Old 10-10-2013, 02:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lbahoshy
I've heard the Sharkwerks exhaust in person on the first 2 cars to have it installed in the Toronto area and I can tell you it sounds awesome!! (They were non-PSE "S" cars)

I'm awaiting my 2014 Carrera S (Nov delivery) and I'm going with the Sharkwerks exhaust plus getting the centre PSE (and button) retrofitted at the dealers's Tuning department!! Can't wait for the "bloody" noise!
Hehe way to go man! James is from Toronto (one of the owners here) and he says you guys are way more hardcore than anywhere else. Seriously I think we've sent like 8-9 sets already to the great white north!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hehe way to go man! James is from Toronto (one of the owners here) and he says you guys are way more hardcore than anywhere else. Seriously I think we've sent like 8-9 sets already to the great white north!

We'll take that as a compliment !!

Definitely looking forward to it. Had the centre muffler delete plus side mufflers modified on my prior 3.6 997.2 but I want more this time around. I'm hoping this will do the trick !!

Getting it done before I even take delivery! Have not heard the PSE plus Sharkwerks combo in person (seen your video only Sharkster) but I'll trust it will be aggressive enough even in "chill mode" and non WOT mode with more "drama" and amplified pops and gurgles on the overrun
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Viper3838
Advanced

Originally Posted by sharkster
Have you done any dyno tests with your secondary bypass pipes? Are there any performance gains? My car currently has a primary muffler x pipe bypass on it and wondering if you know what the result would be by adding your secondary mufflers bypass too? Still legal? Way too loud?
Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 AM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

I've heard the Sharkwerks exhaust in person on the first 2 cars to have it installed in the Toronto area and I can tell you it sounds awesome!! (They were non-PSE "S" cars)

I'm awaiting my 2014 Carrera S (Nov delivery) and I'm going with the Sharkwerks exhaust plus getting the centre PSE (and button) retrofitted at the dealers's Tuning department!! Can't wait for the "bloody" noise!
Then it's gonna be my turn to get you out and listen to it because i'm leaning on getting my centre replaced too
Old 10-11-2013, 01:08 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Originally Posted by XLOR8T
Then it's gonna be my turn to get you out and listen to it because i'm leaning on getting my centre replaced too

Absolutely ! Looking forward to it!

Apparently my car is going on the production line today!! Should arrive in Halifax end of November and be at Pfaff before December
Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

We'll take that as a compliment !!

Definitely looking forward to it. Had the centre muffler delete plus side mufflers modified on my prior 3.6 997.2 but I want more this time around. I'm hoping this will do the trick !!

Getting it done before I even take delivery! Have not heard the PSE plus Sharkwerks combo in person (seen your video only Sharkster) but I'll trust it will be aggressive enough even in "chill mode" and non WOT mode with more "drama" and amplified pops and gurgles on the overrun
You bet! We like our Canadians here... or else James would throttle us.... Oh if you had that stuff on the 997.2 then I can certainly compare it for you. The 991 set up is going to be considerably louder Even in chill mode when you lay into the throttle it's very far from chill!

Originally Posted by Viper3838
Have you done any dyno tests with your secondary bypass pipes? Are there any performance gains? My car currently has a primary muffler x pipe bypass on it and wondering if you know what the result would be by adding your secondary mufflers bypass too? Still legal? Way too loud?
So we have some work from EVOMS on that score (stay tuned on that). I won't have results for the center replacement in addition to this however. I would say it's going to be VERY VERY loud with your set up depending on what you have there...

Absolutely ! Looking forward to it!

Apparently my car is going on the production line today!! Should arrive in Halifax end of November and be at Pfaff before December
Very cool Xmas present!

Originally Posted by XLOR8T
LOL!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to possibly getting the side bypass pipes for my 991 3.4. Question though- I was able to get an S non PSE center muffler and tips- would their be any issue with fitment for this combo? Since I don't have the button to control the valves would it be unbearably loud or would the full center muffler (non pse ) keep this in check? Any other 3.4l cars that have done this?

Last edited by Justin N; 10-17-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 AM
lbahoshy
Instructor

[QUOTE=sharkster;10823023]You bet! We like our Canadians here... or else James would throttle us.... Oh if you had that stuff on the 997.2 then I can certainly compare it for you. The 991 set up is going to be considerably louder Even in chill mode when you lay into the throttle it's very far from chill!

