Sponsored by:

Sharkwerks exhaust 991 review needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Viper3838
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarAholic

Sorry in advance for the crappy video, just something I quickly recorded while I was testing disconnecting the mufflers.
Video Link: http://youtu.be/h1VwSQolicw

Here is a picture with just the 90's installed getting my new pipes bent today so I can put my tips back on. The car has gotten very loud lately but I have a feeling this is due to the 90's pointing straight at the ground and towards the cabin. I did this originally so it didn't look like I had a lawn mower exhaust. I am going to rotate them this afternoon to see if that helps. I am starting to think that the sharkwerks or side muffler delete with the stock center muffler is the best set up. If rotating the 90's doesn't quite it down in the cabin at all I will be reinstalling the center muffler to try that setup. Just to clarify the above video does not have the 90's installed and the exhaust is just exiting the x pipe.
Hi CarAholic

Thx for the soundclip and photo. Was the sound taken of cabin noise with the camera inside the car? Sounds ok. Deeper and throatier than xpipe plus stock side cans but as usual hard to tell by a video. Pls do let us know how all your experimentations turn out. As mentioned I currently have the fabspeed xpipe too and considering to add the fabspeed side mufflers or doing the side muffler deletes with either sharkwerks or agency power. I just want more sportier and grumpier sound which should add to the driving enjoyment. I think the sound will be more controlled with those longer sidepipe deletes rather than just coming straight off the xpipe like in your experiment.

Too bad fabspeed does not have a soundclip of the xpipe plus side cans setup.

Agency power has their xpipe and side cans delete with car on dyno but sound not clear. Check out the second video:

http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/...-p-163068.html
Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

The camera was sitting in the passenger seat so the video was of cabin noise. I was looking at the fabspeed side mufflers but I can't justify 1600 for two mufflers. I have a feeling I will be reinstalling the center muffler and possibly ordering the sharkwerks. As the pipe I am having bent will have very tight turns and will probably produce unwanted resonance.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:32 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Ok my thoughts so far. After driving with straight pipes for awhile it sounds amazing but definitely over the top. It is not good for a highway cruiser as it is loud while maintaing a higher mph. The sound can be reduced slightly by keeping it in a lower gear or two. While driving on the street to keep it quite you have to keep it a couple gears higher then usual. Outside the car it is obnoxiously loud but it isn't horrendous inside the cabin. One thing that I disliked about straight pipes is the car would produce a hiss while slowing down and it sounded like someone was just ripping *** (to much like fast and furious four bangers).

I have now tried stock center section and no side mufflers aka sharkwerks. Now my first impressions of driving the car were not good. First thing I noticed was damn this is quite. When you started up the straight pipe setup it was epic but it's very subdued with the stock center section in. I did notice however a stronger pull in every gear. Now I don't know if this is because of the loss of back pressure of the straight pipe system, the 12 degree temperature drop, or completely made up in my butt dyno. I was dissaponted at first opening it up as it was very quite unlike the straight pipes where it sounded like the gates of hell opening up. My drive in this morning I came to a different conclusion since I had some time apart from the straight pipe set up. It has a nice deep grumble and has a good amount of volume though I think I still want a hair more. It has some nice grumbly backfires and screams at the higher rpms. The only downside to this set up is that it does produce some drone on the highway. Not as much as the straight pipes but not a lot less either, it's a drone that you could get used to and isn't very intruisive.

So my conclusion on the sharkwerks style exhaust is if you don't do a lot of highway driving or don't mind a little drone it is a very good set up. Now for those of you who don't want any drone I would say just get an x pipe as they produce absolutely zero drone. With the x pipe (fabspeed) you will get a hair louder volume from the stock set up with some more burbles and pops but also a higher pitched exhaust note. If your looking for a louder car with deeper growls and backfires the sharkwerks style exhaust is the best bang for buck and produces a louder much deeper sound then the x pipe.

