Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on my 911 50 configuration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Bart Baeyens
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living in Belgium I went to visit the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart last weekend to take a look at the 2 different versions of grey that were exposed there.
My initial thought was to take the Geyser Grey (the light grey) and I'm sticking to it.
The Graphite Grey, which imo looks alot like Slate Grey (or is maybe the same), is my favourite colour on a pré-impact 911, but for one reason or another I don't think it does the 991 justice.
Ordered it with MT and no sunroof as I think the sunroof will detract from the pure lines... Black interior is also ordered.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Bart Baeyens
Advanced

Living in Belgium I went to visit the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart last weekend to take a look at the 2 different versions of grey that were exposed there.
My initial thought was to take the Geyser Grey (the light grey) and I'm sticking to it.
The Graphite Grey, which imo looks alot like Slate Grey (or is maybe the same), is my favourite colour on a pré-impact 911, but for one reason or another I don't think it does the 991 justice.
Ordered it with MT and no sunroof as I think the sunroof will detract from the pure lines... Black interior is also ordered.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM
ymg91150
Instructor

By the way, did one of you order the painted key? Its actually to marginal to bother about, but I bother with about every detail at the moment. IMO, this toy car looking key is absolutely ridiculous, totally not adequate for a car like the 911. But i like the graphite gray so much that I think it might make the key look a little less ludicrous.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nr. 13 (geyser grey) back in museum already last week? That's fast, it was in portugal along with panamera s2 (lci) launch couple weeks ago, https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...-portugal.html
Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911-50
By the way, did one of you order the painted key? Its actually to marginal to bother about, but I bother with about every detail at the moment. IMO, this toy car looking key is absolutely ridiculous, totally not adequate for a car like the 911. But i like the graphite gray so much that I think it might make the key look a little less ludicrous.
I plan to order the painted key. If PTS gets approved, all the better.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if anyone in the US has made their desire for PTS (paint color) known. I spoke with my dealer and he was going to look into this but I have not heard back from him.
991-50, I certainly understand your desire for PDK. Your market clearly makes the decision for you. I would not buy a MT in your market unless I was absolutely sure that I was not going to sell/trade for a significant amount of time.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:12 PM
scubadiver637
Advanced

I discussed PTS with several Porsche NA representatives this weekend at PWRS in Monticello, NY. Guess what? Most of them are surprised that PTS is not available for the 991-50. They were clueless. I told them about this website and Planet 9 and desires for PTS. I also discussed with them that a true tribute to the 911 should entail the special colors that were introduced throughout the past 50 years, not just the introductory colors of the 911. They agreed. They left a VM and text for Sascha.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Bart Baeyens
Advanced

PTS would detract from the whole package imo, it's a take it or leave it deal. I love blue cars for instance but the whole 50-years package wouldn't look so good on a blue car, ymmv...
I too ordered the painted key. I also ordered the alu look petrol tank cap...

I had no idea the cars were on a tour. I guess I just got lucky to find them both in Stuttgart.
Did anyone see any pics of a black one yet?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

To my knowledge, they only built one each of the two grays. I haven't seen pictures of a black car anywhere, and I've only seen pictures of the geyser (not graphite) on tour.

I've been asking Sascha Glaeser about PTS since the car was announced in June. He visited Stuttgart this month, so I'll follow up with him within the next week. I'm dying to see pictures of graphite gray in natural light; depending on how it looks, I may not want PTS.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart Baeyens
PTS would detract from the whole package imo, it's a take it or leave it deal. I love blue cars for instance but the whole 50-years package wouldn't look so good on a blue car, ymmv...
I too ordered the painted key. I also ordered the alu look petrol tank cap...

I had no idea the cars were on a tour. I guess I just got lucky to find them both in Stuttgart.
Did anyone see any pics of a black one yet?
Totally agree with that. I think the same about PTS. It just doesn't belong on a special edition, because it wouldn't be a special edition anymore.
I immediately fell in love with the graphit grey car when I first saw the pictures. I ordered one and then went to Stuttgart to see the car in person. It didn't blew me away as much as I had hoped for and after a lot of thinking and sleepless nights I decided to cancel the order. I still think it's a beautiful looking car, but I went back to my original plan of ordering a C4S, because that was what I really wanted in the first place.

BTW I think the cars in Stuttgart are not the same cars that travel around. Not sure, just guessing...

Another strange thing I noticed when I looked at the Swiss Porsche configurator today is that there is no Geyser Grey anymore. Only Graphite and Black... It still is on the German configurator though.

Suzy991
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I asked about PTS (Canada), was told repeatedly that they would not accept order with PTS and have now cancelled my 911 50th like Suzy911. I however do like the package very much, just not the 3 colours, I would 100% order 911 50th with PTS if possible.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

I just asked my salesman and he checked for me with Porsche, same thing: "PTS is neither offered nor available on the 50th." He also said that even PTS is available it'll be another 6 months wait. Bottom line? Don't hold your breath for PTS.

And logically this makes sense too. Both grays are already "special edition" colors and both should already be considered "PTS"--just to Porsche's and not to the owner's. Now I agree they ain't the best two colors but I think I can live with it. Also I think they fit well into the whole "traditional/modern" fusion theme the car has going.

Well, if you have a few grand laying around, you can always wrap the whole car in Mexico Blue. Also protects the paint underneath.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 AM
911sanantone
Instructor

Thanks for the updates. It appears that PTS is not in the future for the 50th and this makes sense. NeoGeo07's comments regarding the fact that the 3 colors are "special edition" colors and should be considered "PTS" is on target.
Bottom line is that you have to love the overall package (car, color, features).
While there are some PTS colors that I would prefer, I still love the graphite gray.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

I have promised to update you as soon as I get news from my salesman about the final build and delivery date of my car. Allocation number, build and delivery date for my order (which was placed in switzerland) are provided, my car will be built at the beginning of october and delivered in week 42 (Oct. 14th - 20th). In a german forum, another buyer just posted that he will get his car at the end of september.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

911-50 - Congratulations!!!
Has anyone in the US heard from their dealer regarding build date/delivery?
Thanks...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my 911 50 configuration?