41.18%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

911-50. Who is getting the 7 speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

PDK is only way to go. This my 7th P car and my first PDK. I would never consider a MT again. In the next five to ten years, the MT will have gone the way of the dodo bird.

I did not vote since I am not buying a 50th anniversary. I did not want to skew the survey.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM
genxr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bacura
Ordered my 911/50 with PDK. My second 911 to have PDK. My first two 911's were MT. I'll never get a MT again the PDK is better than MT in every way.MT is old technology. Will you get more for a car because it has no ABS? No you won't. You will not get more money down the road for a MT. Just the opposite. Inferior technology. 5 years from now try and sell a MT car. Look at dealer inventories. Most on the lot are MT because few people want MT anymore. Do you think Ferrari no longer makes a MT car for any particular reason? F1 hasn't used MT in 15 years. GT3 is PDK because it is BETTER.
This is exactly how I feel and why mine will be PDK as well. I've owned MT's all my life until my 987BS. I will never go back to a MT on a Porsche again.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Sask997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for voting and for your comments.

I had difficulty deciding between the two myself. I agree with many of you that the PDK is superior in traffic and also on the track/very aggressive/competitive driving. However, unfortunately, most of my time is spent driving the car in a more casual manner with intermittent bursts of enthusiastic sprints.

I drove both a manual transmission and a PDK car. In everyday driving, the PDK felt somewhat boring. It was efficient but not involving enough. In the other two circumstances [heavy traffic and competitive driving] it was easily superior.

I made the decision to get a manual transmission car because for 80% of the time (in my case), it provides more involvement and enjoyment despite its inherent inferiority from a technical perspective. I am fortunate enough that most of my driving does not involve heavy traffic.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 PM
meine911
Racer

Congrats Sask. I'm sure you will enjoy it. And it's healthy physical and mental exercise. No insinuation about PDK'ers intended.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like them both. I will always have a manual, but I did love the PDK I tried enough that I'm ordering a GT3 this week.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 AM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sask997
Thank you everyone for voting and for your comments.

I had difficulty deciding between the two myself. I agree with many of you that the PDK is superior in traffic and also on the track/very aggressive/competitive driving. However, unfortunately, most of my time is spent driving the car in a more casual manner with intermittent bursts of enthusiastic sprints.

I drove both a manual transmission and a PDK car. In everyday driving, the PDK felt somewhat boring. It was efficient but not involving enough. In the other two circumstances [heavy traffic and competitive driving] it was easily superior.

I made the decision to get a manual transmission car because for 80% of the time (in my case), it provides more involvement and enjoyment despite its inherent inferiority from a technical perspective. I am fortunate enough that most of my driving does not involve heavy traffic.
+1. That's why I ordered mine in manual as well. Besides, the 50th is suppose to have some traditional design cues, so why not have this "old" piece of technology as well?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Ordered my 911/50 with PDK. My second 911 to have PDK. My first two 911's were MT. I'll never get a MT again the PDK is better than MT in every way.MT is old technology. Will you get more for a car because it has no ABS? No you won't. You will not get more money down the road for a MT. Just the opposite. Inferior technology. 5 years from now try and sell a MT car. Look at dealer inventories. Most on the lot are MT because few people want MT anymore. Do you think Ferrari no longer makes a MT car for any particular reason? F1 hasn't used MT in 15 years. GT3 is PDK because it is BETTER.
I understand why some people like PDK as it has many advantages. I also agree that it is not for the 'masses' and will soon be extinct. I may have no other choice but to buy a PDK in the future ..... BUT, I would never call it better than a manual or compare it to ABS technology. ABS and all the other new tech are great, the difference with the PDK is that it takes out the desired driving involvement for some of us. This does NOT make it better.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I still have to disagree. I completely enjoyed my 997.2 with PDK. 2 hands on the wheel at all times. Hugely fast downshifts for passing etc.etc. I have owned 2 MT 911's and I would never go back....ever. To each their own but unless you own one and drive it for a while I don't think you can appreciate how good they are. Taking your hands off the wheel to change gears....no thanks. You will loose at the track and you will loose on the street but everyone likes different things. I can truly say with no bias---because I have owned both---I found the PDK to be more fun......mmmmmmm---launch control.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:27 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by TKO
I understand why some people like PDK as it has many advantages. I also agree that it is not for the 'masses' and will soon be extinct. I may have no other choice but to buy a PDK in the future ..... BUT, I would never call it better than a manual or compare it to ABS technology. ABS and all the other new tech are great, the difference with the PDK is that it takes out the desired driving involvement for some of us. This does NOT make it better.
If I were any more involved with my PDK-equipped car, my girlfriend would sue for loss of consortium.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I you are a brisk driver, you have perfect "driving involvement" with a PDK car. PDK allows you to stay connected with the car the maximum amount of time.

If you like to take it slower, you have nice "shifting involvement" with a manual car, but you loose time in control and in connection with the car when you make the slow shift.
Also to me, the call for MT as a must for a purist or a real mans sportscar sounds so fake, knowing there is autoblipping and now even has lost it's true ability for gearskipping as you must go through gear 5 to get to gear 7 !

Not that it bears much relevance, as Porsches are not about dragracing, but a PDK C2 is faster than a MT C2S according to my user manual. I think that says it all.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

There is no right or wrong answer and have nothing against those who side with the auto .... but for me I'll take the slower inferior manual as long as its available (which will not be long). I'm not tracking/racing, don't need or desire to be 2/10th of a second faster. My definition of involvement doesn't mean 2 hands on the wheel, it means being connected overall. I would be bored with PDK.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Bart Baeyens
Advanced

+1
An automatic is for women & old farts
Old 09-28-2013, 12:30 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart Baeyens
+1
An automatic is for women & old farts
That's pretty rude.
I have always had MT prior to my first P car and did waffle a bit between PDK and MT before finally choosing PDK since its a daily driver for me and really like it.
My solution to the conundrum was to get the 991 in PDK and a classic Carrera (still searching).
Either way, I am sure you will enjoy it beyond measure.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:58 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkrp
That's pretty rude.
(Shrug) I wouldn't worry. By the time young Master Bart is old enough to take his driver's test, I'll bet automatics will even be good enough for him.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Bart Baeyens
Advanced

I'm 45 and consider myself an old fart but thanks for the compliment !
Pretty rude? Maybe.
Sometimes you have to be rude to be an eye opener. A friend of mine has an automatic. He just floors it and the car does the rest, even in wet conditions. To me, that is no fun. YMMV...

Quick Reply: 911-50. Who is getting the 7 speed