Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked out of the 991 - Do we have any 991 owning surfers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Locked out of the 991 - Do we have any 991 owning surfers?

Has anyone here locked themselves out of the 991? Does anyone know how to lock the door with the key fob and still be able to lock the FOB in the car? For the 2nd time all year, I was able to try and surf before work and what started as a quick trip to the beach before work turned into a 5 hour ordeal.

Not wanting to take the FOB into the ocean and not being able to lock the door via what i thought was a valet key, without setting off the alarm, I removed the "valet key" and thought I had a smart idea by locking the car with the FOB and then throwing it under the bonnet and closing the lid.

I returned only to set off the alarm with the blade-key, which then locked me out of both the bonnet and the engine bay. When the flat-bed arrived, he expained to me that since I had nosed the car into the parking spot and couldn't release the e-brake, that she would have to be "pulled/dragged" across the street.

I wasn't having it; given that the alarm cuts the release of the e-brake and bonnet, I had to get to the the emergency bonnest release by cutting through the LF fender liner, but you need 2 people since one person needs to push on the emblem while the other pulls the release.

The entire turn of events made me feel like a moron but at the risk of further looking like a moron, I figured I would share so no one else has this nightmare. If anyone is aware of this and if I am relaying well-known intel, then I apologize but I figured I would share with my fellow Rennlisters who try and go surfing with a key FOB, to try and avoid this poor manuever.

You can't take that thing in the ocean so you might as well start hiding it on top of the trans or something!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:55 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry to say I was actually laughing reading that, because I can imagine myself getting into a situation like that... I know when it was happening it probably wasn't too funny.

Question: Is this with "Entry and Drive" or without? I'm guessing with
Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Has anyone here locked themselves out of the 991? Does anyone know how to lock the door with the key fob and still be able to lock the FOB in the car? For the 2nd time all year, I was able to try and surf before work and what started as a quick trip to the beach before work turned into a 5 hour ordeal.

Not wanting to take the FOB into the ocean and not being able to lock the door via what i thought was a valet key, without setting off the alarm, I removed the "valet key" and thought I had a smart idea by locking the car with the FOB and then throwing it under the bonnet and closing the lid.

I returned only to set off the alarm with the blade-key, which then locked me out of both the bonnet and the engine bay. When the flat-bed arrived, he expained to me that since I had nosed the car into the parking spot and couldn't release the e-brake, that she would have to be "pulled/dragged" across the street.

I wasn't having it; given that the alarm cuts the release of the e-brake and bonnet, I had to get to the the emergency bonnest release by cutting through the LF fender liner, but you need 2 people since one person needs to push on the emblem while the other pulls the release.

The entire turn of events made me feel like a moron but at the risk of further looking like a moron, I figured I would share so no one else has this nightmare. If anyone is aware of this and if I am relaying well-known intel, then I apologize but I figured I would share with my fellow Rennlisters who try and go surfing with a key FOB, to try and avoid this poor manuever.

You can't take that thing in the ocean so you might as well start hiding it on top of the trans or something!
Daaay-am!

What a nightmare. You have my sympathies on that PITA.

Not a surfer but I am a diver so I use this - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ac%20Keymaster
Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow - what a hassle!
I'm surprised unlocking with the key didn't shut off the alarm. Perhaps locking with the key would not arm the alarm allowing your plan to work?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:18 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Typically I would be "ginger snapping" but so much other drama has happened this week I had to laugh too.

No key-less entry option and I definitely need a water-proof wallet. Thanks for the good tip!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

If locking on the 991 works the same as on my 2011 Cayenne (the keys are the same) you could have:

1. Removed the emergency key
2. Hidden the FOB somewhere in the cabin not in the frunk
3. Locked the doors with the emergency key (on the Cayenne you insert the emergency key in a slot under the driver's door handle and swing open the cover to reveal the lock. Might be different on the 991)
4. Upon returning to the car unlocked the doors with the emergency key
5. Grabbed the FOB and turned on the ignition within 10 seconds to keep the alarm from triggering

I've never tried this but using the emergency key is described in the owner's manual. I suspect the key (no pun intended) is to put the FOB somewhere where you can get to it within 10 seconds.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If locking on the 991 works the same as on my 2011 Cayenne (the keys are the same) you could have:

1. Removed the emergency key
2. Hidden the FOB somewhere in the cabin not in the frunk
3. Locked the doors with the emergency key (on the Cayenne you insert the emergency key in a slot under the driver's door handle and swing open the cover to reveal the lock. Might be different on the 991)
4. Upon returning to the car unlocked the doors with the emergency key
5. Grabbed the FOB and turned on the ignition within 10 seconds to keep the alarm from triggering

I've never tried this but using the emergency key is described in the owner's manual. I suspect the key (no pun intended) is to put the FOB somewhere where you can get to it within 10 seconds.
I think that's all I could have done. I think had I known that the physical key would give me 10 seconds, I would have put the FOB in the console. I couldn't figure out why the alarm kept going off when locking/unlocking with the key.

Thanks for the info, as I think i understand the process of operations now and appreciate how I won't be hated on for waking up people in sleepy beach towns with an obnoxious car horn from a Porsche.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:06 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Slightly off-topic: When I had my '06 C6 Corvette, my wife needed to drive it home from the office, her first (and last) time behind the wheel of that car. There was no actual key, just a fob. It happened to be painted the same orange color as the car. When she entered the car her hands were full so she laid the fob on the fender & forgot it. Once the doors were closed, they locked. She couldn't start the car and had no idea about the emergency door release that looks like a manual handbrake. There is no door handle. It was 90-degree Miami sunshine and she was panicking, locked inside a swelteringly hot car. Thankfully, she had her cell phone and was able to reach me. Otherwise, she'd have had to call someone out of the office with a scissor or knife and cut the convertible top to get her out. What a nightmare! It's no wonder she hated the idea of me buying the new model. Luckily for me, I get a 991 instead.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 PM
///MMB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why didn't you just go get the second key instead of cutting through the liner?
Old 08-03-2013, 06:51 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hmmm...good question?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:01 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Slightly Off Topic - I keep my key fob for my Harley's hanging on the right handlebar brake lever, so they are always there when I want to ride. Once I forgot to put it in my pocket before I took off. I rode for a while then on Rt 41 North towrds Tampa I set the cruise swith to hold speed at 70mph and give my throttle hand a rest. Well when I took my hand off the throttle - the key fob blew off never to be seen again.

The problem was, then I couldn't start the bike again and was stranded about 50 miles from home, and my spare key fob - long day.

I have been mre fortunate with my Porsches. At least you got to surf.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:04 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ///MMB
Why didn't you just go get the second key instead of cutting through the liner?
Re-read his post. They didn't actually cut through the top. He stated:

"Thankfully, she had her cell phone and was able to reach me. Otherwise, she'd have had to call someone out of the office with a scissor or knife and cut the convertible top to get her out."
Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think he was asking why I cut the fender liner instead of using the spare key.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Porsche911_S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my new 991S this past week and I'm still working my way through the manuals. I had not paid much attention to the keys and locking system. This got my attention. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I think he was asking why I cut the fender liner instead of using the spare key.
You are probably right. My mistake!

Quick Reply: Locked out of the 991 - Do we have any 991 owning surfers?