Sponsored by:

991 Issues and Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:39 AM
msimhamb
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 Issues and Solutions

Just wanted to update the forum on a couple of issues with my 2013 991 C2S and the solutions from a pretty competent service manager that fixed the problems.

Issue 1:
Had an interim service and oil change message pop prematurely up at 2,000 miles. This was reset and the message again popped up a few hundred miles later.

Fix:
All service messages are supposed to be reset by the dealer upon receipt of the new car as the time stamp on the console may apparently be significantly older than the delivery date of the car. There was apparently a software error in their reset tool that was recently rectified, that now resets ALL service messages, not just a subset.

Issue 2:
On a hot 78F day (I know... but it is high for Newport Beach), the A/C was going full blast and not cooling the cabin. After some investigation, it was apparent the driver vents were blowing cold air but the passenger vents were blowing warm air. I thought it was an air mixer servo issue like the older 911s, but no, it was a simpler fix

Fix: The dealer extracted all the refrigerant and refilled it to the specifications and voila, the passenger vents were blowing cold again. This is apparently not uncommon given the exacting specifications for the refrigerant fill. The service manager was very competent as I previously indicated. He explained that the A/C ductwork in the car is such that if you have insufficient refrigerant, the driver's side vents will feel cooler given their air path relative to the passenger side vents.

This is the first time in all my years of car ownership, where the service manager knew the details even for a new model and actually took the time to explain what was going on and how he fixed the issue.

Overall, a minor hassle (I was given a Cayenne loaner), but what could have been disappointment with Porsche was rescued by a competent service manager.

Things do go wrong with complicated machines, what makes the difference is how the issues are dealt with. In this case I give Porsche 2 thumbs up.

And oh, the car is an absolute delight to drive.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I also had the interim service error. Glad they fixed the problem I will have to bring it back in. He told me at the time that porsche was still sorting it out and that they were aware of the problem.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by msimhamb
Just wanted to update the forum on a couple of issues with my 2013 991 C2S and the solutions from a pretty competent service manager that fixed the problems.
What dealer was this?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:11 PM
msimhamb
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power Porsche in Newport Beach

Quick Reply: 991 Issues and Solutions