Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aetna Blue 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot fathom why Porsche even offers wood on a 911 or Boxster or Cayman. I can see it in the Panamera or Cayenne but not in the sports cars. I love the wood choices I have when I shop for Bentleys so it's not an anti-wood thing; just a disconnect between the nature of the beast and the use of wood inside. The only sports cars that should have wood were made in the 60s, IMO.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 AM
E36325is
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I would love to hear the story of how it went from an original owner custom order to "used car" in such a short time. I love the exterior color and could get used to the interior (although not so sure about the wood.) I'm just baffled sometimes though how/why someone runs up an ultra expensive made to order car like this then abandons it months later.
Me too.....
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello & thanks for the welcome into the 991 section.
I was going to do an introduction, but since my car has already been brought up...guess I can here.
Really wasn't even looking for a 991 & honestly haven't been following them that much...
...just was seeing what was out there, something like a 997 Cobalt blue Turbo was mainly what I thought I wanted & then one day I saw this Aetna blue Porsche.
The color is what really got my attention, I like blues alot...this is supposed to be what they used on the 356's & Speedsters back in the 60's.
I also like the interior, even the wood...I grew-up against it, but whether need to see it in person or whatever, my opinion is it really looks great & just works with the whole car.
My newest Porsche had been recently a '93 RS America....wow, a lot has changed in twenty years!
Like complete opposites comparing the two, lol.
I got it with 9xx miles, & although used, seems new to me.
Think I got a good deal & the story with the original owner is that he wanted a C4S instead.
So now I'm just trying to take everything in, learn what I've been missing & see what everyone is doing with theirs.
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it looks great, and I'm glad you are happy with it. The blue color is awesome - I would love to see it in person. Your garage looks sweet too! I like the reflection of the "checkered flag" floor tile...mimics the decal on some of the GT3s.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I shudder to think what the original MSRP was on that with all the custom stuff. I'm guessing you got a relative bargain. I absolutely love that blue color.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
The color is what really got my attention, I like blues alot...this is supposed to be what they used on the 356's & Speedsters back in the 60's.
Slantnose: Congratulations on your purchase!

'Aetna Blue' was indeed introduced in the 356 era as an official Porsche color! It was offered on the MY1960 and MY1961 T5 'B' models. So that would have included the first Roadsters (first photo)- but not the Speedsters! In more recent times, I have personally seen a .2 997S (MY2009) from California/Colorado done in this beautiful & elegant color (see second photo & third photos) via PTS. Some dealer also ordered a 981 Boxster in this PTS hue in Scotland (see fourth & fifth photo). 'Aetna Blue' is currently an approved color (under its German name 'Etna Blau') on the available PTS list from Porsche.

Enjoy it in good health!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Attached Images      
Old 06-25-2013, 01:38 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Slantnose: Congratulations on your purchase!

'Aetna Blue' was indeed introduced in the 356 era as an official Porsche color! It was offered on the MY1960 and MY1961 T5 'B' models. So that would have included the first Roadsters (first photo)- but not the Speedsters! In more recent times, I have personally seen a .2 997S (MY2009) from California/Colorado done in this beautiful & elegant color (see second photo & third photos) via PTS. Some dealer also ordered a 981 Boxster in this PTS hue in Scotland (see fourth & fifth photo). 'Aetna Blue' is currently an approved color (under its German name 'Etna Blau') on the available PTS list from Porsche.

Enjoy it in good health!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Eduardo's pics are a perfect illustration why one should never choose a paint color from pics on the internet. The 356 and the Boxster pics look pretty much identical but the 911 looks completely different and yet they are all the same color. If I were to choose the color on the 356 and it showed up looking like the pics of the 911 I would be sorely pissed!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Eduardo's pics are a perfect illustration why one should never choose a paint color from pics on the internet. The 356 and the Boxster pics look pretty much identical but the 911 looks completely different and yet they are all the same color. If I were to choose the color on the 356 and it showed up looking like the pics of the 911 I would be sorely pissed!
Sanibel: PTS is only for the 'brave' and those who dare to be different. It is only recommended for those that do their research and know exactly what they will 'get' when they order that color. I hope that most folks that consider PTS in a vintage color understand that they must do their homework on the 'hue' and know how that color will turn out in its current 'mix' formulation. For example, 'Signal Green' is a vintage long-hood early 911 color which was a 'special order' color from the 1966 on. It was resurrected by the factory as a color in the early 1990's. And it was also a PTS color offering in the 997 era. Yet each shade of the 'Signal Green' used by the factory in these three instances (and years apart) is slightly different - some had more blue tint, some had more yellow tint in their formulation! So bottom line, you better know what you want and make sure you like the color formulation presently offered by Porsche before you order PTS! But if you know what you want and the factory can reproduce that special color for you, there is nothing more satisfying than owning a unique PTS color vehicle! Trust me on this!

More about this subject in future post I will make on these two threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7515...fenhausen.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado

The 'Signal Green' in my former 2007 997S is 'W25', which has more yellow than earlier 'Signal Green' and other similar 'Grün' colors offered by Porsche in the past or present - Viper, 'RS Green', etc. 'W25-Signal Green' is just a spectacular color!
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Hey, thanks for clarifying the historical significance of Aetna blue.
I just liked how it looked & feel it's an added bonus...
...do you know why it's called that, anyway?
It's kind-of a crazy color that does seem to change alot.

BTW, I like that Signal green car you posted!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:19 AM
meine911
Racer

Hey, thanks for clarifying the historical significance of Aetna blue.
I just liked how it looked & feel it's an added bonus...
...do you know why it's called that, anyway?
It's kind-of a crazy color that does seem to change alot.
Saw a Mount Etna sat photo from recent eruption. Don't know if it's the origin. Could be.
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

...wonder if that's right?
Sounds better than an insurance company...
Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 AM
I'mAllIn
Rennlist Member

Default Wow

I bought it.
Really? I think it's a beautiful combo. Not usually a fan of wood trim but it definitely works in this combo. Enjoy!
Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

...wonder if that's right?
Sounds better than an insurance company...
I don't know the connection in Porsche's mind between 'Etna' and 'Blue'. However, 'Aetna' is the Latin word for 'Etna', the volcano! Porsche originally called the color 'Etna Blau' when it first came out in 1959. Somewhere along the line, Porsche decided to change the name of the color to 'Aetna Blue' for the English-speaking Porsche market. Don't really know why...but there you have it! Regardless, it's a very elegant and sophisticated hue...enjoy it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
I don't know the connection in Porsche's mind between 'Etna' and 'Blue'. However, 'Aetna' is the Latin word for 'Etna', the volcano! Porsche originally called the color 'Etna Blau' when it first came out in 1959. Somewhere along the line, Porsche decided to change the name of the color to 'Aetna Blue' for the English-speaking Porsche market. Don't really know why...but there you have it! Regardless, it's a very elegant and sophisticated hue...enjoy it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
...thanks for sharing that!
I really like this explaination alot & makes sense, so for now on it'll be the story when anyone asks...
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 211 Posts

Fantastic car, congrats.
I like the uniqueness

Quick Reply: Aetna Blue 991 C2S