Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with daily driver!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

My car is in for its "intermediate" service. I have an Audi Q7 loaner. Nice machine if you are into fancy trucks. I would prefer a Panamera if I was looking for a large DD.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 08-16-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Driving 90 miles per day, your best choice is a Mercedes ML CDI.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:22 PM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if warranty is a factor for you but Porsche's 6 yr 100,000 Mile warranty is the same as factory warranty so if you want a porsche certified series a year or two old you'll have nothing to worry about specially with the mileage you'll be putting on. My business partner has a turbo (power aside) is a very a comfortable ride and VERY capable in the snow! Up here in Toronto, we get enough of the white stuff to make SUV decision really worth while as a DD.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:53 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I am thinking. Porsche certified warranty is tilting me towards Cayenne. Plus, I still have a semi feeling that I am still driving my 991 during the week given similar interior etc...well kind of! that way, I drive 991 on weekend and cayenne during the week. Not a bad deal. On the Pani, don't like rear of car. On the MB, looks too much like a minivan.

Originally Posted by XLOR8T
I don't know if warranty is a factor for you but Porsche's 6 yr 100,000 Mile warranty is the same as factory warranty so if you want a porsche certified series a year or two old you'll have nothing to worry about specially with the mileage you'll be putting on. My business partner has a turbo (power aside) is a very a comfortable ride and VERY capable in the snow! Up here in Toronto, we get enough of the white stuff to make SUV decision really worth while as a DD.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 674 Posts

We have A6s since 1992. They seem to get better with every iteration. I may be wrong, but it seems like the increase in size (and cost) of the A8 is biased too much to rear seat room if you don't have a driver and you're always sitting up front. We have an '08 A6 right now for my wife's DD and road trips. We'll probably get another one if this one ever dies. Of course, I have a Tundra, so we have no need for SUV.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

You should consider diesel - Audi is really good and they are now making a Cayenne diesel.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry991
You should consider diesel - Audi is really good and they are now making a Cayenne diesel.
Exactly! with 90 miles a day that's probably the best choice. I use my Q5 3.0TDI as my business car (45k-50k miles a year) and I average about 48mpg (70%highway/30%city). Power isn't a problem since there's always a lot of torque available. Very comfy, yet pretty sporty drive (for a SUV). SQ5 would even be better, but I think in US it comes with a petrol engine instead of the magnificent BiTurbo diesel??

Suzy991
Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Originally Posted by Jerry991
Exactly! with 90 miles a day that's probably the best choice. I use my Q5 3.0TDI as my business car (45k-50k miles a year) and I average about 48mpg (70%highway/30%city). Power isn't a problem since there's always a lot of torque available. Very comfy, yet pretty sporty drive (for a SUV). SQ5 would even be better, but I think in US it comes with a petrol engine instead of the magnificent BiTurbo diesel??

Suzy991
Wow! 48 mpg? The 3.0 TDI is available in U.S. but claims 24 city/31 hwy/27 ave. And diesel has no special price versus gasoline. It has been costing more. No tax incentives yet.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:36 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

FWIW, I bought a 2013 VW Touareg TDI and could't be more pleased. I shopped Cayenne's as well but the Touareg was the way better value. And it is extremely quiet and refined. The torque and drivability is awesome and the incredible fuel mileage is a bonus.

I drove Cayenne diesel and gas models and thought that they were a bit noisy especially when compared to the TDI. I could hear a lot of engine noise, and not necessarily in a good way. The salesman pointed out that they pipe in engine noise on purpose. I questioned him as to why they did that and he said that to some people this is their ONLY Porsche and they want the experience. I guess I understand that logic now. But I chose the TDI. (And kept an extra $20k in my pocket.) I am lucky in that I have a Cayman S and a 993 for the experience. In my SUV I wanted comfort and quiet.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by meine911

Wow! 48 mpg? The 3.0 TDI is available in U.S. but claims 24 city/31 hwy/27 ave. And diesel has no special price versus gasoline. It has been costing more. No tax incentives yet.
Sorry, I now see that I had my converting app on UK mpg instead of US mpg. And I gave my highway average, not the total average. Oops.... I have to convert everything, so forgive me for messing things up sometimes

On long trips from Switzerland to Belgium (550miles, ave 135km/h) I get 17km/L. that converts to 40 US mpg. When I drive only in citytraffic, then it drops to about 12km/L, which converts to 28mpg. My average is around 15km/L, depending on the circumstances. That is 35mpg.
Still better than what the claims are for US.

