Sponsored by:

changing dial faces

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts
Default changing dial faces

I'm considering changing the instrument dial faces on my 991. Anyone know how big a job it is to do that? Is the instrument pod readily removable or does the whole dash have to come apart?
Thanks
Old 04-17-2015, 09:49 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you get any answer? My MY 2013 991 C2S has black dials and I was told by the parts department of my Porsche dealership that the whole instrument panel must be changed at a cost of $5600. Of course the dials would be OEM parts and not after market. Any information would be helpful.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:15 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
Did you get any answer? My MY 2013 991 C2S has black dials and I was told by the parts department of my Porsche dealership that the whole instrument panel must be changed at a cost of $5600.
This seems unlikely, given that Suncoast sells the gauge faces separately.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:39 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onedae
I'm considering changing the instrument dial faces on my 991. Anyone know how big a job it is to do that? Is the instrument pod readily removable or does the whole dash have to come apart?
Thanks
I'm on my cell, was typing a lot then lost it .

Anyway, the instrument pod is readily removable and no dashboard removal.

Short version,
- remove steering wheel.
- remove plastic cover behind steering wheel.
- pull out straight the plastic surrounding cover (between instrument and dash).
- unscrew instrument unit, take them out.
- pull out odometer button.
- unclip some tabs to remove the clear plastic cover.
- now everything are exposed.

If you need further info, I'll type from my laptop .
Old 04-18-2015, 02:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Did you get any answer? My MY 2013 991 C2S has black dials and I was told by the parts department of my Porsche dealership that the whole instrument panel must be changed at a cost of $5600. Of course the dials would be OEM parts and not after market. Any information would be helpful.
I think one needs to be careful in what is being asked.

There is not an insignificant difference between (1) changing dial faces and (2) swapping out the entire instrument gauge cluster.

For the former, you can buy different dial color faces from Rhonda at FVD (or Suncoast). These are aftermarket parts, and not OEM. From speaking with Rhonda, the swap of just the dial faces (not the entire gauge cluster), requires some sort of special tool that not all tuner shops have. So if you want to do this, before you order, you should call around and make sure there is a local shop that has the necessary equipment, or ask Rhonda at FVD for a referral. (As for DIY, I don't think so, but I am as handy with tools as I am with an unpinned grenade. In other words, not very.)

For the latter, if you want to switch out the entire cluster gauge, then you just need to buy the different cluster and it's generally plug-and-play.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:08 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

I'd be very interested in a step-though on anyone who has done this themselves, with instructions. I've no interest in paying someone to do it and can work on the car easily myself. I find the black gauges, especially the Gray Tach on the "S" models, to be nearly illegible with sunglasses on and would switch to white faces if the job isn't too involved or requires major dash dismantlement. TIA
Old 04-18-2015, 05:55 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think one needs to be careful in what is being asked.

There is not an insignificant difference between (1) changing dial faces and (2) swapping out the entire instrument gauge cluster.

For the former, you can buy different dial color faces from Rhonda at FVD (or Suncoast). These are aftermarket parts, and not OEM. From speaking with Rhonda, the swap of just the dial faces (not the entire gauge cluster), requires some sort of special tool that not all tuner shops have. So if you want to do this, before you order, you should call around and make sure there is a local shop that has the necessary equipment, or ask Rhonda at FVD for a referral. (As for DIY, I don't think so, but I am as handy with tools as I am with an unpinned grenade. In other words, not very.)

For the latter, if you want to switch out the entire cluster gauge, then you just need to buy the different cluster and it's generally plug-and-play.

Good luck.
I have never changed my dial faces, so I am not speaking form experience. However, I have read reports about the non OEM dial faces not holding up very well, so that might be something to consider if making the change. I am sure the OEM dial faces are much more expensive, but do you want to do the work, and pay for the aftermarket parts, just to have them fade or otherwise crap out on you in a couple years?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:13 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks guys. As always very helpful. Apparently, if one wants Porsche dials the instrument cluster must be purchase at $5900.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. As always very helpful. Apparently, if one wants Porsche dials the instrument cluster must be purchase at $5900.
Nope...

If you want to replace the gauge face there are other option than just swapping out the perfectly good gauges for new ones.

You can get an FVD upgrade kit at Suncoast (and I'm sure others) for $765 that upgrades the gauge face of the main instruments. and another that does the Sports Chrono for $329. So basically for about a $1000 you can upgrade them all.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...iorAccessories
They aren't Porsche parts but are from FVD. I've seen the results and I can't tell the difference between the factory and FVDs.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by scatkins
Nope... If you want to replace the gauge face there are other option than just swapping out the perfectly good gauges for new ones. You can get an FVD upgrade kit at Suncoast (and I'm sure others) for $765 that upgrades the gauge face of the main instruments. and another that does the Sports Chrono for $329. So basically for about a $1000 you can upgrade them all. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...iorAccessories They aren't Porsche parts but are from FVD. I've seen the results and I can't tell the difference between the factory and FVDs.
Thanks. I looked at the Suncoast ones. It would seem that Porsche could make changing dials easier using Porsche parts. They would probably make some good money by doing it. I wonder why they don't.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. I looked at the Suncoast ones. It would seem that Porsche could make changing dials easier using Porsche parts. They would probably make some good money by doing it. I wonder why they don't.
Yeah, I looked at the Porsche parts breakdown and they just consider the instrument cluster as an end assembly that isn't reparable. (thus no spare parts). I can't say that it completely surprises me as I've had other instrument clusters from other mfgs that weren't reparable either. Unfortunately the replacement part is $2700 to $3600 depending on the specific variant.. So the aftermarket kits seem like a deal.

Funny thing is Porsche does have repair kits for things. For example the center console buttons have a repair kit at a somewhat reasonable cost.. So go figure.

Quick Reply: changing dial faces