Sponsored by:

New 991s on top gear tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Just saw the episode and it's like the whole season, just becoming a very entertaining comedyshow. They haven't done a proper test this whole season and as far as I know didn't do that last season.
The big problem with Top Gear in England is that it is BBC, which is public television and therefore payed from taxes.
They spend millions of pounds on nice journey's for Jeremy, Richard and James, including the whole camera crew and it's actually nothing more than just comedy. For example in this latest episode they do some "proper caravanning" which is nothing more then trashing caravans and even the NEW cars they use. I can understand that the average tax-payer in Britain has got a problem with that, espacially in these times of economical crisis in Europe. Clarkson earns more than a million pounds salary on Top Gear. Not a problem if it was Commercial TV, but On public TV?? I think they can't justify that much longer to British tax-payers.

That said, I like watching it, but I don't take it serious in terms of car reviews. Fifth gear is way better for that.

The "review" of the 991 was indeed nothing more than 5 minutes and 10 minutes about the Singer and they didn't do a timed lap with the Stig in both cars, which on its own is already very strange from an objective point of view... Clarkson doesn't like Porsche, so there is not much time spend in the program, regardless of what James or Richard think of it. If it was for an AMG or any British car, it probably would have been at least 20 minutes it's a well known fact on Top Gear.

Suzy991
In regards to tax payer dollars, if the show makes money through promotions, events, advertising, etc. can you really continue to whine about how it's tax payer dollars and how much the hosts make? What if the show shows a profit at the end of it all? Perhaps then Jeremey, Richard and James could argue about how much of their money is wasted on "the news". Just saying......
Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the audience of Top Gear is in the billions (incredible, but true) and something like a couple of hundred million watch it "live" to air every episode. I've read the franchise is a giant operation with tentacles all over the globe and the three stooges get paid millions to fart **** around because their ratings only work when they don't actually do much with the cars. It's the "antics" and catapulting caravans that gets them the viewership. Does the BBC pay anything into TG? No doubt the tax payer and TV licenses pay for the lion's share of the BBC total budget, but I wonder about the balance sheet of Top Gear. I'm guessing it's in a unique situation because of its size.

I think TG does whatever they want and pays their own way. I was just in the process of discouraging a friend from buying an X6 (friends don't let friends buy X6's) and the Top Gear review popped up on YouTube. Clarkson said in the first minute it was an expensive, ungainly mistake of a car that's no good off-road and unpleasant on-road, but he then flew around the world to prove, yes, it's no good in Spain, no good in the Alps, no good in some other country, etc. No doubt raising the production cost of that 5 minute review from what could have been basically "free" to drive along, a couple of GoPro's stuck here and there, then dismiss the car after some simple testing, but instead resulting in a crew and logistics flung around the world. Of course, surely they did other "bits" while they were on location in various snowy or sunny spots, but still, it's their "shtick" to be a trio of tubby tossers trotting around the globe doing things with cars that nobody else would bother -- or afford.

That said, when the GT3 and the Stingray both exist in the market, I hope Top Gear does some driving and comparison work, not just some clowning, slobbering and thumbing through the Roget's for superlatives so that Clarkson can leer into the lens and say " ... the in world!"
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Where do you guys watch the show in the US?
Just curious...
Anyway...here it is...for those that didn't catch it :

Just click on the link at the top of the screen.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-20-episode-5_2433077.htm
Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Where do you guys watch the show in the US?]
BBCAmerica on DirecTV

Last edited by Carrera GT; 07-29-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:59 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think the audience of Top Gear is in the billions (incredible, but true) and something like a couple of hundred million watch it "live" to air every episode. I've read the franchise is a giant operation with tentacles all over the globe and the three stooges get paid millions to fart **** around because their ratings only work when they don't actually do much with the cars. It's the "antics" and catapulting caravans that gets them the viewership. [/I]"
It's a bit like "Jackass meets Fifth Gear", and then you have Top Gear !
Yet still we have fun watching an entertaining show :-)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
BBCAmerica on DirecTV
Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:19 AM
onapex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can also watch it on amazon (1 week delay) for $1.99/episode.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 AM
///MMB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Where do you guys watch the show in the US?
Just curious...
Anyway...here it is...for those that didn't catch it :

Just click on the link at the top of the screen.

]
I use www.finalgear.com and dl it in 1080 or 720.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

sans servo steering, i never felt the 991 steering was bad at all.. that being said i do dislike the cars with the $270 servo (later changed name to idk what)...

over 30 the servo steer doesn't even kick in... so shouldnt be an issue at all for them..

i would say the 991 steering is same if not better than my 3 997's before it.. great feedback...

that singer was insane, insanely expensive!

Quick Reply: New 991s on top gear tonight