Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Welcome to the 991 club
Old 07-20-2013, 01:48 AM
speedwell
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Good for you. Always happy to wish someone well in your situation. Avoid short trips, let your engine oil warm up properly before every drive and be sure to alternate between normal, sport and sport + but otherwise don't baby it during the break-in. Did you go with PDK or MT?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:04 AM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedwell
Good for you. Always happy to wish someone well in your situation. Avoid short trips, let your engine oil warm up properly before every drive and be sure to alternate between normal, sport and sport + but otherwise don't baby it during the break-in. Did you go with PDK or MT?
That's exactly what I was told at the factory in May. Rest-of-world does not have a 2,000 mile break in, however, ensure engine is warm, vary speeds, and don't keep sustained RPM about 5,000 for very long. I didn't really touch red line until 2,000 KM (not miles) but I took it to 6,000 and 6,500 from time to time with most RPM's in the 1,500 to 3,500 range. Just row the gear shift (or paddles or buttons) and get a feel for the car. Sorry to be repetitive, but enjoy!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:05 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

quick post back here, more later (with pics). Thanks for all the well wishes. The car is all I dreamed it would be. I think the GT3 would have been too much car for me, this is more than enough. Alan, I DO like the Burmeister.

Such an incredible experience but I will write more in depth later. Trying to give the wife plenty of time it's obvious she's a little jealous of the car...
Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could please give updates along the way, it will take a while just to bond properly after the "new car" experience wears off.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:27 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

Can't wait to hear your thoughts about it and the pics!!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:55 PM
jlanka
Drifting

more pics...
Attached Images         
Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
more pics...
Do they all come with badging that includes '911' and 'Carerra'? Seems redundant.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:27 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by dasams
Do they all come with badging that includes '911' and 'Carerra'? Seems redundant.

Badging is totally configurable. I wanted the most possible (my preference). Some like less.

I tried getting Ferdinand Porsche's biography added, but they didn't offer it.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:37 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,153 Likes on 468 Posts

Love the deviated red stitching with white dials; that's what I want on my next order so nice to see pics! Enjoy the car.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Badging is totally configurable. I wanted the most possible (my preference). Some like less.

I tried getting Ferdinand Porsche's biography added, but they didn't offer it.
Gorgeous build - congrats! You might be the first one on these boards with the new LED headlights. How are they? They look great in the photos.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, nice looking car!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the options in your configuration, very nicely done with an absolutely beautiful result.

Looking forward to your full review on the LED headlights!! I have them in my configuration for my Q2 2014 GT3 build.

Ryan
Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM
jlanka
Drifting

First of all, I'm a really lousy writer so bear with me as I do the best I can (I'm in IT so I love technical stuff)

- Plenty of room for my 6'5", and the 18 way seats make it so comfortable for my frame, especially the lumbar support.

- I like the PSE sound but I also like the "plain" exhaust sound. Both sound nice from inside the car. I see what they mean when they say "you don't need to listen to the stereo, just hear the sweet sound of the exhaust"

- OTOH, the Burmeister kicks *** as well. I can drive with the windows open and turn it up to a point where I can hear the music clearly. I've never been able to do that with any other vehicle I've owned. I'm an _older_ fart (52) and don't need glass shattering bass which is what the Burmeister gives you. Enough bass for sure but nice fidelity in the entire audio spectrum.

- The power is simply indescribable. Mind you, I'm not a race car driver so someone more experienced would probably laugh at that statement. But the fastest car I ever owned prior to this was a 79 Corvette with the L82 and this is no comparison. From a standing start (for instance waiting to merge onto a highway with a short entrance ramp) _without_ flooring it, it just roars onto the highway. And starting from "speed limit" speeds, she will get up and go to 100 with not much effort at all. Mind you, i've been keeping it below 4 grand for break-in purposes (hit 5 a couple of times but backed right down) so the REAL power hasn't show itself yet. That's OK for me, as I get used to driving it I'll be well versed when the time comes to boost up.

- I'm more than satisfied (at least for now) driving around in automatic mode. The power and handling are exhilarating enough without the need to play around with PDK. That will come though.

- I see what some other posters have said about the stick being backwards, I'm used to the shifter in the BMW 5 series and this one is push for upshift and pull for downshift. I agree it seems wrong.

- The PCM rebooted on me once, when I was in NAVI mode and pushed source. Came back very quickly but it was an anomaly

- I can't praise the investment in the deionizer enough, it's almost like magic the way you don't have to dry your car after you wash it.

- Brake dust is accumulating on the wheels and it's kinda greasy. Maybe I never noticed the consistency on other cars.

- The Adaptive Cruise control is almost like magic, I drove for about 20 miles on a highway and heavy (but not stop and go) traffic and didn't touch the brake or accelerator the entire way. One funny thing happened though, on a lesser road going about 40, following a pickup. Suddenly they must have tossed a Poland Spring bottle out the window and it was sliding along directly in front of me. The ACC picked that up and braked HARD to a stop thinking it was a car or something.

- It was tough finding a spot to mount the front license plate (unfortunately NY requires one). The bracket I had purchased was unable to be used due to the laser deflectors. I ended up having to purchase another bracket from the sound shop that installed the 9500ci for $200 installed - a bit high in my opinion. It is mounted underneath the front spoiler on the right side and is spring loaded so it can fold under the car if need be. It does make it very difficult to not scrape on aprons.

- I'm still learning all the electronics. I need to sit in the car with the manual a few more times. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can run the PCM without the engine running.

- I was so far unsuccessful getting the homelink to work. It seemed to program OK (the parking lights flashed 3 times) but when I press the button the garage door doesn't move. A work in progress.

- Not sure how to compare the LED lights to anything else since they're the only lights I've owned. They do look very nice when I'm driving and do a good job of illuminating the road. I don't know what else to say about them.

- Lastly, just sitting in that machine and looking around at the interior and exterior gives me shivers. It's such a work of art and I consider myself privileged to own it. I hope that feeling never wears off.

That's all for now. I'll post more as I think of it. I'll probably have a lot more questions int he next few weeks and will surely use the wealth of knowledge in this forum to get them answered. Thanks for all the well wishes guys (and girls). Much appreciated.

Jeff

Last edited by jlanka; 07-22-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all, I'm a really lousy writer so bear with me as I do the best I can (I'm in IT so I love technical stuff)

- Not sure how to compare the LED lights to anything else since they're the only lights I've owned. They do look very nice when I'm driving and do a good job of illuminating the road. I don't know what else to say about them.

Jeff
Perhaps I can ask some questions to help.

Can you take a closeup picture and describe the colors of the trim ring, the projector surround and the beam projectors themselves?

Can you take a picture of the driving lights in daylight and perhaps at dusk?

Can you take a picture of the corning light at night? Is the cornering light LED as well?

When driving at night, what color does the light appear to be from your perspective? How does that color compare to HID Xenon lights that you've seen in the past?

Do you find the low beams as bright as typical HID Xenon lights, brighter?

Do you find the low beams sufficiently bright for most driving?

Do you find the high beams to be extremely bright? Do the lights change color tone when the high beams are in use?

Do the 4 halo driving lights stay on when the low / high beams are in use?

Do the 4 halo driving lights automatically turn on when you start the car? Is there a way to turn them off? Do they stay off next time you start the car?

Thanks,

Ryan

Quick Reply: Today is delivery day