Sponsored by:

New 991s on top gear tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New 991s on top gear tonight

Sorry, not much to report apart from James may was driving it and liked it very much. Then he mentioned how 911 purists hated it and then they brought out a singer 911. Must have spent double the time talking about the singer rather then the new 911.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:23 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Funny, singer had visually more understeer.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Bigfra
Instructor

Funny how hammond mentioned that the steering feel was gone etc etc and it wasn't what a 911 should be about and then proceeded to cream himself when they started to discuss the up coming GT3

The new GT3 is still a bloody 991 after all
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 AM
s329
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awful review if you can even call it that of the 991. I was hoping they'd actually bring out the GT3, but like a previous poster said, they spent literally 5 mins on the 991s and the rest of the time it was about the Singer. I also can't stand Jezza when he starts his Porsche rants. It's almost like he's saying he doesn't like Porsches for the sake of saying it now with no basis whatsoever.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:36 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by s329
Awful review if you can even call it that of the 991. I was hoping they'd actually bring out the GT3, but like a previous poster said, they spent literally 5 mins on the 991s and the rest of the time it was about the Singer. I also can't stand Jezza when he starts his Porsche rants. It's almost like he's saying he doesn't like Porsches for the sake of saying it now with no basis whatsoever.

Agreed.
But remember, that show is JUST ENTERTAINMENT ;-)

They have to have some extreme standpoints (even if there is no basis), to attract viewers and controversy ! The show will die without it !

Maybe Jezza's honest "private" opinion would be much different were he to drive the 991 for a prolonged time !?

What I would like to know is how much of the show is "scripted". I have a sneaky suspicion it's close to 100%, jokes included ! I sometimes get the feeling they are waiting on each other to deliver the punch line. Look at their body language sometimes, like they are sitting on the edge of their chair, waiting to land the funny line !
So if this is the case, they are just actors right ?!

Anyhow, I still like watching the show :-)
Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Jeremy's constant Porsche hate really gets on my nerves, but then I just have to remember the show is primarily meant to be entertainment. Richard at least tends to like Porsche, so sometimes it balances out.

But it is annoying to have him declare that he hates Porsche for no real reason. "It's just a Beetle". Yeah, that argument was tired about 20 years ago. At least try something new...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it's not a motoring show, it's a comedy show with cars thrown in.

and very good it is too!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Last edited by GSIRM3; 07-30-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfra
Funny how hammond mentioned that the steering feel was gone etc etc and it wasn't what a 911 should be about and then proceeded to cream himself when they started to discuss the up coming GT3

The new GT3 is still a bloody 991 after all
Hopefully not.
Preuninger spent an hour saying the GT3 is not a 991.
It's not a 991 engine, or 991 PDK, or LSD, it's not 991 front or rear suspension geometry, and hopefully it's not 991 steering.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Hopefully not.
Preuninger spent an hour saying the GT3 is not a 991.
It's not a 991 engine, or 991 PDK, or LSD, it's not 991 front or rear suspension geometry, and hopefully it's not 991 steering.
exactly
Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Jeremy's constant Porsche hate really gets on my nerves, but then I just have to remember the show is primarily meant to be entertainment. Richard at least tends to like Porsche, so sometimes it balances out.

But it is annoying to have him declare that he hates Porsche for no real reason. "It's just a Beetle". Yeah, that argument was tired about 20 years ago. At least try something new...

Clarkson, did like the 997 Turbo.

BUt in the end who cares. I luv my beetle!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

991 GT3 is what it's called so its a 991
Old 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM
kosmo
Race Director

speaking of top gear and entertainment:

"Top Gear walks a very narrow line between documentary, sitcom and reality television. And while some aspects of it are true, it shouldn't be a huge shock that there are plenty of staged elements. Still, there seem to be elements of the British public that think everything shown on the telly is true, which makes the latest controversy over Top Gear's fakery seem rather silly to us.

The anger stems from the July 21 episode, which actually airs tonight on BBC America (spoiler alert from here out), where Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May attempt to convert a Ford Transit into a hovercraft. The resulting hovervan can work on the road, and can kind of work on the water, as demonstrated during an extended cruise on the River Avon.

This is where people are getting angry. In one scene, the trio pass a riverside restaurant and decided to stop in for a bite. Patrons sitting on the water's edge are then mercilessly blown and splashed by the jet wash of the hovervan's fans. Here's the controversy – those "patrons" were apparently staged actors. Yes, Top Gear is in trouble with the British public because they used actors for a segment rather than ruining the days of unsuspecting people.

Video and images were released on Twitter by one of the actors, according to Britain's The Mirror. A BBC spokesperson's response to this latest uproar is pretty much what we were thinking as we watched the episode last weekend: "I think Top Gear viewers are intelligent enough not to have been taken in." Clearly not all of them.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw the episode and it's like the whole season, just becoming a very entertaining comedyshow. They haven't done a proper test this whole season and as far as I know didn't do that last season.
The big problem with Top Gear in England is that it is BBC, which is public television and therefore payed from taxes.
They spend millions of pounds on nice journey's for Jeremy, Richard and James, including the whole camera crew and it's actually nothing more than just comedy. For example in this latest episode they do some "proper caravanning" which is nothing more then trashing caravans and even the NEW cars they use. I can understand that the average tax-payer in Britain has got a problem with that, espacially in these times of economical crisis in Europe. Clarkson earns more than a million pounds salary on Top Gear. Not a problem if it was Commercial TV, but On public TV?? I think they can't justify that much longer to British tax-payers.

That said, I like watching it, but I don't take it serious in terms of car reviews. Fifth gear is way better for that.

The "review" of the 991 was indeed nothing more than 5 minutes and 10 minutes about the Singer and they didn't do a timed lap with the Stig in both cars, which on its own is already very strange from an objective point of view... Clarkson doesn't like Porsche, so there is not much time spend in the program, regardless of what James or Richard think of it. If it was for an AMG or any British car, it probably would have been at least 20 minutes it's a well known fact on Top Gear.

Suzy991
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Agreed.
But remember, that show is JUST ENTERTAINMENT ;-)

They have to have some extreme standpoints (even if there is no basis), to attract viewers and controversy ! The show will die without it !

Maybe Jezza's honest "private" opinion would be much different were he to drive the 991 for a prolonged time !?

What I would like to know is how much of the show is "scripted". I have a sneaky suspicion it's close to 100%, jokes included ! I sometimes get the feeling they are waiting on each other to deliver the punch line. Look at their body language sometimes, like they are sitting on the edge of their chair, waiting to land the funny line !
So if this is the case, they are just actors right ?!

Anyhow, I still like watching the show :-)
+1

Quick Reply: New 991s on top gear tonight