructors did - ensure you had the correct position (as low as you can go, backrest around 80 degrees and of course correct leg and arm reach).
Must admit - up to that day I did not take that too serious but it's true. Makes a big difference. Once you get into tune (on the track) it's an almost religious experience as you really feel the car doing its thing - not as a seperate entity but rather as a natural extention of your body. I do remember a big smile on my mug when that happened coming out of a fast corner and I knew I nailed that one just right.

The only other, similar experience I can relate to is flying trikes - those are those delta winged things with a cart and an engine slung underneath. There are no control surfaces on the wing - you move the entire wing with your hands and arms - after a while it clicks - you ARE the plane...
Now I just fly boring planes - but drive exciting cars...

Rainier
Old 09-13-2013, 12:35 PM
modifier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A while back I test drove 3 911s back to back. I have a route worked out in the neighborhood that includes a good mix or high and low speed corners. No track time, but enough to give a good indication. The cars were a 997 GTS, a 997 C4S and a 991CS. All fun cars to drive. Coming form and Audi with Quattro I could appreciate the planted controlled slides in the C4S over the GTS. But them when I drove the 991 there was a marked improvement in everything including cabin comfort and ergonomics. I even when back and drove the GTS again to make sure. 991s are better cars. Just like is always the case with Porsche. Porsche doesn't make changes for no reason.

Someone recently surmised that the new 991 Cup cars are about 2 seconds faster around a race track over the last model, with every thing else being the same.

The 991 Turbo should be something to behold.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:43 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
Once you get into tune (on the track) it's an almost religious experience as you really feel the car doing its thing - not as a seperate entity
Yep, for me it's almost telepathic, symbiotic.

Quick Reply: Interesting track day