Awesome !!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin N
Looking forward to possibly getting the side bypass pipes for my 991 3.4. Question though- I was able to get an S non PSE center muffler and tips- would their be any issue with fitment for this combo? Since I don't have the button to control the valves would it be unbearably loud or would the full center muffler (non pse ) keep this in check? Any other 3.4l cars that have done this?
Hi Justin -
The S tips will allow our system to work on the 3.4.

Is makes the 3.4L a lot louder, quite deep and almost like a muscle car. There are ways to avoid some of the noise (keeping the RPMs in check by shifting out of unpleasant drone-zones etc.), and possibly at freeway speeds you can eliminate some of this when cruising. But it will be a loud system.
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin N
I have the exact set up on my car. I have a 3.4L and found an S center and tips. The guys at Sharkwerks installed it for me - so they can speak to it better than I - but it should just bolt right on.

It is loud - just put it this way - it's louder than the induction noise you get when you press the sport button. It has a great ripping sound the more revs you load up.

There is quite a drone between 2,000 - 2,800 rpms - so if you are sitting at 70ish on the freeway you probably need to be in 6th vs 7th. The guys at SW said they can see what happens if they close the valves on the center - but I haven't had a chance to get back in there yet to see if it makes a difference.

I always have it in manual PDK mode now (in automatic it always seems to sit in the 2,000 rpm range when cruising around town) - but mainly as it's way more fun and sounds awesome. Particularly with the sport button pressed and when you let off the gas and the revs drop from 3,000 to 2,000 rpm - some huge burbling action!

Also at idle it sounds fantastic.

Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:47 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 114 Posts

I have been wanting to try out the sharkwerks exhaust as well. I am currently running an x pipe and the car is not loud enough, so I am thinking of running this with the sharkwerks. I am just worried about the loss in back pressure and I end up losing more torque from an already non torquey motor. I am going to do a trial test with just the side mufflers disconnected. The sharkwerks will of course preform better as the pressure drop won't be as severe and the sound might be a hair different. I will update everyone with the results.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Viper3838
Advanced

I am also running xpipe and find its just not loud enough. Which xpipe do you have? Mine is fabspeed. I too was also considering secondary muffler bypasses either sharkwerks or agency power but believe it may be way too loud without any mufflers at all. Pls let us know how u make out with your experimentations.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:48 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Ok it's know officially straight piped and damn does it sound good. Don't get me wrong it is loud and technically isn't straight piped since I still have cats. For a street setup with limited highway I think it's really well suited. If you do a lot of highway driving I would not recommend it though you can get around drone if you keep it in a lower gear. I wouldn't really call it drone though it's just that the exhaust is loud. I currently just have a set of 90 bends putting the exhaust towards the ground. I will be getting something fabbed up on Monday so I can put my tips back on as it looks pretty ghetto right now. I currently have the fabspeed center muffler bypass so there are no resonators on them. I think the exhaust would be perfect with a set of resonators. For those that are interested in trying to see what it sounds like before you buy just disconnect the side mufflers and swing them out of the way.

Last edited by CarAholic; 10-19-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Viper3838
Advanced

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Ok it's know officially straight piped and damn does it sound good. Don't get me wrong it is loud and technically isn't straight piped since I still have cats. For a street setup with limited highway I think it's really well suited. If you do a lot of highway driving I would not recommend it though you can get around drone if you keep it in a lower gear. I wouldn't really call it drone though it's just that the exhaust is loud. I currently just have a set of 90 bends putting the exhaust towards the ground. I will be getting something fabbed up on Monday so I can put my tips back on as it looks pretty ghetto right now. I currently have the fabspeed center muffler bypass so there are no resonators on them. I think the exhaust would be perfect with a set of resonators. For those that are interested in trying to see what it sounds like before you buy just disconnect the side mufflers and swing them out of the way.
Any chance you can post some photos, videos or sound clips? Would be very interested to hear the sound!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viper3838
Any chance you can post some photos, videos or sound clips? Would be very interested to hear the sound!
Sorry in advance for the crappy video, just something I quickly recorded while I was testing disconnecting the mufflers.

Here is a picture with just the 90's installed getting my new pipes bent today so I can put my tips back on. The car has gotten very loud lately but I have a feeling this is due to the 90's pointing straight at the ground and towards the cabin. I did this originally so it didn't look like I had a lawn mower exhaust. I am going to rotate them this afternoon to see if that helps. I am starting to think that the sharkwerks or side muffler delete with the stock center muffler is the best set up. If rotating the 90's doesn't quite it down in the cabin at all I will be reinstalling the center muffler to try that setup. Just to clarify the above video does not have the 90's installed and the exhaust is just exiting the x pipe.

Last edited by CarAholic; 10-21-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks exhaust 991 review needed