Choosing 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 AM
byk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing 991

Hi everyone,

First of all, I want to say hi to everyone, as I am a newly registered member. I've been reading the forum for a long time, as I am a huge fan of Porsche, now, when I am about to order my Porsche, I decided to register and talk to you guys before.

So Porsche is my favorite car. I've been driving many cars for the last 6 years (since I started driving). Yes I like BMWs, Mercedes, Audis are okay haha but Porsche is the best and I am sure you think the same!

Two main candidates are Carrera 991 and Panamera 970. I love both of them and I am SOOOOO confused what I really want. On one thing, I am only 21 and the coupe is the perfect choice for me as a DD, I am sure I will enjoy it a lot! On the other hand, Panamera is a little more comfortable, has space for 4 people, so when my family comes, I can meet them at the airport and we can go to a roadtrip etc.

The main criteria is the budget. I have around $100k for the MSRP. Okay, maybe I can pull it up to $105-$107k, not more. Looking at this price I can get:

1. 911 Carrera with nice options
2. 911 Carrera S not too many options
3. Panamera S well-optioned (I really like GTS but it goes up to $125 the one I want so I will hold on with that for now).

I do not want 4 wheel drive as I want some drive and during winter its okay with me because back home I drove such a bad conditions so I can survive in here haha

My top choice from that list is #1: 911 Carrera with nice options. Let me tell you more.

Exterior Colors I am considering: #1: Guards Red. #2: Dark Blue Metallic. #3: Sapphire Blue Metallic. #4: Black. #5: White.

Interior Colors: Black only

Wheels: 20' Carrera S wheels (painted black or standard silver)

I attach some pics as example (did not find exact variations, but chose the close ones I could).

For options:
1. PDK is a must!
2. For seats, 14 way power Sport Seats leather
3. BOSE audio
4. Parktronic front and rear
5. Model designation "911"
6. Power Steering Plus
7. Sport Exhaust System (should I? I do not want to go any aftermarket exhaust but if there is something better and same price or cheaper, than I will)
8. NO sport chrono, not gonna use it and I hate that the clock of sport chrono reflects on the front windshield. uf
9. Seat heating + seat ventilation
10. Carbon fiber interior package (not sure, please advice me on that)

+ some tiny options from leather interior section and painted car key too

I will be happy to hear from you guys! this is going to be my first car, my own So I am very excited and want to hear some advice from you and hear your experience!

I love Porsche so much haha especially now, when I will have my own soon.
I even have a case PORSCHE for my iPhone 5 that I am looking at the whole day

Name:  user32864_pic28491_1358968544.jpg
Views: 4787
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  2012-Porsche-991-Carrera-S-PDK-black-black-005.jpg
Views: 16459
Size:  625.6 KB

Name:  aquablue991ssideview_0116.jpg
Views: 4927
Size:  149.3 KB

Name:  6893545260_b2f52cbf61_z.jpg
Views: 9139
Size:  149.1 KB

Name:  photo11.jpg
Views: 5840
Size:  109.4 KB
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2013, 02:35 AM
airblizzard
5th Gear

Without Sport Chrono your PDk shifts will be a bit slower, and the car less racey, but if you're fine with that, go ahead. Not everyone agrees with the wart. Power steering plus is unnecessary, I would drop it and save some dough. Carbon fiber trim is up to you and if you can justify the price and like the look. Personally, I don't, but that's up to personal taste.

Other than that, everything looks fine.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sport Chrono is a MUST with PDK. Without Sport Chrono the PDK will have one mode, which will be "granny tranny." It will shift very early and you will be in 6th gear by 40 to 45 MPH.

On the 997.2 you could retrofit Sport Chrono without the clock. Ask your dealer if SC can be retrofitted on the 991. If so, that would be your best option, because you will get the performance of three different shift mapping options without the clock.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 AM
byk
Rennlist Member

Okay. I did not know the transmission programmed differently without sport chrono, I thought it just adds launch control to the car. I will need to find out if I can get it without clock but I am pretty sure I can not.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 991, you get Sport mode without Sport Chrono - that shifts aggressively for street driving. Only difference with SC are dynamic engine mounts and sport plus for 991. You will never use sport plus mode since it only shifts at redline. In the prior 997, SC was a must since u didn't even get sport mode. In 991, less important. And FYI, you can shift aggressively by putting PDK in manual mode

Originally Posted by gota911
Sport Chrono is a MUST with PDK. Without Sport Chrono the PDK will have one mode, which will be "granny tranny." It will shift very early and you will be in 6th gear by 40 to 45 MPH.

On the 997.2 you could retrofit Sport Chrono without the clock. Ask your dealer if SC can be retrofitted on the 991. If so, that would be your best option, because you will get the performance of three different shift mapping options without the clock.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I love the look of carbon fiber bits and ordered the package on my S4 when I ordered it a few years back. But it only cost a few hundred bucks. Porsche carbon fiber is INSANELY expensive and I skipped it in order to get more functional options.

