Choosing 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
No choice
What about PDCC sport mode vs. normal mode? Any advantage tire wear either way?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
On the 991, you get Sport mode without Sport Chrono - that shifts aggressively for street driving. Only difference with SC are dynamic engine mounts and sport plus for 991. You will never use sport plus mode since it only shifts at redline. In the prior 997, SC was a must since u didn't even get sport mode. In 991, less important. And FYI, you can shift aggressively by putting PDK in manual mode
True - but even in manual, the shifts are different whether you are in normal, sport and sport plus modes. In normal mode - the gear shifts are "smoothed" out. In sport plus, there is the most aggressive shift when you press the button or pull the paddle or push the lever . I normally use sport plus in manual mode as its the most fun - albeit, not a big difference from sport. But a big difference to normal.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Sport Chrono, Bose or Burmeister, and PSE are the key options for a DD... I agree with others, that the engine noise is intoxicating, especially with PSE, but in reality when driving it every day, a nice radio is a must have... I would not do carbon fiber at 21 and trying to stay on budget, the others are all personal choice...

Why does it 'need' to be new? I would bet you could find a PDK 991S with very very low miles for a good price, and CPO with warranty...

Also, keep in mind that although you 'can' spend 100k, you don't need to.. at 21, I would get the basics that you want to really enjoy the car and save the rest of the cash...
Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 PM
byk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgent
I think Sport Chrono, Bose or Burmeister, and PSE are the key options for a DD... I agree with others, that the engine noise is intoxicating, especially with PSE, but in reality when driving it every day, a nice radio is a must have... I would not do carbon fiber at 21 and trying to stay on budget, the others are all personal choice...

Why does it 'need' to be new? I would bet you could find a PDK 991S with very very low miles for a good price, and CPO with warranty...

Also, keep in mind that although you 'can' spend 100k, you don't need to.. at 21, I would get the basics that you want to really enjoy the car and save the rest of the cash...
Thank you for your response!
I am still unsure about sport chrono, but actually might get it too many people say its a must have for Porsche.

I am not considering a used car as I just don't like the feeling of it. All the cars in our family were new, so all of my parents say to get a new one.

Bose audio will be enough for me, don't want to spend >5k on Burmester. Even though its amazing

I looked up in the configurator, carbon fiber interior package with center console insert is not that expensive, so I might look at it to get right away.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
so if PDCC saves tire wear, should I be driving in PDCC all the time?
On my car I think it's on all the time. 991S Cab. I always drive in Sport + in the city and Sport on the highway and manually shift the PDK.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, you will regret not getting PSE (Exhaust). No performance increase but fantastic sound.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgent
This is what I did. A very well optioned 991 C2S cab with 4,000 miles in mint condition. I let someone else take a 29,000 hit for owning the car for one year.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You are young, get a 911. Plenty of time to get a panamera when you get a wife and kids.
A C2 is a near perfect car in stock form. Options are there to tweak the car to your taste, they're not really must haves.

But some of them do come close to being must haves for me:
-PDK
-PASM
-PSE
-PTV Plus
-SportDesign Steeringwheel
-14-Way Seats
-5mm Wheel Spacers

So save some money from your budget by getting a C2 and option it wisely, use the saved money to get driver education. That education stays with you your whole life - unlike the options you specify that go with the car come selling time - and will probably make you a safer driver and more importantly will increase the enjoyment you will have from driving the car.

Originally Posted by byk
For options:
1. PDK is a must!
2. For seats, 14 way power Sport Seats leather
3. BOSE audio
4. Parktronic front and rear
5. Model designation "911"
6. Power Steering Plus
7. Sport Exhaust System (should I? I do not want to go any aftermarket exhaust but if there is something better and same price or cheaper, than I will)
8. NO sport chrono, not gonna use it and I hate that the clock of sport chrono reflects on the front windshield. uf
9. Seat heating + seat ventilation
10. Carbon fiber interior package (not sure, please advice me on that)

+ some tiny options from leather interior section and painted car key too

I will be happy to hear from you guys! this is going to be my first car, my own So I am very excited and want to hear some advice from you and hear your experience!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 PM
byk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bccars
You are young, get a 911. Plenty of time to get a panamera when you get a wife and kids.
A C2 is a near perfect car in stock form. Options are there to tweak the car to your taste, they're not really must haves.

