Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

911-50. Who is getting the 7 speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:21 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Ordered my 911/50 with PDK. My second 911 to have PDK. My first two 911's were MT. I'll never get a MT again the PDK is better than MT in every way.MT is old technology. Will you get more for a car because it has no ABS? No you won't. You will not get more money down the road for a MT. Just the opposite. Inferior technology. 5 years from now try and sell a MT car. Look at dealer inventories. Most on the lot are MT because few people want MT anymore. Do you think Ferrari no longer makes a MT car for any particular reason? F1 hasn't used MT in 15 years. GT3 is PDK because it is BETTER.
Your analogy is inaccurate. There is one purpose for brakes. That is to stop the vehicle. If the only purpose of a transmission is to achieve the best 1/4 mile time and lap-time around the track, perhaps your analogy would stand. For some drivers, driving experience isn't complete without kicking down the clutch in concert with shifting the gears manually. There is an element of joy in driving that comes from a perfect downshift and knowing that YOU did it rather than a computer. If my livelihood and providing for my family depends on my 1/4 mile timeslip and the laptime around the track, I would choose PDK. However I drive my 991 S MT for FUN. For you, fun factor may come from shifting fast, whether its manually or via PDK. Thats ok as well. We all have different needs and we have choices. No ONE choice is best for everyone.
If the only purpose of wearing a watch is to keep accurate time, I would own only quartz watches. I own zero quarz watches. I personally like to wind my own watch manually although the time is off few seconds every week.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:35 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ordered my 911/50 with PDK. My second 911 to have PDK. My first two 911's were MT. I'll never get a MT again the PDK is better than MT in every way.MT is old technology. Will you get more for a car because it has no ABS? No you won't. You will not get more money down the road for a MT. Just the opposite. Inferior technology. 5 years from now try and sell a MT car. Look at dealer inventories. Most on the lot are MT because few people want MT anymore. Do you think Ferrari no longer makes a MT car for any particular reason? F1 hasn't used MT in 15 years. GT3 is PDK because it is BETTER.
I'm not gonna disagree with you about PDK, but if you google for a E46 M3 in manual, it'll be hard to find and if you do find one, it'll be more expensive than BMW SMG,

I've driven the GTR past 5yrs, got the 1M 2yrs ago and its different like night and day. GTR dual clutch is very fast and I always driven it in manual, but the 1M puts smile on my face everytime.
Last month, I decide to drive the GTR 2 weeks straight for everyday transportation/duties and such, then step back in the 1M to compare what it feels like. When I got in the 1M after 2 week of not driving it, it felt great!! I actually miss driving it, thats how I felt that moment.

So make the long story short, I order the 50th in manual 3 days ago, and my wife doesn't even know how to drive manual. Gave her the option and she told me to get my dream car, "which is GT3" but this is the next best thing, and it have a 7sp manual.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:45 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Originally Posted by kimf70
Your analogy is inaccurate. There is one purpose for brakes. That is to stop the vehicle. If the only purpose of a transmission is to achieve the best 1/4 mile time and lap-time around the track, perhaps your analogy would stand. For some drivers, driving experience isn't complete without kicking down the clutch in concert with shifting the gears manually. There is an element of joy in driving that comes from a perfect downshift and knowing that YOU did it rather than a computer. If my livelihood and providing for my family depends on my 1/4 mile timeslip and the laptime around the track, I would choose PDK. However I drive my 991 S MT for FUN. For you, fun factor may come from shifting fast, whether its manually or via PDK. Thats ok as well. We all have different needs and we have choices. No ONE choice is best for everyone.
If the only purpose of wearing a watch is to keep accurate time, I would own only quartz watches. I own zero quarz watches. I personally like to wind my own watch manually although the time is off few seconds every week.
Right on!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by kimf70
Your analogy is inaccurate. There is one purpose for brakes. That is to stop the vehicle. If the only purpose of a transmission is to achieve the best 1/4 mile time and lap-time around the track, perhaps your analogy would stand.
That's a worthwhile way to think about it, but IMHO the logical conclusion is different. There is one purpose for a transmission, and that's to hide the unfortunate torque characteristics of internal combustion engines. Everything else is merely a side effect, some positive, some negative.

Ideally we wouldn't need a PDK or a stick shift because our transmissions would be either unnecessary or perfectly integrated with the power source. It would be hard to sell either type of transmission to someone who has drunk the Tesla kool-aid. Of all the transmission options available to us dino-powered ecoterrorists, PDK is objectively best at allowing us to pretend we don't have or need a transmission at all.