I am still unsure of which system I will be running. I am going to run the sharkwerks style exhaust for a little bit longer to see how I like it over an extended period of time. If I like this set up I will be ordering the sharkwerks pipe. What's nice about the sharkwerks pipe is I will easily be able to switch between straight pipes and a more reasonable sound with the center muffler. Without that pipe I am stuck with the limp dick law mower exhaust tips. I still might try a couple more systems before finding the perfect exhaust for me.

I would also like to apologize to sharkwerks for the thread de rail that came out of this, if the moderators want to separate this into a superset thread I am all for it. Just a side note everyone should expiernce a straight pipe set up once it is something that can be done for extremely cheap and quickly reversible.

Last edited by CarAholic; 10-22-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Viper3838
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Ok my thoughts so far. After driving with straight pipes for awhile it sounds amazing but definitely over the top. It is not good for a highway cruiser as it is loud while maintaing a higher mph. The sound can be reduced slightly by keeping it in a lower gear or two. While driving on the street to keep it quite you have to keep it a couple gears higher then usual. Outside the car it is obnoxiously loud but it isn't horrendous inside the cabin. One thing that I disliked about straight pipes is the car would produce a hiss while slowing down and it sounded like someone was just ripping *** (to much like fast and furious four bangers).

I have now tried stock center section and no side mufflers aka sharkwerks. Now my first impressions of driving the car were not good. First thing I noticed was damn this is quite. When you started up the straight pipe setup it was epic but it's very subdued with the stock center section in. I did notice however a stronger pull in every gear. Now I don't know if this is because of the loss of back pressure of the straight pipe system, the 12 degree temperature drop, or completely made up in my butt dyno. I was dissaponted at first opening it up as it was very quite unlike the straight pipes where it sounded like the gates of hell opening up. My drive in this morning I came to a different conclusion since I had some time apart from the straight pipe set up. It has a nice deep grumble and has a good amount of volume though I think I still want a hair more. It has some nice grumbly backfires and screams at the higher rpms. The only downside to this set up is that it does produce some drone on the highway. Not as much as the straight pipes but not a lot less either, it's a drone that you could get used to and isn't very intruisive.

So my conclusion on the sharkwerks style exhaust is if you don't do a lot of highway driving or don't mind a little drone it is a very good set up. Now for those of you who don't want any drone I would say just get an x pipe as they produce absolutely zero drone. With the x pipe (fabspeed) you will get a hair louder volume from the stock set up with some more burbles and pops but also a higher pitched exhaust note. If your looking for a louder car with deeper growls and backfires the sharkwerks style exhaust is the best bang for buck and produces a louder much deeper sound then the x pipe.

I am still unsure of which system I will be running. I am going to run the sharkwerks style exhaust for a little bit longer to see how I like it over an extended period of time. If I like this set up I will be ordering the sharkwerks pipe. What's nice about the sharkwerks pipe is I will easily be able to switch between straight pipes and a more reasonable sound with the center muffler. Without that pipe I am stuck with the limp dick law mower exhaust tips. I still might try a couple more systems before finding the perfect exhaust for me.

I would also like to apologize to sharkwerks for the thread de rail that came out of this, if the moderators want to separate this into a superset thread I am all for it. Just a side note everyone should expiernce a straight pipe set up once it is something that can be done for extremely cheap and quickly reversible.
Hello CarAholic: just to be clear, you do not have the sharkwerks side muffler bypass yet, correct? However you have tried bypassing the side mufflers by disconnecting them and re-directing the exhaust flow to the ground along with:
1) the fabspeed xpipe, and then
2) the OEM centre muffler

But without using the actual Sharkwerks side muffler bypass pipes, the sound may be different, which i think tha actual Sharkwerks pipes should sound more tuned and sportier than just redirecting the flow.

I know you are contemplating whether to stick with one of the following:
1) the fabspeed x pipe + OEM side mufflers, or
2) using the OEM centre muffler + the sharkwerks side muffler by pass

But have you considered trying the fabspeed x pipe + the sharkwerks side muffler by pass together???

