Sponsored by:

GT3 Steering Calibration for 991 base and S

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 AM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Steering Calibration for 991 base and S

My favorite and IMO the most credible automotive journalist Chris Harris praised GT3 steering feel and said it is much improved as compared to other 991 variants. He also said that all the improvement is in the software/calibration. I tried to call Porsche NA and ask but they said to call my local service adviser. So has anyone heard whether this new calibration is coming to 991/991s?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked the exact same question in another thread, but no replies. I don't think anyone knows. Unless you're a Porsche engineer or who has driven the '13 and '14 back to back, it may be hard to tell. And until the GT3 shows up, I doubt there's going to be any changes. Also the GT3 has different front suspension setup so it's not going to be a simple software upgrade (although I sure hope something gets passed along! Just drove a 4s and wasn't that impressed with the steering feel: can't compare with my nsx)
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First things first - what tire pressure are you running?

I dropped mine to near Comfort setting ( 32/36 ) and I feel that the steering feel was much improved, and overall traction seemed better.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:29 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

while I certainly want it, I doubt it we'll get it anytime soon. Its a different car w/ a different set up for a focused group so I dont think P willput it in the "more pedestrian" carrera.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:55 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
My favorite and IMO the most credible automotive journalist Chris Harris praised GT3 steering feel and said it is much improved as compared to other 991 variants. He also said that all the improvement is in the software/calibration. I tried to call Porsche NA and ask but they said to call my local service adviser. So has anyone heard whether this new calibration is coming to 991/991s?
Not a chance, beside rear wheel steering, GT3 comes with electromechanical power steering with variable steering ratio instead of power assisted steering with variable steering ratio on regular Carreras. Funny is power steering plus (speed sensitive steering) comes standard on GT3 while some others swore by it when ordering regular Carreras.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:26 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by certified_prime
First things first - what tire pressure are you running?

I dropped mine to near Comfort setting ( 32/36 ) and I feel that the steering feel was much improved, and overall traction seemed better.
Bingo! Same here. It's like a different car.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
GT3 comes with electromechanical power steering with variable steering ratio instead of power assisted steering with variable steering ratio on regular Carreras.
Wait, what? I thought the steering hardware was the same, with some software tweaks?

Interesting re standard power steering plus on the GT3.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Wait, what? I thought the steering hardware was the same, with some software tweaks?

Interesting re standard power steering plus on the GT3.
I think based on all interviews and published specs that you have it right.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc

I think based on all interviews and published specs that you have it right.
+1
If I remember correctly, did mr. Preuninger said it himself, that it was only software tuning. Hardware is exactly the same as in every other 991.

Suzy991
Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Right. But I think that there are hardware, configuration and even tire differences - apart from software- between the GT3 and current Carreras that likely have impacts, like lower control arms and suspension tuning. On any 991 lowering and camber/caster make for differences in feel.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Right. But I think that there are hardware, configuration and even tire differences - apart from software- between the GT3 and current Carreras that likely have impacts, like lower control arms and suspension tuning. On any 991 lowering and camber/caster make for differences in feel.
Of course we can't expect the exact same steering feel as in a GT3. There is even a difference between the C2(S) and the C4(S) because of the extra weight and axles in the front of the car, C4S has much better steering feel than the C2S, according to some journalists. And I personally think I could feel it too when I was driving them back to back... But not completely sure about it.

Suzy991
Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Of course we can't expect the exact same steering feel as in a GT3. There is even a difference between the C2(S) and the C4(S) because of the extra weight and axles in the front of the car, C4S has much better steering feel than the C2S, according to some journalists. And I personally think I could feel it too when I was driving them back to back... But not completely sure about it.

Suzy991
That's odd. Logic would dictate it to be the other way around as the C2 front wheels only have to do the steering and don't have to deal with the torque.

But if it's indeed the weight thing on the front axle (or % weight distribution front vs rear), then the Carrera should have a slightly better steering feel as the Carrera S as it's 15kg lighter engine would likewise give more front axle pressure, no ?

Anyhow, I'm perfectly happy with the steering feel of my C2. I honestly don't know what everyone is complaining about. Now after a few 100km of break in, my driver inputs are starting to get in tune with the car, and it just has a flow to it when driving it properly on twisty roads (whereas at first when my inputs were off, the car seemed to fight me), something I never experienced in any other car, not even the Boxster. It seems the 991 rewards correct driver inputs. Only thing I do not like is the light front end in high speed corners, but I guess that's either a typical 911 thing, or me not driving it correctly yet !
Old 07-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bccars

That's odd. Logic would dictate it to be the other way around as the C2 front wheels only have to do the steering and don't have to deal with the torque.
Very nice review of the C4S, where he talks about the difference between the C2 and C4 and why it intends to be better in the C4S.

Nice road too btw...

Suzy991
Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice video, thanks for posting. Compared with the C2(S) the C4(S) has an additional front axis drive shaft for the steering which, according to Evo, improves steering feel and performance. So far I have attributed the slightly better steering feel of the 4S to the added weight up front in my highly scientific (sarcasm) tests. I was probably wrong (surprise). If indeed a hardware difference thwould be a more plausible explanation of the better feel. I'm curious how the GT3 setup compares with the C2 and C4 - only a SW tweak? Is it based on C2 or C4 hardware? Or entirely different?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SkandoSchwabe
Nice video, thanks for posting. Compared with the C2(S) the C4(S) has an additional front axis drive shaft for the steering which, according to Evo, improves steering feel and performance. So far I have attributed the slightly better steering feel of the 4S to the added weight up front in my highly scientific (sarcasm) tests. I was probably wrong (surprise). If indeed a hardware difference thwould be a more plausible explanation of the better feel. I'm curious how the GT3 setup compares with the C2 and C4 - only a SW tweak? Is it based on C2 or C4 hardware? Or entirely different?
According to a lot of journalists and, if I remeber correctly, even Porsche sources, it is only a SW tweak. Of course, there are different tires, 4WS, enhanced suspension, that will help to make the difference. But the powersteering system itself (hardware) is exactly the same.

Suzy991

Quick Reply: GT3 Steering Calibration for 991 base and S