Sponsored by:

rear bumper very fragile - Interesting observation

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:02 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear bumper very fragile - Interesting observation

So right next to the "P"orsche emblem on the rear bumper, there is (it’s been there for awhile now but now it’s beginning to bother me) a small indent (actually 2 small ones). It’s a black car so you can see it in certain light as it reflects. Took it to the dealer to have one of their ding wizard gurus look at it. What he said is that he has noticed small indents in the top half of the bumpers on the 991’s a lot and you can see it more with the dark colors – especially around the letters and the top edges of the bumpers. Interestingly, he attributes them to the detailers that use high speed orbital’s. He thinks as the detailers are trying to work around the letters and the top edges of the bumper, they are creating minor small indents in the bumper with the edges of the orbital’s. The combination of using the edge of the orbital while trying to work around the letters coupled with vibration from the machine is leaving minor dents. You can even feel that the top half of the bumper can easily be pushed it. I can probably push it in with my figure.

Much to my dismay, he said these types of repairs on plastic bumpers are virtually impossible to fix unlike the rest of the car. You have to change the bumper. Do you agree with this? Is a bumper that hard to repair (i.e. smooth out small indent)?

Also, anyone else notice this issue on the rear bumper of the 991 or am I being too critical? I did have to point out the issue – he had trouble finding it.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

I think it is of the same quality as any plastic bumper cap on any car.

Then again, you may have contracted black Porsche owner disease. Now, about your figure...
Old 08-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OMG...I have to go look at mine!!! Yes Chuck...black car owner's disease...it's a fine line between devotion and madness.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:28 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its most likely the paint as opposed to the plastic bumper.
If a detailer did this they are idiots, especially if they are using an orbital.
A good detailer would use a da polisher in sensitive areas.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe Moe Mistry will chime in on this one
Old 08-23-2013, 02:19 AM
DBYT
Pro

The paint on our bumpers is soft. I have the same annoying gouges and indents in my bumper near the letters.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

If they are more 'dings' than scuffs, I find it hard to believe an orbital would cause it.

Check some new cars next time you are at your dealer - I wonder if there might be minor imperfections in the material to begin with.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 AM
spourreza
Pro

Nope, no scuffs and no sign of paint damage.

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
If they are more 'dings' than scuffs, I find it hard to believe an orbital would cause it.

Check some new cars next time you are at your dealer - I wonder if there might be minor imperfections in the material to begin with.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
OMG...I have to go look at mine!!! Yes Chuck...black car owner's disease...it's a fine line between devotion and madness.
Henceforth: PBCOD.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 AM
spourreza
Pro

I do think its in the paint. Cant feel the indent like a door ding. Is there a way to pop these out or no? I figure no since its plastic
Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen "dents" in plastic unless caused by an impact and that is usually accompanied by paint damage. I would think slight imperfections in the bumper surface magnified by the black paint. The red behind on my car looks smooth as a baby's, of course I'm the only one that washes or waxes it too.

Quick Reply: rear bumper very fragile - Interesting observation