-PDK
-PASM
-PSE
-PTV Plus
-14-Way Seats
-5mm Wheel Spacers

So save some money from your budget by getting a C2 and option it wisely, use the saved money to get driver education. That education stays with you your whole life - unlike the options you specify that go with the car come selling time - and will probably make you a safer driver and more importantly will increase the enjoyment you will have from driving the car.
Hey, thanks for your response! I am not looking to put some options I won't be using. I will redo all of my configuration for couple times and see what's the best configuration for my price is.
Thanks
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM
meine911
Racer

Originally Posted by byk
Originally Posted by bccars

-PDK
-PASM
-PSE
-PTV Plus
-14-Way Seats
-5mm Wheel Spacers

Hey, thanks for your response! I am not looking to put some options I won't be using. I will redo all of my configuration for couple times and see what's the best configuration for my price is.
Thanks
Good luck. And always know that if you added nothing to the base, you will still have a great car.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 PM
byk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meine911
Good luck. And always know that if you added nothing to the base, you will still have a great car.
For sure but still PDK is must have everything else can be dropped
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 432 Posts

This is what I did. A very well optioned 991 C2S cab with 4,000 miles in mint condition. I let someone else take a 29,000 hit for owning the car for one year.
+1 I just purchased a 2012 991 "S" for the same $29K below the sticker price. It has 5K miles and still smells new inside. Plus the PO had clear bra installed on the entire front clip from the doors forward plus the mirrors and the roof up to the sunroof opening.

I'm in Texas and find that the ventilated seats are among the best option on the car.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 PM
meine911
Racer

Originally Posted by byk
Originally Posted by meine911
For sure but still PDK is must have everything else can be dropped
Okay. Take a little fun out of it
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM
speedwell
7th Gear

