Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions...991S or 997GT3- I know I'm not the first to ask.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Decisions...991S or 997GT3- I know I'm not the first to ask.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on Rennlist. I am looking for some personal insight into this tough decision. Please know I have googled and read many other threads for this very question and it has been helpful but I am still going back and forth. My intention is to tell you a little about myself so based on your experiences and knowledge you can paint a better picture for me.

It is probable that some business endeavors will be coming to fruition in the next few months that will enable me to make this purchase or lease. I DO NOT need this car, I simply just want it. I am currently in a F10 M5 and I enjoy it thoroughly. The car is great for it's size and what I wanted it for. However, as you know a M5 and a 991S or a GT3 are worlds apart. The M is awesome and fast but it leaves me yearning for a more intimate experience. The M is DCT and I really miss driving manual. Personally I have started to get a little sad that manufacturers are becoming so competitive with their tech that they are taking the visceral experience away from the driver. I personally feel like I am part of the car when I drive a manual. I feel like my hands and feet are connected to the drivetrain. I don't even have to think about it, my hands and feet just move. I know it sounds corny, but I presume many of you know exactly what I mean. With the DCT, I just don't have that connection and I sometimes have to think to myself how many times I have to hit the lever and so on. BUT, don't get me wrong, there are also many other attributes that I enjoy that have come from the innovations that we have today.

So I have my M5 (leased for another 26 months) that I still enjoy for what it is. I have a commuter car that I use for rainy days or what have you. I live in upstate NY. The roads are decent. I pretty much drive locally or back in forth to work which is 20 miles highway. I do not foresee me doing any track driving in the near future. I am 33 years old. Like I said I do not need this car so if I pull the trigger I really have to be certain I'm making the right decision.

I drove a 991S the other day only for about 6 miles. I enjoyed it but I really don't think it was enough driving to really get acquainted with her. From my short drive I thought the steering felt really good. The shifter throw was a bit long. The handling felt awesome and secure. The power was adequate but it would be something I had to get used to cause it comes in so late. I'm used to a different power delivery ( my last few cars: E60 M5, E92 335i tuned, E46 M3). The sound was probably my favorite aspect. It felt as if the exhaust was 3 feet from my right ear. This is key. Sound is a huge part of the experience I am looking for. My M5 is a bit quiet, even with my Meisterschaft exhaust. Turbos just don't sound good. Nothing beats a screaming NA engine.

So my assessment is the 991S is awesome. Many improvements with the new chassis. Almost as good performance wise as the 997.2 GT3. Looks wise, I would have to have the Aerokit pkg if I got a 991S, but the GT3 just looks really bad ***. From what I gathered some guys love their GT3 and others love it too, but complain that it's really rough, or the front lip scrapes, if you don't track it, why get it??? Unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to drive one so how can I personally compare them to make a decision of what will suffice for my needs and dislikes. Given the background of what kind of driver I am, what moves me, and some of my preferences, can anyone shed some light on this? Perhaps navigate me in a direction that based on your personal experiences and ownerships enlighten me to what could work for me.

Thank you very much for your help and feedback.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 PM
991 C2S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same dilema last month... After thinking really hard I chose the 991S, this new platform its way more advance that the old one.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by 991 C2S
Same dilema last month... After thinking really hard I chose the 991S, this new platform its way more advance that the old one.
Thank you, but did you ever drive the GT3?
Old 08-31-2013, 11:56 PM
991 C2S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, 997 GT3 and GT3RS, IMHO the only thing better than the 991S is the exhaust sound
Old 09-01-2013, 12:09 AM
exponential
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

By reading your background. I think 991S 7 speeds manual with sport exhaust will fit you well.

Even 991 GT3 is not rough as 997 GT3 but they will not be soft for sure. I am not sure you will be happy with hard suspension. Manual transmission that you are longing for is also not available in modern GT3.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:28 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pazzo, based on what it sounds like you would use it for - mostly street driving in NY, I would get the 991. I went through the same evaluation, and have driven both and decided on the 991. I really enjoy the comfort and amenities of the 991 and track it regularly. While the GT3 is more track focused, the 991 is no slouch on the track either, but a lot nicer to drive home in after the last checkered flag.

