Sponsored by:

Buying my first Porsche and have some Qs

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 AM
WhyGeeGee
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first Porsche and have some Qs

Hi this is my first post here. I'm thinking selling my BMW 640iGC and buying my first Porsche and I have some questions for you guys.

I have been driving BMWs for more than 10 years now and wanted to switch it up a little bit so I'm thinking of buying a Carrera S or 4S to be used as my DD car and to use it on the track every now and then, my questions are:

1- Which one is more fun to drive? will I notice a difference ?

2- How good is it as a DD car?

3-Do you recommend PTV?

I would also wants to add that I have test drove the Cayman S and was very amazed by how fun it was. One thing that I will miss is the attention that my GC with it's Frozen Bronze color gives me.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

1. "Fun" is a terribly subjective term, so I would recommend driving both cars (and you will notice a difference).
2. As a DD, it is perfectly fine. You can choose suspension options (PASM, PDCC, etc etc) that give you the best of both worlds, and also adjust your tire pressure accordingly.
3. The need for PTV would depend on your driving habits and how you intend to use the car.

What type of roads do you plan to ply?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Drizute
6th Gear

Ill reiterate a post I made a while ago, 6 months later it still applies ....

I personally love the duality of the 991. As an "S" PDK PSE owner I can potter around town, smoothly transition the highways without the need to refill the gas tank (Petrol Tank!) every 100miles. The car is easy to drive, vision is good, which as mentioned before is essential to S Florida (License or commons sense not required!).

However flip the switch and bury the pedal and the car bares its teeth. This stock car is FAST, having driven a few Porsches I understand the purists dislike of the newer electronics/seat of the pants skill deadening enhancements BUT with the right encouragement you can take the 991 to the edge with more comfort than previous versions, drive FASTER, turn in quicker, accelerate earlier than previous models without sacrificing that adrenaline pumping feeling of holding a car 2 inches (5cm) from a cliff edge.

Having just come out of a AUDI S5 the difference is night and day. To get the Audi to the edge required an almost reckless attitude, the line between in an out of control is very thin if you go over, you go over instantly. The 991 has a much broader line allowing you to tip toe the edge without going over and giving you the ability to pull that toe back if you stray a little too far.

The 991 fits that unique slot in between Wolf and Sheep with a little DNA from both. Make your own decision on whether you want more wolf or more sheep based on the angle of your right foot ! If you are looking for more wolf than the 991 can offer, the turbo should be a blast, or Pony up and get an Italian car which carries none of the Sheep aspect and you get to run with the pack every day.

Of all the cars I have driven few have put the wry smile on my face as this car slips into the change room and pulls off its woolly jumper (jersey) to expose mane and teeth, Im not saying its the same dumb grin you get when smashing the g force barrier in an Aventador or 348, its a wry smile and for me, a wry smile is just about right.......
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

You don't say where you live. In CA, the 4S isn't really going to be any different than the 2S (unless you're driving to Tahoe or Mammoth during the winter). The 2S is quite good in the rain too, so the real advantage to the 4S as a DD would be if you live somewhere with a fair amount of snow.

PTV is already installed in all S models, so just enjoy the ride :-)

...and yes, most people use the 911 as a DD. It's very very good for that, but even more fun on a track.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 AM
WhyGeeGee
5th Gear

I don't live in the US but rather in Qatar where we have some of the worst roads (holes, un-even surfaces and manholes that stick in the middle of the street).

The reason I ask if there is a difference between the S and 4S model is because the salesman is trying to convince me that the 4S is way better since it's more expensive and since we only have one Porsche dealer it's kinda hard getting answers.

Coming from a 6 series I know that the ride comfort will not be the same which I'm ok with, but I can't trust the salesman after telling me that the GT3 front lip won't be a problem with our roads and any parking areas with steep slopes when I asked him if I need the the front axle lifting system.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 313 Likes on 188 Posts

The GT3 front spolier sits far lower than the 2S or 4S, as the entire car sits far lower. The GT3 is rear drive only and not realy the best choice for a daily driver. The GT3 spoiler is not an option for either car you mention at present. The Sport Design front bumper/spoiler is lower than the standard one, but still provides decent clearance- the lift system is really just for the GT3- a bit of care aroung driveways is all you need. The standard S suspension provides good comfort and handling superior to what you are used to. It is fine for occssional tracking.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

For Qatar I would stick with a C2S.

Given the bad roads, your suspension options will be the most important choices.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:14 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
For Qatar I would stick with a C2S.

Given the bad roads, your suspension options will be the most important choices.
Agreed. 2S with PDCC will help.

Quick Reply: Buying my first Porsche and have some Qs