Sponsored by:

BMW Nut pulled to the Darkside!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 PM
hsiaochinsan
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by David in Talent
Curious why opted to install H& R Springs instead of ordering PASM Sport suspension ?
He bought the car from the lot.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:00 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David in Talent
Curious why opted to install H& R Springs instead of ordering PASM Sport suspension ?
I did not order this car. It did not have it so I went with springs. The H&R also give it an extra 5mm drop. Sits just about perfect on them.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM
ColdList
Racer

This is too funny. Check out how many guys are currently making the switch to Porsche from their M5 or considering it. This is my thread from M5 Post http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882645

It started with two buddies of mine who bought the 991, then me, then two others so far have made the move and several considering. Ouch! I love my M cars but perhaps BMW might want to consider a little less weight. Dropping like flies!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:48 PM
///MMB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^I went from a 2011 M3 and 2011 z4 3.5is to my M3 and C2. I'm not a big fan of BMWs turbo work.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

There is a poll on Planet 9's board for the 981 Cayman/Boxster, What car did you drive before/change from? Not exactly scientific but in combination with that thread on m5post.com... wow.

BMW had better hit the gym, and soon, or they are going to be in a lot of trouble. The people who are defecting to 981s and 991s are going to look at Cayennes and Macans next time.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:34 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the rhodium color and the drop! Looks like you're running spacers. What size?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

BMW is too busy making irrelevant electric cars. I3 and **** like that !
Old 09-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Beautiful car and clean mods so far! Enjoy the dark side, you'll never go back!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by mtony
Welcome! I too came over from M cars. Still have one though...

One of the better M cars you can really tool on yourself. Reminds me.of my youth.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Also, I note the BMW crew seem to like the C4S, especially the newer 911 doesn't hang it out too much like earlier versions. And you can have a manual if you want it.

I saw someone bought the Aero Kit, to me its a little much but I do like the Ducktail. But Porsche won't sell the Ducktail by itself without the front fascia; they say its because of aero-dynamic balance - who am I to doubt them. Though I have yet to see anyone selling the 991 Ducktail by itself or at all.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:41 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! I am a long-time e39 m5 owner (12 years) and am about to pull the trigger on a 991 Turbo S I believe. If I could ask, any reason why you didn't go the Turbo route (since you were so used to torque from the M cars)? Just trying to understand different people's perspectives and experiences. Congrats again and enjoy the car in health!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by keithos27
Congrats! I am a long-time e39 m5 owner (12 years) and am about to pull the trigger on a 991 Turbo S I believe. If I could ask, any reason why you didn't go the Turbo route (since you were so used to torque from the M cars)? Just trying to understand different people's perspectives and experiences. Congrats again and enjoy the car in health!
Honeslty, I know that I will probably end up going that direction in a year perhaps but I got soooo hooked on that normally aspirated motor again. The noises, the raw feel, etc. I just LOVE it. Feels like I am driving a race car all the time. You just can't rev a turbo and get that same fierce sound behind you. Just seems so "real" if that makes any sense.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by shaytun
Love the rhodium color and the drop! Looks like you're running spacers. What size?
Thanks! Yep. 14mm all around. Sits nice and flush without being "too much".
Old 09-06-2013, 08:54 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car...congrats!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
There is a poll on Planet 9's board for the 981 Cayman/Boxster, What car did you drive before/change from? Not exactly scientific but in combination with that thread on m5post.com... wow.

BMW had better hit the gym, and soon, or they are going to be in a lot of trouble. The people who are defecting to 981s and 991s are going to look at Cayennes and Macans next time.
I agree 100%. I was/am a HUGE BMW nut. I put a LOT of work into my cars so defecting was a tough decision.-but a great one with ZERO regrets. In fact, I wish I had done it sooner.

Here is one of my threads showing my F10 M5: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816123

I just bought a new F12 M6 cab for my wife to drive in June and I already told her to start thinking about a P car when she wants to replace it but I will leave it up to her..So far she loves the M but she has always loved the Porsche Panamera and the Cayenne Turbo. We have two small boys so they are more practical (but my F150 SuperCrew does the job with carting the family around :-)

I spent a LOT of time (as do a lot of M5 owners) justifying that the car "does what it does well" and putting my want for a "fun" performance car to drive unconsciously aside. The fact is however that the M5 has gotten very heavy, and while the torque is truly amazing, it is very hard to put the power down without a ton of wheel spin and it just doesn't feel very controlled when braking or in turns as you just cannot overcome the weight. Straight line my C2S will beat it 0-60 purely because it actually has launch "control" rather than "launch and go sideways". I am not trashing the BMW. It is a remarkable car but you cannot begin to compare them from a "driver's car" standpoint. I, along with many BMW guys, were a little taken back and in disagreement with the recent MotorTrend "Best Driver's Car" comparison, in which the M6 faired poorly. When Randy Probst stated that the M6 was "the only car I didn't want to take around the track for a third lap" I was sort of pissed off at what I considered to be his ignorant assessment. Now I get it. There is a lot of power in the M car but it is fairly useless unless you are doing runs from a roll (in which case it is REMARKABLE-the best car in its class IMO) but go around corners and it is just not able to handle it. It must have been quite a handful for him to push that car around the curves(although he didn't comment as sharply about an immensely worse handling Bentley which I found to be sort of suspect. Perhaps this could have been due to higher expectations for the M6.) Yes, the M5 is probably the best in turns for its weight-but therein, again, is the issue. It is just too heavy. BMW may be doing themselves a VERY big favor with the M4 but I cannot imagine it ever competing with the 991. This car is truly PERFECT.

I will say that the M6 is much better than the M5 for overall "fun". It has a lower center of gravity and just feels more like a sporty car. It is just not the same car as the 991. In fairness, the BMWs are true GT cars where the P cars are true sports cars. I guess it comes down to what you want but I sense (reference all the converts and potential converts on the M5Post thread I linked above) that many are realizing the missing fun in the M5.

Quick Reply: BMW Nut pulled to the Darkside!