As a note, I got the PDK as well and love it. It is part of the enjoyable experience when driving on the road, especially in traffic, and when in Sport Plus mode on the track it shifts so fast there is no break in the power. If you enjoy shifting yourself, I am sure you would enjoy the MT as well.

Neither choice is bad, and I'm sure you will be be happy with either.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:33 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
I really miss driving manual. Personally I have started to get a little sad that manufacturers are becoming so competitive with their tech that they are taking the visceral experience away from the driver.
So I have my M5 (leased for another 26 months) that I still enjoy for what it is. I have a commuter car that I use for rainy days or what have you. I live in upstate NY. The roads are decent.
The sound was probably my favorite aspect. It felt as if the exhaust was 3 feet from my right ear. This is key. Sound is a huge part of the experience I am looking for.
Given the background of what kind of driver I am, what moves me, and some of my preferences, can anyone shed some light on this?
You already have a "soft" car in the M5. Get the 7GT3 for those visceral, raw, and tactile early morning weekend drives.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

LOL...This is why it's so tough. John's response is very helpful (sorry man no way to PDK), but what hf1 is saying is also very relevant to this and is what makes this a tough decision because the only baseline I have is a brief drive in the 991S. It's pertinent to this whole thing that I have the M5, my luxury "race car" so I am looking for something on the opposite spectrum. I know both the 991S and the 997.2 GT3 can provide that for me. BUT, my concern is the harshness of the GT3. I do appreciate luxury characteristics in any car, otherwise I would just simply get a track car and problem solved, but is the GT3 so harsh that after a few months the allure and novelty wears off and I'm saying why did I get this thing because I don't use to it's fullest potential. I've heard about guys buying them and getting rid of them after a year or two cause they aren't very practical. Is is so harsh that if I want to go to a nice dinner all dressed up with my wife, she'll hate it? She's used to me being into cars and driving aggressive at times..but given what I've owned previously, is she going to hate it. These are the types of questions going through my head. It's not just about her cause it's my toy, but as other married men know, I'd prefer to avoid the bull****.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:35 AM
Harold1898
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Pazzo, do what the rest of us had to do, take them both for a ride and choose the one you prefer for your own driving context. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:21 AM
carbonGT
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Pazzo, I guess you will enjoy more with 991...I won't advise taking GT3 for a dinner.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:45 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I know WHY you can't choose. Your subcontious won't let you because it wants neither car, it wants the 991 gt3 :-)
It's the perfect marriage between the two you are putting forward.
Forget about proving your manlyhood with a MT, the new gt3 with its PDK. It's is a monster that will satisfy all your needs and more !
Old 09-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by bccars
I know WHY you can't choose. Your subcontious won't let you because it wants neither car, it wants the 991 gt3 :-)
It's the perfect marriage between the two you are putting forward.
Forget about proving your manlyhood with a MT, the new gt3 with its PDK. It's is a monster that will satisfy all your needs and more !
I hear ya, but the PDK is out of the question. I know the car is designed around that transmission and do not doubt it's abilities. I have a DCT in my M5 right now and that is part of the problem. I want a better connection with the car. Don't get me wrong, I have seen many pictures and I have seen one in white at the auto show and it's stunning. Porsche is being foolish only offering that car in PDK. I think they are not giving drivers what they want. I know there are purists out there that are disappointed by that.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
BUT, my concern is the harshness of the GT3. I do appreciate luxury characteristics in any car, otherwise I would just simply get a track car and problem solved, but is the GT3 so harsh that after a few months the allure and novelty wears off and I'm saying why did I get this thing because I don't use to it's fullest potential.
No one here can tell you whether a certain amount of harsh (raw, tactile, mechanical) would be too much for you. Personally, after not experiencing it for a week or two, I start craving it which is why I enjoy my 6GT3 in small doses for back-country drives (with the Motons set to softest) and on the track. It's for sipping like a single malt scotch, not as daily coffee in a half-gallon mug.

As for using cars to their fullest potential, that has long become suicidal on public roads in pretty much any car produced in the last thirty years. Not much difference between the S and the GT3 there.

I've heard about guys buying them and getting rid of them after a year or two cause they aren't very practical.
IMO, the 7GT3 would depreciate much less (if at all, given the no-manual new GT3's going forward) than a 991S over the next two years so the cost of changing your mind would be almost non-existent. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who, once they've got a GT3, can never go back to being GT3-less again.