The official claims from Audi here in Europe are:
City: 33mpg (14,1km/L)
Highway: 41mpg (17,6km/L)
Average: 36mpg (15,6km/L)

It's strange that those claims don't match with the US claims. But all diesels are very fuel economic compared to petrol engines and they are so refined these days, that you don't notice the difference anymore. The only thing you immediately notice is tons of torque from about 1300rpm and a red line at about 4200rpm. I remember 20 years ago, when I was a kid, when my dad drove his BMW 7 series diesel, that it sounded like a tractor when the engine was cold. LOL

Suzy991
Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991

Sorry, I now see that I had my converting app on UK mpg instead of US mpg. And I gave my highway average, not the total average. Oops.... I have to convert everything, so forgive me for messing things up sometimes

On long trips from Switzerland to Belgium (550miles, ave 135km/h) I get 17km/L. that converts to 40 US mpg. When I drive only in citytraffic, then it drops to about 12km/L, which converts to 28mpg. My average is around 15km/L, depending on the circumstances. That is 35mpg.
Still better than what the claims are for US.

The official claims from Audi here in Europe are:
City: 33mpg (14,1km/L)
Highway: 41mpg (17,6km/L)
Average: 36mpg (15,6km/L)

It's strange that those claims don't match with the US claims. But all diesels are very fuel economic compared to petrol engines and they are so refined these days, that you don't notice the difference anymore. The only thing you immediately notice is tons of torque from about 1300rpm and a red line at about 4200rpm. I remember 20 years ago, when I was a kid, when my dad drove his BMW 7 series diesel, that it sounded like a tractor when the engine was cold. LOL

Suzy991
You generally have higher cetane in your diesel which is higher quality and more efficient. That is probably some of the delta.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

You generally have higher cetane in your diesel which is higher quality and more efficient. That is probably some of the delta.
Mmm okay! And again I learned something new didn't have a clue that there was a difference between the diesel, sold in Europe and the U.S.
Thanks

Suzy991
Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
Hi everyone, need some help with a daily driver. Wife has her toy. I have mine. Now I am looking for a second car for myself given that the 991 is becoming a weekend toy. Moving a bit farther from NYC so would rather not drive 991 too much on highway (bad roads). Money not too much of a factor but would like to buy pre-owned (2010-12) since I will be putting on about 90 miles total per day. I would rather buy someone else's depreciation on this purchase.

Here is what I am thinking (keep in mind I am in the NYC area and will need to deal with winter weather):

Pre-owned:
A) Cayenne S or GTS
B) Range Rover full size
C) X6

What do you think? Any other choices?
Just drive the 991. Its more fun to drive! Why worry about the miles? I have 23k+ on my 991s after 1 year of daily driving. I will get rid of it at 75k miles or so and get the then best DD sports car out...likely the 2016 991GTS with 450+ hp or so. New cars are not worth worrying about. Use them up and get a new one.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:05 AM
ColoradoCayenne
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The Cayenne is fantastic, and would lead my top choices. I just love Porsche's sportiness as well as the fit and finish. If you want some economy, check out the diesel. I just drove one at the Porsche World Road Show and it was quiet and had great torque. You really wouldn't know it was a diesel. There should be some 2012's starting to hit the used market.

Land Rover has stepped it up and would be one of a few SUV's I would purchase (the other being a Mercedes Benz - I currently own a 2013 G550 and wouldn't suggest it for your application). The new Range Rover looks amazing, and I have always been pleased with my Rovers over the years, despite their reputation. If you are going used, I am sure a great deal can be had on a 2012 RR. The dealerships here were making huge concessions on them last year to make room for the new model. I'm sure you can pick up a supercharged version and would be thrilled with it.

Happy shopping!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wife has the new model GL450 and loves it - very luxurious and amazingly comfortable ride. If you're looking for highway comfort would definitely recommend you test drive one. As noted above, if looking for sporty handling then BMW or Porsche.

Oh, and as the GL450 has the same engine, but detuned, as the GL550 - which is a biturbo V8 - would highly recommended an ECU tune for a huge torque and HP gain for very little cost

Quick Reply: Help with daily driver!