Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Must Have" Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 04:28 PM
DrGiggles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knw adaptive cruise doesnt get a lot of love on these boards, but i am very glad i opted in
Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hudyman
. . . . I bought a brand new 991 in December for less than $78k . . . .
A new C2 for "less than $78K"? Hard to imagine that's possible.

Edit: I posed this question twice to the source of the original post some time ago. I asked for the name of the dealer or a POC. No response.

Last edited by Mechanic; 08-20-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:29 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGiggles
I knw adaptive cruise doesnt get a lot of love on these boards, but i am very glad i opted in
But do you consider it a must have?

As far as I'm concerned if I had a very limited budget, the only "must have" would be a bare-bone base 911.

Everything else can be added down the road. Suspension, exhaust, tuning, wheels, etc.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 323 Likes on 195 Posts

The pattern is clear. The only must options are the ones you want.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The pattern is clear. The only must options are the ones you want.
Well, I guess that's true. But for me, this has been very informative about options to consider. I have also been happy to read a number of comments from others stating that the "basic" car is so good, you don't need $10k of suspension/exhaust/etc. upgrades to make it a really fun and enjoyable experience.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a used C2s, just got it delivered last Sunday. Love the PSE, and PDCC is questinable but I like it. I use to have a stick 993, and still have a manual MINI (fun car to drive), but the PDK shifts 10 times faster than I could in either cars. The only issue is starting off in 1st gear, it is different than stick in the sense that you cannot get the RPMs up before going into gear (unless in launch control), otherwise it is a pleasure to drive, downshifting is awesome the cars revs up to match the gear and it sounds and feels great. Other optins I like, PASM, PTV, and the ventilated seats, great for the Florida weather.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy

Well, I guess that's true. But for me, this has been very informative about options to consider. I have also been happy to read a number of comments from others stating that the "basic" car is so good, you don't need $10k of suspension/exhaust/etc. upgrades to make it a really fun and enjoyable experience.
That's right chiboy! It's brilliant bone stock. Options are only to tweak it according to ones taste. They are no necessities in the strict sense of the word.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
yonkers
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf
The only issue is starting off in 1st gear, it is different than stick in the sense that you cannot get the RPMs up before going into gear (unless in launch control)
You can do the mini launch control. Stolen from 6speed

"Mini launch control"

Very simple:

1) Left foot on brake.
2) Hit the throttle with right foot (quickly, so it releases the clutch).
3) RPM will be at around 4000 (depends on normal or sport mode).
4) Take left foot off brake.
5) Enjoy.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

must have option: winding roads in close proximity
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hammer911
must have option: winding roads in close proximity
That is soo true!!! Having just moved to Miami that is what miss the most, here all road are flat and strait. Whether on a Mini S or a 993 or a 991s, the joy of driving in a winding uphill road is what driving is all about. I envy our California friends.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

"Must Have" is certainly relative, isn't it. I don't "need" any of the cars I have and few of the options. But once I stretched and acquired what I have the "must have" list keeps growing.

My story all started with PDK. I've loved the idea of it for several years but never actually drove it. The ability to be more relaxed in traffic (90% of my driving) and allow more focus in keeping the car pointed on the track (10% of my driving) had me wishing for it. Then the most recent PDK iteration was developed and I was hooked!

My intent was to trade in my Cayman S and get a new CS. And it is a lovely car. It's abilities on the track are unquestionable. I test drove several CS with different options and quite soon I was configuring one that was nearing the $90k mark. Oh my! In my head I was thinking "I'm giving away my car and tossing in almost $60 grand and I will still have a Cayman." Ok, I know it's not that simple. I realize the two cars are very different. But still.

Then I made the "mistake" of driving 991's on the same day, back to back with the Cayman. I loved the Cayman, I really did. But the Carrera was amazing. And the Carrera S "spoke to me"! It was the hardest to get out of. It was faster, of course, but is was so much more refined than I had expected. The ride was fantastic. It was incredibly stable. It had less tire noise in the cabin. It could be truly relaxing in traffic or push a few buttons and it could be manic and racy. I loved the dual personality. And for some crazy reason, I had become a bit annoyed with the Cayman engine and induction racket just over my shoulder and was happier with the exhaust note of the Carrera a little more distant.

So now my wish list started with a 991S. After all, my data point is already starting with $90k of Cayman money. (Funny how you can justify things to yourself.) So it was easier to start building a carefully optioned 991S. First box ticked was PDK. Another kink in the plan was that I am coming from a highly optioned Cayman S so I didn't want to lose any of those options I've come to enjoy if I am "moving up" to another car. I have Sport Seats Plus now and wanted to keep it. I have Two-Tone Leather now which to my eye, provides a more interesting interior look. Sports Chrono , Dimming Mirrors, Heated Seats, too. So the basic Premium Package made sense. Check, check, check. I really wanted the paddle shifters instead of the buttons because I am already used to those in my Audi S4. So Sport Design Steering Wheel is a must. Sports Exhaust is a must. C'mon, try it once and you are hooked. I really never use a sunroof but considered it necessary for resale. I chose the Standard Sunroof. I also got Bose for resale even though I am not an audiophile I appreciate the little HD and iPod conveniences for long drives. That's $2k that stings the most for me. Other options I liked but could have lived without but thought, what the heck, these are "cheap" for Porsche options are Power Steering Plus and Power Folding Mirrors. I got Park Assist because it has saved me in other non-Porsche cars and I am getting more careless (or paranoid) in my old age. I did opt for the Sport Techno wheels, but could have lived with the base wheels just as easily. Maybe because I don't see them on the road so often and wanted to be different. This was a tough one for me. I find the grey tachometer face hard to read so I opted for no cost Black Gauges. I also opted for the FREE interior console Storage Net. Woo hoo!

I even looked hard at base colors to save me money but the Rhodium Silver reminds me of my Polar Silver 993 so I stuck with it. The Two-Tone Black and Platinum Leather is also similar to my 993 and, I think, looks striking.

Things I wanted but had to pass on: PDCC- too expensive and I would probably only appreciate the technology on the track. White Gauges - love the look. Can't justify the price. Embossed Crests - had to draw the line somewhere.

Sorry for the epic post, but that's what I ordered. I oozed myself up to $126k MSRP. Yikes. It comes sometime in November. Gonna feel like a loooooong time.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Bwahahahahahahaha! Excellent. I would love to buy your car used. In about five years it should be in range... ;-) It is a tough call with 991 options. On the one hand you are already spending beaucoup bucks and don't want to add an extra $25k for stuff that is standard on Camrys (slight exaggeration). On the other hand, you don't want to spend so much money on a car and not have what you want on it. And that, my friends, is how Porsche becomes the most profitable car company in the world. LOL
Old 08-26-2013, 12:50 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My take on the "must haves" is when the price of the options on your car becomes close to the price of buying another complete fun, sporty car. Guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping your car too, as options don't do squat at resale time, getting pennies on the dollar from their cost new.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by mtbscott
My take on the "must haves" is when the price of the options on your car becomes close to the price of buying another complete fun, sporty car. Guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping your car too, as options don't do squat at resale time, getting pennies on the dollar from their cost new.
I wish I could find someone selling a 991 and valuing their options at pennies on the dollar.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

About PDCC, ask a Porsche tech, I was told that cars with PDCC are much gentler with the tires, which last up to 50% more miles due to the evenness of wear. At $1500 for the pair of rear tires, mounted, balance and aligned, PDCC can save you some money. Well, at least you can have an internal argument in your head to justify ordering it.

Quick Reply: "Must Have" Options