Sponsored by:

New rotors and Pagid Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:30 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
how does one cryo-treat a set of rotors? I have used cryo-treated rotors on my last track car (E36 M3) and they did seem to make some difference.
Simply google search your area for cryo treatment. Your best deal will be local, as otherwise you'll pay a lot for shipping. You can do the rotors on your car now, or wait and have your next set cryo'd. Your call. Cryo treatment is definitely effective, although there tends to be a lot of smoke and mirrors claims about what it does, how it works, and especially having to do with certain cryo places making claims about their "special" treatments. (This seems to be less common with car parts than things like high end audio gear but you may run into it.)

I got to know a guy who does this as a business and saw first hand exactly how its done. A big freezer, basically an over-insulated chest freezer, is hooked up to a big tank of liquid nitrogen. The freezer is loaded with parts. Because of the economics and physics of it all everything is just (carefully) loaded in there. Depending on the place, "everything" can run the gamut from crankshafts and brake rotors to high end hunting knives to audiophile components to musical instruments. They load it up and top it off with nitrogen. Because of the mass it can take hours or days to cool down to -310F or so. Then the whole load is allowed to slowly return to room temp. A crazy amount of mystery surrounds this subject, at least in some quarters, but that really is all there is to it.

Afterwards, your rotors will last longer, with much more consistent braking feel, especially in the area of being able to modulate to stay at threshold braking. Your knife will hold a better edge. Your CD player, speaker cables and tubes will be wonderfully transformed. Actually, I don't have a high-end hunting knife, did some razor blades instead, but I've done all the rest. My guy charged me a dollar a pound, which makes sense as the true cost is in cooling mass - and yes I know pounds are not mass, but Americans are determined to avoid the metric system so lets just not go there, okay?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following the break in procedure is crucial. If you deviate from it even slightly, you won't have optimal break feel. For the longest time, I didn't understand why I would end up with a shudder, then realized I was dragging the brake too much!

If anyone is looking for rotors or pads for their P-car, let me know! We are one of the only Pagid distributors on the east coast.

Quick Reply: New rotors and Pagid Pads