Is is so harsh that if I want to go to a nice dinner all dressed up with my wife, she'll hate it?
Then take the M5 to dinners with her. If you didn't already have the M5 I'd concur that a 991S would probably be the better choice for you. Besides, chances are your wife will hate any car that you fall in love with. A little competition never hurt anyone.

In sum:
1. The chances that you will like the 991S are higher but if you do like the GT3 you will like it more and in ways different from the way you like the M5 (and the 991S).
2. The downside to getting the 991S is that you miss out on experiencing the above ways.
3. The downside to getting the 7GT3 is that you don't like it and sell it a year-two later at a minimal loss.
4. Consider the Cayman/Boxster S as a compromise. In order of difference of feel/experience from your M5: GT3 > Boxster/Cayman > 991S
Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
No one here can tell you whether a certain amount of harsh (raw, tactile, mechanical) would be too much for you. Personally, after not experiencing it for a week or two, I start craving it which is why I enjoy my 6GT3 in small doses for back-country drives (with the Motons set to softest) and on the track. It's for sipping like a single malt scotch, not as daily coffee in a half-gallon mug.

As for using cars to their fullest potential, that has long become suicidal on public roads in pretty much any car produced in the last thirty years. Not much difference between the S and the GT3 there.

IMO, the 7GT3 would depreciate much less (if at all, given the no-manual new GT3's going forward) than a 991S over the next two years so the cost of changing your mind would be almost non-existent. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who, once they've got a GT3, can never go back to being GT3-less again.

Then take the M5 to dinners with her. If you didn't already have the M5 I'd concur that a 991S would probably be the better choice for you. Besides, chances are your wife will hate any car that you fall in love with. A little competition never hurt anyone.

In sum:
1. The chances that you will like the 991S are higher but if you do like the GT3 you will like it more and in ways different from the way you like the M5 (and the 991S).
2. The downside to getting the 991S is that you miss out on experiencing the above ways.
3. The downside to getting the 7GT3 is that you don't like it and sell it a year-two later at a minimal loss.
4. Consider the Cayman/Boxster S as a compromise. In order of difference of feel/experience from your M5: GT3 > Boxster/Cayman > 991S
Wow, thank you very much. You have a lot of eye opening points. I also agree with most of what you are saying. The thing that scares me is I have already formed my pros and cons to both cars, but the only that keeps repeating is; Maybe the 991S is all I really need, and since I don't track the GT3 is overdoing it?

I don't want a vert so Boxter is out of the question. My brother had a Cayman S and it was amazing and the new one I've read is killing it's competition albeit I just don't see myself in one.

Here are the pro and cons I have as of now.

991S PROS
New body style is beautiful
New chassis is amazing from what I have read
More tech in the car
Awesome sound
I can lease cheaper vs financing GT3 and will be under warranty.
More obtainable
Can be built to spec
CONS
Not as exclusive
GT3 sounds better (from what people have said)
Doesn't have that Race car presence the GT3 has
Slightly slower

997.2 GT3 PROS
Sounds awesome
A street legal race car
Exclusive and rare
Last GT3 in manual
Metzger
CONS
Harsh ride
Rattles and noisy
Will not be tracked
Harder to find
Unlikely able to test drive
No rear seat
Not too versatile.

Feel free to correct me anyone
Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the 991 Carrera S IS all you need.
If you are not planning to track the car, than I don't see why you would want a GT3. Maybe the new one is a little bit better as a daily driver, but the 997 is IMO more suited for very, very inspired driving on roads and even more for use on track.
The 991 turns, with a push of a button, from a reasonably comfortble GT into a true sportscar that is not that much less inspired to drive on a road than the 997 GT3. The 991 is a car that's much easier to live with.
Sure the GT3 may be a bit more exclusive, but if you want exclusive, get your car with PTS and/or LTS and you have something that's really exclusive and exactly how you want it to be.
Just my $ 0.02

In the end, it's of course YOUR decision and you need to do what makes YOU most happy, regardless of what everybody here says. 100 different people give 100 different opinions and perspectives. Follow your heart!

Suzy991

Quick Reply: Decisions...991S or 997GT3- I know I'm not the first to ask.