Sponsored by:

GT3 Steering Calibration for 991 base and S

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ +1 ^^

I think that when it was stated that the EPS hardware was identical, that just means that the specific part is the same (steering column, steering motor??). The GT3 has a bunch of differences in the entire suspension set up, so as much as I'd like it to be the case, I don't think the GT3 steering calibration will translate to a regular Carrera. Not that it was bad to begin with IMO.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:41 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standard features from uk website,

GT3
Rear axle steering with sports tuning
Electromechanical power steering with variable steering ratio and speed-sensitive power steering assistance
Dynamic engine mount system
McPherson spring strut axle, front anti-roll bar, chassis bearings partially with ball joints
Multi-link rear axle, rear anti-roll bar, chassis bearings partially with ball joints
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) adjustable damper system with sports tuning and lowering of approx. 30mm compared to the 911 Carrera
Porsche Stability Management (PSM) with ABS, ASR, ABD, and MSR 2-stage switching strategy for deactivation
Adjustable chassis for race track use (toe, camber, anti-roll bars)

Turbo
Rear-axle steering
Electromechanical power steering with variable steering ratio
Porsche Stability Management (PSM) with ABS, ASR, ABD, MSR
McPherson-strut suspension with anti-roll bar at front
Multi-link suspension with anti-roll bar at rear
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)

Regular Carreras
McPherson-strut suspension with anti-roll bar at front
Power-assisted steering with variable steering ratio
LSA multi-link suspension with anti-roll bar at rear
Enhanced Porsche Stability Management (PSM) with ABS, ASR, ABD, MSR and additional brake functions
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) with ride height lowered by 10 mm
Old 07-05-2013, 05:36 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Ah, so inconsistent writing is what's throwing you.

USA site:

"Electromechanical power steering with variable steering ratio and steering impulse "

And if you add Power Steering Plus the speed sensitive bit, too.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:28 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
Standard features from uk website,

GT3
. . . . .
This is typical of many product marketing spiels.

Even though all the various models in a product line have all the same base features, the marketer will describe them differently or highlight more of the same specs in the upper model so that you think you are getting a lot more than the lesser model.

In pyramids quote from the UK site, this is classic deception!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
In pyramids quote from the UK site, this is classic deception!
Seems like it is
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Don't forget the electronic F1 inspired diff!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 AM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Bingo! Same here. It's like a different car.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
I am sorry to ask this stupid question which may already be many answers out there. How do you change the setting?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yxc145
I am sorry to ask this stupid question which may already be many answers out there. How do you change the setting?
Tire pressure gauge with a bleeder valve. The air comes right out.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:33 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yxc145
Keep flipping through the menus on the screen within the gauge cluster (the one to the right of the Rev counter) until you get to the tire pressure menu. Go further into that menu by pressing the select button / pushing the stalk forward (depending on if you have SD or Multi Function steering wheel), then select comfort pressure setting. Going to fill info screen within that menu shows you how far off you are from the intended setting. For example, if it says +2 in all 4 corners, then you have 2psi too much in all 4 corners.

Really recommend doing this.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Looking for some clarity - is in fact the Power Steering Plus $270 option on my 2013 Carrera S the same as the GT3's "Electromechanical power steering with variable steering ratio and speed-sensitive power steering assistance" ?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just order a set of KW V3 Coilovers, I think it should help bring some steering feel back, from all the feedback I read online with just lowering the car with H&R springs. With a completely new suspension it should help transform the handling quite a bit, will give feedback after installation
Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Looking for some clarity - is in fact the Power Steering Plus $270 option on my 2013 Carrera S the same as the GT3's "Electromechanical power steering with variable steering ratio and speed-sensitive power steering assistance" ?
That is what I would like to know. Is it better to order the Power Steering Plus option just in case it is the one similar to GT3 steering just with different software programming?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Originally Posted by Riz
That is what I would like to know. Is it better to order the Power Steering Plus option just in case it is the one similar to GT3 steering just with different software programming?
Power Steering Plus provides additional boost on the Carrera models only at low speeds for parking. This feature isn't available on the 991 GT3. PSP isn't related to the speed sensitive steering on the GT3 which is designed to provide the best steering feel and response at all speeds.

BTW the Carrera models also have electromechanical variable ratio power steering and I always thought it was speed sensitive as well.

The steering unit itself in the Carrera and GT3 is the same except for the software programming. But some of the difference in steering feel is due to the wider track and different tires, springs and shocks, lower control arms, and suspension settings of the GT3. That's why I don't think the GT3 steering software would work properly on the Carrera; it would have to be recalibrated for the differences of the Carrera chassis.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

But would it work on the Anniversary model because it is a widebody and rear wheel drive?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Supposedly, nearly every suspension piece on the GT3 is revised from the Carrera so despite the Anniversary car having the same wide track chassis there are still many differences. I'm sure the steering software on the GT3 is also programmed to work with rear wheel steering on the GT3 which the Carreras don't have.

Not saying I know it wouldn't work, just that there are reasons why it might not.

Quick Reply: GT3 Steering Calibration for 991 base and S