Sponsored by:

Rev- matching; only in sport plus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:38 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev- matching; only in sport plus?

I have a 7MT and I have driven it in sport plus mode since I picked it up (love firm, solid feel). I was getting pretty bad gas mileage so I decided to try it in sport instead to see if the mileage would improve. When I did that, I found that the rev matching did not occur. Now, I've never had rev-matching before and usually I rev match myself but since I've gotten the 991, I have gotten accustomed to it doing it automatically. I actually did not try driving without sport or sport plus since that would bring the stop-start mechanism to come into play. I was wondering if the rev-matching always occurs with the PDK regardless of whether or not the sport or sport+ buttons are pushed?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

rev matching only on with sports + (from what i understand)
Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

7MT - rev matching only in sports+
PDK - all the time. In normal mode you don't really hear/feel much though, because of the fast shift time and close gear ratios - it's like the engine RPMs simply jump higher.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 PM
gulrey
Track Day

Rev-matching with manual is only in sport-plus which you only have if you get the sport chrono.

I have a 2013 7MT with sport chrono but apparently got it before they starting including the rev-matching feature as I don't have it.

Initially I didn't like the fact that I didn't have it but after thinking about it I believe I would find it difficult to have it operational part of the time i.e. when in sport-plus mode, but not sport or normal.

Once you get use to rev-matching yourself I think it would be hard to suddenly not do it when switching to sport-plus. It is sort of an involuntary reflex after a while. I am sure the opposite would also be true if you normally have it and then switch it off by leaving sport-plus mode.

I guess you just have to pick the way you want it and leave it that way.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:04 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I wonder what the purists have to say, that heckle us PDK drivers for not being worthy of driving a Porsche sportscar, about the purity and involvement of autoblipping on the manual in Sport+ ?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 152 Posts

Can rev matching be programed into a 991s 7mt with chrono...?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I wonder what the purists have to say, that heckle us PDK drivers for not being worthy of driving a Porsche sportscar, about the purity and involvement of autoblipping on the manual in Sport+ ?
Both result in ED
Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That's totally unfair! I believe what we all said was that you're not worthy of driving any sportscar and that it's not a sportscar if it has paddles.

But seriously, I've seen comments about 'why doesn't this have an on/off button or option', which seems like it would make sense. That's clearly a computer managed feature, and a menu that lets you set which modes should activate it should be pretty easy to implement? I could picture wanting that turned on maybe in Normal mode (easier driving in traffic) but off in Sport/Sport+, for example. Why Sport+ would mandate auto-blip... Seems almost backwards?

Sadly I can't imagine that will be retroactively added into the PCM - it's like thinking that instantaneous MPG will suddenly show up with an update. Or GT3 steering mapping?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:28 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep, Porsche marketing wants to make sure you buy the Sports Chrono Plus option.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Yep, Porsche marketing wants to make sure you buy the Sports Chrono Plus option.
Certainly, though it would be nice if you could buy some of the electronics tricks à la carte like you can some of the physical options. For that matter, options that would work on the current model that come out for subsequent years. (Understanding that's a different potential scenario than just enabling electronics features from an existing year...)

It would be much nicer to take advantage of the fact that the PCM is a computer, would let Porsche monetize some features across more cars/years, and at least help to offset the fact that any electronics on a car are going to be dated before too long.

Oh well.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

I use it to remind me how much practice I need in doing it myself. It is perfect every time.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:28 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I enjoy the rev matching and am surprised how the dynamic engine mounts (that also come with Sport Chrono) change the character of the car with the 7-speed manual transmission. The car becomes much, much smoother in Sport Plus mode. Here is some additional information: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7668...-recap.html#14

Quick Reply: Rev- matching; only in sport plus?