My two cents...
You can't really go wrong with either, it just depends on your needs and wants. For me, the Panamera Turbo seemed right but with further consideration, I went with a C4S since I already had a people hauler/road tripper (Suburban) and an fuel efficient town car (Prius). Furthermore, I was not going to consider the 4 based on a test drive of the Panamera 4 which I found to be sluggish, but the Carerra 4 handles very differently (better) so I would recommend you try both a C2 and C4 to be certain. Make the decision for yourself based on test driving and do not be swayed by what others write. For me, I drive winding canyon roads and the 4 is noticeably faster and more responsive in that it allows you to brake later and accelerate sooner. The 4 also has a wider stance and fender flares if that matters to you. If you have eliminated the Panamera and are decided on the 2 already then my advice would be to forgo as many options as necessary to afford the S power as this is the most noticeable and satisfying option that you will experinence. IMHO, options such as full leather, PDK and PDCC add significantly to price while offering little by way of either driving satisfaction or resale/residual.
To address your questions one by one:
Color - matter of personal preference. I got white which has never been a favorite of mine but it does showcase the modern lines of the 991 better than darker colors; interior color much the same but for the North East in Winter, black isn’t a bad choice.
PDK – if you must. An excellent transmission but a hard choice given the additional cost when the 7 speed is both satisfying and free. If Porsche is going to push the PDK over the manual, they should find a way to reduce the cost of this option.
Seats – 18 way adaptive sport is very comfortable but so are all of the other seats. To get these seats somewhat economically, I got the P07 adaptive sport seat plus option for $3825 and added P3F premium package for an additional $620 rather than pay $6155 for P3C premium package plus with adaptive sport seats plus. I didn’t need ventilated from seats and avoided paying the additional $1750 or so for them.
Bose – what I have and it works just great. Engine sound is the sweetest music to my ears and I would never spend 5K on Burmester although I’m sure it’s excellent.
Parktronic – get it, you’ll need it. Front of car is surprisingly long and distances hard to judge. On pulling into my garage, I’m always shocked when Parktronic tells me to stop, thinking there is room.
Model Designation – personal preference. I got talked into the model designation on doors but deleted from rear and suppose it’s slightly sportier but don’t feel strongly one way or the other.
Power Steering Plus – I didn’t do this and stand by my decision. Porsche’s switch to electronic steering was enough change for me. Maybe next go around I’ll consider it but right now I’m liking the “feel” of the 4S in combo with the “regular” steering.
Sport Exhaust – for the price I’m not aware of anything as good that’s cheaper (see previous post). Has a weird warble but eventually grows on you. If you lease, your terms may prohibit aftermarket exhaust installation anyway. If you buy, good luck getting anything on resale.
Sport Chrono – I have it and use it as it integrates well with Sport Exhaust. Sport Plus mode that comes with it works nicely with the 7 speed manual (and probably even better with PDK)
Seat heating/ventilation – if you must. Regardless of regional location, I would probably choose ventilation over heating or none at all but I didn’t (and still can’t) figure out an economical way to do this – see my ‘seats’ comment (above).
Carbon Fiber – at $1990 I would save your money. I didn’t get the leather dash and have the normal Galvanos silver inserts and it looks great.
To summarize, I recommend spending your budget in following order: car, park assist, wheels (check out platinum if you go with White exterior),bi-xenon lights with PDLS, sunroof (glass looks good with lighter colored cars), Bose, MF wheel (much more useable than SD wheel) sport chrono, sport exhaust.
At the end of the day these are all just champagne problems. You are a lucky young man to be able to consider a Porsche. Acknowledge your good fortune and enjoy the privilege responsibly.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 PM
byk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedwell
My two cents...
You can't really go wrong with either, it just depends on your needs and wants. For me, the Panamera Turbo seemed right but with further consideration, I went with a C4S since I already had a people hauler/road tripper (Suburban) and an fuel efficient town car (Prius). Furthermore, I was not going to consider the 4 based on a test drive of the Panamera 4 which I found to be sluggish, but the Carerra 4 handles very differently (better) so I would recommend you try both a C2 and C4 to be certain. Make the decision for yourself based on test driving and do not be swayed by what others write. For me, I drive winding canyon roads and the 4 is noticeably faster and more responsive in that it allows you to brake later and accelerate sooner. The 4 also has a wider stance and fender flares if that matters to you. If you have eliminated the Panamera and are decided on the 2 already then my advice would be to forgo as many options as necessary to afford the S power as this is the most noticeable and satisfying option that you will experinence. IMHO, options such as full leather, PDK and PDCC add significantly to price while offering little by way of either driving satisfaction or resale/residual.
To address your questions one by one:
Color - matter of personal preference. I got white which has never been a favorite of mine but it does showcase the modern lines of the 991 better than darker colors; interior color much the same but for the North East in Winter, black isn’t a bad choice.
PDK – if you must. An excellent transmission but a hard choice given the additional cost when the 7 speed is both satisfying and free. If Porsche is going to push the PDK over the manual, they should find a way to reduce the cost of this option.
Seats – 18 way adaptive sport is very comfortable but so are all of the other seats. To get these seats somewhat economically, I got the P07 adaptive sport seat plus option for $3825 and added P3F premium package for an additional $620 rather than pay $6155 for P3C premium package plus with adaptive sport seats plus. I didn’t need ventilated from seats and avoided paying the additional $1750 or so for them.
Bose – what I have and it works just great. Engine sound is the sweetest music to my ears and I would never spend 5K on Burmester although I’m sure it’s excellent.
Parktronic – get it, you’ll need it. Front of car is surprisingly long and distances hard to judge. On pulling into my garage, I’m always shocked when Parktronic tells me to stop, thinking there is room.
Model Designation – personal preference. I got talked into the model designation on doors but deleted from rear and suppose it’s slightly sportier but don’t feel strongly one way or the other.
Power Steering Plus – I didn’t do this and stand by my decision. Porsche’s switch to electronic steering was enough change for me. Maybe next go around I’ll consider it but right now I’m liking the “feel” of the 4S in combo with the “regular” steering.
Sport Exhaust – for the price I’m not aware of anything as good that’s cheaper (see previous post). Has a weird warble but eventually grows on you. If you lease, your terms may prohibit aftermarket exhaust installation anyway. If you buy, good luck getting anything on resale.
Sport Chrono – I have it and use it as it integrates well with Sport Exhaust. Sport Plus mode that comes with it works nicely with the 7 speed manual (and probably even better with PDK)
Seat heating/ventilation – if you must. Regardless of regional location, I would probably choose ventilation over heating or none at all but I didn’t (and still can’t) figure out an economical way to do this – see my ‘seats’ comment (above).
Carbon Fiber – at $1990 I would save your money. I didn’t get the leather dash and have the normal Galvanos silver inserts and it looks great.
To summarize, I recommend spending your budget in following order: car, park assist, wheels (check out platinum if you go with White exterior),bi-xenon lights with PDLS, sunroof (glass looks good with lighter colored cars), Bose, MF wheel (much more useable than SD wheel) sport chrono, sport exhaust.
At the end of the day these are all just champagne problems. You are a lucky young man to be able to consider a Porsche. Acknowledge your good fortune and enjoy the privilege responsibly.
Wow, that is some valuable comment! Thank You for your time!
Considering all of your comments, and playing in the configurator, I stopped at:

PDK
BOSE
Sport Exhaust
Carrera S wheels (gonna paint them black after for $250/wheel - cheaper)
Guards Red
Black interior
Bi-Xenon lights
ParkAssist front and rear
14 way seats with leather interior
Red seat belts
Red speedometer
Seat heating & ventilation
Sport Chrono

Comes up to $106k.

This would be a perfect car for me as DD and I'll have all the options I need.
If there is something important I am missing, please let me know.

Quick Reply: Choosing 991