Of course my big downfall was selecting the INSANELY expensive two-tone leather.

Too many pricey choices. Dang you, Porsche, dang you to heck!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

It really depends on what you want and budget. The base 911 is plenty for most, trust me. In order of importance for me the following these are the options I think are the best bang for buck, 1- Sport Design Steering Wheel, at USD 300, best option, 2-PASM, less than $800 and great suspension stiffener 3- PDCC, that is debatable due to cost, but PDCC also helps you save tires so there is a return on investment. 4- Sport exhaust, expensive and useless in terms of performance, but sounds fantastic. 5- Sport and SC, yes it is nice, but not needed, meaning that you can shift yourself. I used launch control once, it is not like you are going to drag race all the time, So if you use PDK in manual mode it makes no difference. Yes there are other options like sunroof, light design, Sport steering plus etc that are comfort optional that go with the taste of the owner. Worthless options in my opinion the Bose or Burmeister, 5k for a radio, the radio I like is the flat6 behind me.
For a new car, base Carrera is the best bang for the buck, in the Used car market get a lightly used S with as many options you can.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 AM
byk
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by spourreza
On the 991, you get Sport mode without Sport Chrono - that shifts aggressively for street driving. Only difference with SC are dynamic engine mounts and sport plus for 991. You will never use sport plus mode since it only shifts at redline. In the prior 997, SC was a must since u didn't even get sport mode. In 991, less important. And FYI, you can shift aggressively by putting PDK in manual mode
I am not a fan of sport chrono, its pretty cool yeah, but it is too expensive. Especially gonna use it only couple times, I bet.
If sport mode or manual mode will work pretty good, then I'm cool with that.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM
byk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradB
I love the look of carbon fiber bits and ordered the package on my S4 when I ordered it a few years back. But it only cost a few hundred bucks. Porsche carbon fiber is INSANELY expensive and I skipped it in order to get more functional options.

Of course my big downfall was selecting the INSANELY expensive two-tone leather.

Too many pricey choices. Dang you, Porsche, dang you to heck!
I like basic aluminium too, it looks pretty good with balck interior. In case I get bored, I can always order carbon parts from the dealer and get them installed.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 AM
byk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Augustomf
It really depends on what you want and budget. The base 911 is plenty for most, trust me. In order of importance for me the following are the options I think are the best bang for buck, 1- Sport Design Steering Wheel, at USD 300, best option, 2-PASM, less than $800 and great suspension stiffener 3- PDCC, that is debatable due to cost, but PDCC also helps you save tires so there is a return on investment. 4- Sport exhaust, expensive and useless in terms of performance, but sounds fantastic. 5- Sport and SC, yes it is nice, but not needed, meaning that you can shift yourself. I use launch control once, it is not like you are going to drag race all the time, So if use PDK in manual mode it makes no difference. Yes there are other options like sunroof, light design, Sport steering plus etc that are comfort optional that go with the taste of the owner. Worthless options in my opinion the Bose or Burmeister, 5k for a radio, the radio I like is the 6flat behind me.
For a new car, base Carrera is the best bang for the buck, in the Used car market get a lightly used S with as many options you can.
My budget is $100k, maybe a little more. I do not want to get S version due to the price and I can get less options on that.
I will consider PASM, thanks for the advice, I was looking at that too.
Sport exhaust I just want some nice sound and I like that you can control it with the button (on/off) from the inside, so I am more likely to get it from Porsche than put aftermarket later on.
PDCC I am not getting for sure, it is too expensive.

I am looking on new cars only, from the dealership
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

so if PDCC saves tire wear, should I be driving in PDCC all the time?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
so if PDCC saves tire wear, should I be driving in PDCC all the time?
No choice
Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 AM
JamesKen
Instructor

I think the chrome looks good on black and you can buy the carbon parts cheaper at a later date. You can also get the painted key part at a later date. I would also get rid of the steering assist and recommend you get sport chrono.

Oh you are 21 get the 911.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 AM
byk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesKen
I think the chrome looks good on black and you can buy the carbon parts cheaper at a later date. You can also get the painted key part at a later date. I would also get rid of the steering assist and recommend you get sport chrono.

Oh you are 21 get the 911.
Get 911 instead of panamera s? I think so too. 911 will be enough space for me for DD and I am so excited about it, however, I like panamera too.

For carbon parts, I think I will get them later, either from the dealer or smth like TechArt.
Never thought Streering assist would be useless, also it is pretty cheap so I was considering it, but now, crossed off
Sport chrono, still thinking about, but probably not.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Kosmo is correct, PDCC is always on, it is an active suspension system. If your car is a PDCC equiped car, PDCC replaces the regular torsion bar, with ones that are linked to a damper that acts whent the car turns, so it is always on.
Yes, another item that can brake and go wrong, but while it works it is really impressive, and that is what the 4year warranty is for.

Quick Reply: Choosing 991