Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Get a 991 for about $70k?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

BTW, I didn't mean to quote that Detroit Shooter ad.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:29 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chiboy
I'm not sure that the choice of a new Cayman S vs. a used 991 is *that* clear, but I can appreciate it is when the question is posed in a 991 forum. lol

I don't disagree with the general logic of driving both and deciding. My problem is: the more I read the more confused I get.
Stop reading, go driving.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Stop reading, go driving.
What he said!

you'll never be able to turn such an emotional, subjective decision into a purely objective exercise.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Chiboy
Racer

I agree with you. I have driven several 997s and several Cayman S 2014s. I just haven't yet driven a 991. Believe me, I will do it. I just didn't want to fall in love with it if it was way out of my budget.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Do chiboy a huge favor. Ban him from the forum until he has driven a 991 ;-)
Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

I always advise against purchasing anything substantial that is a "stretch".
You obviously have your budget for a reason and should be commended for sticking to it.
As you well know, the purchase price is just the beginning of the financial outlay for these cars.

I would suggest waiting a year or so (by then the 2015's will be in production) at which point you'll have a plethora of 2012's to choose from.

Just my $0.02...
Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I had an arbitrary budget of 75k just 4 months ago. It was an unusually warm day for western ny in march. I had cayman on my mind since they introduced it at the LA auto show. I walked into the dealer and drove the boxster s as a proxy to the yet to be released cayman s. Car was superb. Sitting at the desk shooting the **** with the salesman, a fellow car geek, I could not for the life of me get my eye off the used 991 out front. We grabbed the keys to the black trade-in 991 with low miles and hit the road. Let's just say we were a bit giddy about having 70 degrees and sunny weather after a long boring winter and I managed a few 7k+ shifts from 2nd to 3rd and I was sold. Turns out someone bought that car before I could decide, in 2 days, for 95k. Lucky for me they received my current car, a silver 991 with similar options a week later.

My point is that although the cayman is a really really good car, if you get behind the wheel of a 991 a different feeling comes over you. That feeling is what makes the exorbitant price worth it imho. I guess another obvious take away from this story is that any car being driven by potential customers at the dealership has been thoroughly flexed. My vote goes to brand new stripper 991 hands down. Old stock would be ideal but those cars (stripper base manuals) are not as easy to come by.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by carsrmyvice
I had an arbitrary budget of 75k just 4 months ago. It was an unusually warm day for western ny in march. I had cayman on my mind since they introduced it at the LA auto show. I walked into the dealer and drove the boxster s as a proxy to the yet to be released cayman s. Car was superb. Sitting at the desk shooting the **** with the salesman, a fellow car geek, I could not for the life of me get my eye off the used 991 out front. We grabbed the keys to the black trade-in 991 with low miles and hit the road. Let's just say we were a bit giddy about having 70 degrees and sunny weather after a long boring winter and I managed a few 7k+ shifts from 2nd to 3rd and I was sold. Turns out someone bought that car before I could decide, in 2 days, for 95k. Lucky for me they received my current car, a silver 991 with similar options a week later.

My point is that although the cayman is a really really good car, if you get behind the wheel of a 991 a different feeling comes over you. That feeling is what makes the exorbitant price worth it imho. I guess another obvious take away from this story is that any car being driven by potential customers at the dealership has been thoroughly flexed. My vote goes to brand new stripper 991 hands down. Old stock would be ideal but those cars (stripper base manuals) are not as easy to come by.
Wow, great story! I am going to test drive a 991 tomorrow and see what I think.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:01 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheesh, If we would have known all it would take was a story we would have made one up 2 pages ago.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Ha! I was scheduled to drive one yesterday, but it didn't work out.

If I had known all it would take was a story about test driving a 911 to calm everyone down, I would have lied about it two pages ago! :-)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha! I was scheduled to drive one yesterday, but it didn't work out.

If I had known all it would take was a story about test driving a 911 to calm everyone down, I would have lied about it two pages ago! :-)
Chiboy

If you ended up getting a 991, we should meet up sometime!! Would love to meet other Porsche lovers in Chicago.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Chiboy
Racer

I take it you won't want to know me if I choose a Cayman S. :-)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We will wait here patiently for your thoughts after driving a 991...
Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am bouncing around a bit in my car search. I love the new Cayman S, which I can get for under $70k with a sticker of $75-76k if I wait until they build me the right one. And I may very well do that for delivery next spring.

But I am also strongly considering a newer 911 with the same budget in mind. I have seen a number of 2012s that can be had for $70k, some of which are S models, but all of which are 997.2 models. I do not want to succumb to any more budget creep, but wonder if I can squeeze into a 991 for that money. I know my odds will improve if I can sit on my hands until fall/winter, but what do y'all think? Is it worth it to scour the 'net for a 991? Will I likely be able to find one in that price range? I am more than happy with a 6, er, 7 speed manual, and don't require leather wrapped carbon fiber rear view mirrors. What are the more informed opinions here?
First, I don't believe at all that you can get a $75-76 sticker Cayman S for under $70K. They are too new and in too high demand. There are simple too few around to get that kind of a deal.

There was a day that that WAS new 911 money, but not today. Most 991 Carreras sticker over $100K. You will be hard pressed to even find a Carrera S Coupe, C4 Coupe or Carrera Cab that doesn't sticker close to $120K or more. 991 prices are getting ridiculous. This of course means that depreciation should happen pretty rapidly. I would not be surprised when the new-ness of the 991 goes away in a year that 1-year old used ones will selling for 30% below their original sticker. Best advice is to wait a year and buy a CPO that will easily be in your price range.

How bad are they overpriced? How about this. One of my co-workers just bought a brand-new loaded 997.2 Turbo Cab for $20K off sticker. It was sitting on the lot for a year with about 100 mils on it. He bought it cheaper than the sticker on any 991 Carrera S Cab on the lot. Is that messed up or what?
Old 07-27-2013, 05:43 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
How bad are they overpriced? How about this. One of my co-workers just bought a brand-new loaded 997.2 Turbo Cab for $20K off sticker. It was sitting on the lot for a year with about 100 mils on it. He bought it cheaper than the sticker on any 991 Carrera S Cab on the lot. Is that messed up or what?
I interpret those facts differently. The 991 is so much better and better looking that they practically have to give the old ones away to get rid of them.

Quick Reply: Can I Get a 991 for about $70k?