This is what I am very tempted to do. I too already have the fabspeed xpipe but also find the sound to be too tame and high pitched for my liking and in some cases seems even quieter than the OEM centre because there are no valves. For this reason, I am thinking of installing both the fabspeed xpipe + the sharkwerks side muffler bypasses together and see what happens. If you already have both these parts, would appreciate if you could try that and let me know how it turns out, but I think it just might sound freakin' screamin' awesome!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running the Sharkwerks side exhaust, with the FVD Brombacher x-pipe, and Fabspeed Headers. The thing sounds like a monster, and has two settings: loud and different loud. A car in front of me moved out of the way with me only downshifting behind it. I'll share some video clips when I get home.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Viper3838
Advanced

Question

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I'm running the Sharkwerks side exhaust, with the FVD Brombacher x-pipe, and Fabspeed Headers. The thing sounds like a monster, and has two settings: loud and different loud. A car in front of me moved out of the way with me only downshifting behind it. I'll share some video clips when I get home.
Hi Team Plutonium, yes please do share some sound clips when you have a chance. How loud is the LOUD? Your FVD Brombacher xpipe has valves to control, but for me with fabspeed xpipe and sharkwerks, its ALWAYS going to sound the same and I am just worried that it may be TOO LOUD! or is it tolerable? I wonder if it is even street legal since these setups do not have ANY mufflers or even a resonator??? I don't believe your FVD xpipe has any resonators on it either, does it? Have you received any grief from fellow road sharing citizens or cops??? :s
Old 10-22-2013, 11:35 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Looking forward to some vids Team Plutonium! I'm wondering how you're setup would sound compared with Sharkwerks plus PSE centre ?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viper3838
Hello CarAholic: just to be clear, you do not have the sharkwerks side muffler bypass yet, correct? However you have tried bypassing the side mufflers by disconnecting them and re-directing the exhaust flow to the ground along with:
1) the fabspeed xpipe, and then
2) the OEM centre muffler

But without using the actual Sharkwerks side muffler bypass pipes, the sound may be different, which i think tha actual Sharkwerks pipes should sound more tuned and sportier than just redirecting the flow.

I know you are contemplating whether to stick with one of the following:
1) the fabspeed x pipe + OEM side mufflers, or
2) using the OEM centre muffler + the sharkwerks side muffler by pass

But have you considered trying the fabspeed x pipe + the sharkwerks side muffler by pass together???

This is what I am very tempted to do. I too already have the fabspeed xpipe but also find the sound to be too tame and high pitched for my liking and in some cases seems even quieter than the OEM centre because there are no valves. For this reason, I am thinking of installing both the fabspeed xpipe + the sharkwerks side muffler bypasses together and see what happens. If you already have both these parts, would appreciate if you could try that and let me know how it turns out, but I think it just might sound freakin' screamin' awesome!!!
The straight pipes I was talking about was the muffler delete with my 90's rotated pointed out the back of the car with the fabspeed x-pipe. I was not running the sharkwerks exhaust but the loudness of the exhaust will not change from what I was running. The tone could change a hair but I would be skeptical if it did as the sharkwerks will provide more backpressure then the setup I was running. The drone could change, but I am thinking that the increase in back pressure and moving the exhaust pipes closer to the passenger compartment would increase this. I am still debating ordering the sharkwerks pipe so I could mount my tips and to try it out with all the combos I have so far tried. Just trying to justify another 1,000 towards my exhaust.

I think the FVD x pipe does have resonators in it but I could be wrong. The straight pipe setup is extremly loud but the backfires and burbles are to die for. I would love to try the straight pipe setup with two resonators in the x-pipe as I think this would be a happy medium. In the end if you want to hear basically what the sharkwerks+fabspeed x-pipe sounds like just disconnect your side muffler literally takes 5 min. It wont get you the exact sound but it will give you a nice preview. Also make sure you drive it on the highway because driving it on the street its perfect.