If we had always had double-clutch computer controlled manual transmissions, and someone came along in 2013 suggesting that it would be more "fun" or more "involving" or more "manly" if we took away one of the clutches, added a mechanical gear selection lever, and then installed a third pedal to interrupt power delivery while using the lever, we would laugh them into the weeds.... or more likely just ignore them as some kind of kook.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:14 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sask997
\

I drove both a manual transmission and a PDK car. In everyday driving, the PDK felt somewhat boring.
That is exactly how I felt about the dual clutch transmission in the GTR, even tho its fast as hell, how is that gonna apply in the city driving, I don't get it to attract attention "it gets a lot"
I don't street race with it, drag race is only few second of excitement and dangerous on streets, track is something else, but everyday driving and working those gear yourself, there is nothing I said that you don't already know.

I'm trade/sell the GTR when the 911-50th arrive. Definitely not gonna regret it, mine is 09 and got it in Nov 2008, so yeah about 5yrs ago which is ahead of PDK technology and now I'm going back to old school in a Porsche I have dreamed of owning one since high school.

Congrat on your purchase, and hope we all share our ownership exp on this community.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have owned many MT cars. I always purchased MT because they were both faster AND more economical. I never purchased them for fun. Pain in the *** 90% of the time in traffic. Fun 10% of the time when no one is around. I don't plan to track my 911/50 at all. The PDK is much faster and more economical. I understand why people still want a MT car but it just doesn't make sense for me. I want the fastest, most economical and technologically advanced car I can buy. To me that is PDK. As I said ,I have had 2 MT 911's and this will be my second PDK 911. After 2-3 months I knew I had made the right choice for ME. That's why Porsche still makes both. The fact that the GT3 AND Turbo comes only as PDK speaks volumes. I suspect many don't get it to save $5K. This 911/50 will be my last and be a keeper. PCCB/PDCC etc. Enjoy shifting but after driving MT for over 30 years I don't miss it at all. Is that age or just experience? You may enjoy those perfect downshifts --- I understand that ---but there is a different joy in going click-click to downshift twice and just taking off. As an aside, I find the toggles quite intuitive and never missed having paddles.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:39 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

I have owned many MT cars. I always purchased MT because they were both faster AND more economical. I never purchased them for fun. Pain in the *** 90% of the time in traffic. Fun 10% of the time when no one is around. I don't plan to track my 911/50 at all. The PDK is much faster and more economical. I understand why people still want a MT car but it just doesn't make sense for me. I want the fastest, most economical and technologically advanced car I can buy. To me that is PDK. As I said ,I have had 2 MT 911's and this will be my second PDK 911. After 2-3 months I knew I had made the right choice for ME. That's why Porsche still makes both. The fact that the GT3 AND Turbo comes only as PDK speaks volumes. I suspect many don't get it to save $5K. This 911/50 will be my last and be a keeper. PCCB/PDCC etc. Enjoy shifting but after driving MT for over 30 years I don't miss it at all. Is that age or just experience? You may enjoy those perfect downshifts --- I understand that ---but there is a different joy in going click-click to downshift twice and just taking off. As an aside, I find the toggles quite intuitive and never missed having paddles.
congrats on your choice, only you know what you want and whats best for you. I understand for such a big purchase that you gotta get what you need.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 AM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There really is no wrong answer. I too have had the dilemma regarding which way to go. It is indeed a difficult choice and fortunately (or unfortunately) I have had an extended period of time to consider this because my dealer has not yet received the allocations for the 50th.
Here is my "2 cents". For those of us who have had MT (the majority of forum readers), MT will continue to bring smiles to our faces because it is familiar and engaging. The act of the great shift , down shift, heel-toe etc...elicits a strong emotional response.
What is compelling for me in this decision is that the vast majority of forum posts, magazine and web-based news, comparisons etc...primarily focus on performance. While 0-60 times, 1/4 mile etc...are not the entirety of a driving experience, it certainly remains a benchmark that many focus on. Heck, people are wiling to invest 10K+ in aftermarket performance products that "may" result in 0.1 second improvement in a 0-60 time. With this in mind, there should be no argument that PDK offers a significant advance in this regard over MT. This is the basis for PDK becoming the only option for the GT3 and Turbo.
There is an argument to be made that for the 50th, one should configure a build with a MT that is thus more nostalgic. I think that the 50th should represent a link to the past with the best of what Porsche presently offers. For those who are selecting MT, is it because of what the 50th represents for them or would they build a non-50th the same way?
Having driven both, if I had to provide my final build order today, it would include PDK. But damn, it is a tough one....
Old 09-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a great discussion and highlights the strengths of both transmissions. The fact that I am getting a 911/50 with PDK does not detract from what the vehicle has to offer. To me the 50 year edition highlights the past AND the future. Hence the slogan tradition:future by Porsche itself. The retro part?---color/dials in green/wheels. The future part?---engine/PDC/PCCB. It's called having your cake and eating it too. I am sure we will all enjoy our 911's with either tranny but I am in the old fart category so PDK please.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:08 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1!
Still consider myself a young gun but in this case, happy to be an old fart....

Quick Reply: 911-50. Who is getting the 7 speed