The straight pipe setup could get you a sound violation ticket depending on your location and how the cops are in your area. But as long as your not full throttle next to a cop you will be fine as you can drive it normally and its not extremly loud.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Hi Team Plutonium, yes please do share some sound clips when you have a chance. How loud is the LOUD? Your FVD Brombacher xpipe has valves to control, but for me with fabspeed xpipe and sharkwerks, its ALWAYS going to sound the same and I am just worried that it may be TOO LOUD! or is it tolerable? I wonder if it is even street legal since these setups do not have ANY mufflers or even a resonator??? I don't believe your FVD xpipe has any resonators on it either, does it? Have you received any grief from fellow road sharing citizens or cops??? :s
It is almost too loud... no question; my wife hates it and finds it obnoxious. I love it, and I don't care. I'm sure it isn't really street legal, but the local police knows me very well, and I take it easy on the roads. I *do* watch out for troopers, and I passed a bunch of them with this set-up, and so far so good. BTW, any Harley is way louder and more annoying (IMHO). My fellow motorists either love it (the younger crowd, and car folks), or hate it (Prius drivers, hippies, vegans, etc..).

The short video clip is the sound without the Fabpseed headers, only the sharkwerks exhaust and FVD x-pipe. This was under 4K rpms., go over and the car screams. I'll do a better quality clip (holding the iphone the correct way ) , and with the headers shortly... and some WOT clips.

Originally Posted by lbahoshy
Looking forward to some vids Team Plutonium! I'm wondering how you're setup would sound compared with Sharkwerks plus PSE centre ?
It will be toned down quite a bit, which might be the better alternative for some folks.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Viper3838
Advanced

It is almost too loud... no question; my wife hates it and finds it obnoxious. I love it, and I don't care. I'm sure it isn't really street legal, but the local police knows me very well, and I take it easy on the roads. I *do* watch out for troopers, and I passed a bunch of them with this set-up, and so far so good. BTW, any Harley is way louder and more annoying (IMHO). My fellow motorists either love it (the younger crowd, and car folks), or hate it (Prius drivers, hippies, vegans, etc..).

The short video clip is the sound without the Fabpseed headers, only the sharkwerks exhaust and FVD x-pipe. This was under 4K rpms., go over and the car screams. I'll do a better quality clip (holding the iphone the correct way ) , and with the headers shortly... and some WOT clips.

It will be toned down quite a bit, which might be the better alternative for some folks.

Hi Team Plutonium, that does sound pretty AWESOME!!! How is it coasting on the highway? Is the db levels inside the car tolerable that you can you still have a conversation with your wife without screaming at each other? If you can, it would be great if you can shoot a video from behind the car, starting up, and revving it up. Thanks again for your input, and sharing your experiences greatly appreciated!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Hi Team Plutonium, that does sound pretty AWESOME!!! How is it coasting on the highway? Is the db levels inside the car tolerable that you can you still have a conversation with your wife without screaming at each other? If you can, it would be great if you can shoot a video from behind the car, starting up, and revving it up. Thanks again for your input, and sharing your experiences greatly appreciated!
Thanks! I'll shoot some more videos in the coming days, if it doesn't snow.

With the windows closed I can cruise around all day long, chat, and listen to music - no problems. I don't do a lot of highway driving, but I'll pay attention to that next time I do. Again, I'll record some more clips including within the cabin.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Viper3838
Advanced

With the windows closed I can cruise around all day long, chat, and listen to music - no problems. I don't do a lot of highway driving, but I'll pay attention to that next time I do. Again, I'll record some more clips including within the cabin.
AWESOME!!! Super thanks TP!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Viper3838
Advanced

Hi Team Plutonium,
Does your set up sound like this:
?

Quite menacing and ferocious!!!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

^ Dude, that is tame compared to mine, is that a hybrid?
Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Viper3838
Advanced

^ Dude, that is tame compared to mine, is that a hybrid?
Oh s$&#/$%T!!! Really???

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks exhaust 991 review needed