Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New video 991 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess the confusing part for me with this prototype is that it is a disguised cab, but if the rear glass does not retract then why not the coupe back which has less of a 'hump'? Perhaps because of the shape of the glass and line? The production version will likely eliminate the seams from the retractable storage panel over the rear hump normally used to store the cab roof.

Also, notice that it seems to be a US spec model with the US version of the rear bumper...
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

What's confusing me is why is there a Targa at all? It's not quite a Coupe and it's not quite a convertible and it's a pain to remove and install so for those who don't like the Cabriolet, why not just get the Coupe with the glass sunroof? I simply don't get it...
Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
What's confusing me is why is there a Targa at all? It's not quite a Coupe and it's not quite a convertible and it's a pain to remove and install so for those who don't like the Cabriolet, why not just get the Coupe with the glass sunroof? I simply don't get it...
The car looks different with the big rear window and the aluminium Targa Bar. I really like the concept and I'm glad they got lost of the rediculous and ugly big sunroof idea on the 996 and 997. finally there will be a real Targa again.
Btw... It was originally introduced because the U.S. Regulations wouldn't allow convertibles without a safetybar. Porsche came up with a convertible, with safetybar and a detachable rearwindow. Now they only had to find a name for it. As they named their models after famous races they came up with "Targa Florio" (famous race in Sicily). After some disagreements between Porsche executives, they left the "Florio"-but out and the car became the Targa. It was an immediate succes, untill the Cabriolet showed up, somewhere in the early eighties I think.

Suzy991

Last edited by Suzy991; 06-26-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

I still think it's archaic, despite its history. The 80's called and want their T-Top back.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I still think it's archaic, despite its history. The 80's called and want their T-Top back.
I disagree, and would buy one in a second. It will have a better back seat and better visibility than the convertible, and better weather protection, while maintaining an open air feeling close to that of the convertible.

If it were out 3 months ago, it would have been my choice, but my prior lease was up and I had to make a move. It's a classic.

My father had a targa Corvette in the 80's and we loved it. I learned to drive on that car.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:05 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Nah, the old school targa is great. The 996, 997 targas were just oversized sunroofs.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

To each his own. I don't even care for sunroofs so Targas and T-top are even less appealing. To me it's ether a Coupe of a Cabriolet and nothing in-between. But, whatever floats your boat. As I said before, there's an *** for every saddle and a lid for every pot.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:06 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I am sure it will be much better than the older ones, but I had a 1984 Targa that leaked like crazy when it rained, or when washed. They could never get it fixed. I will never get another one because of that. I don't see the big attraction to the Targa. If you are going to lose the top, why not just get a cab?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I agree with those who just don't get it. Back in the 80s, owning a cabriolet meant a real compromise in many areas -- safety, structural rigidity, weight, noise, leakage, you name it. So the Targa made sense as an alternative. But now, those compromises are basically nonexistent. The Targa seems like a car without a mission.

Want open-top motoring, buy a cab. If you only occasionally want wind and sun coming through the roof, get a sunroof. If you want the lightest and stiffest car they make, order without a sunroof. These three options seem sufficient for 99% of drivers, unless there's something really interesting about the Targa configuration that I'm missing. I do look forward to seeing where they go with it.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Noah, finally a voice of reason!

Some of Porsche's choices lately mystify me, starting with the 911_50's wheels, mirrors and paint choices. I sure hope they come to their senses and put the kibosh on this Targa nonsense.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I agree with those who just don't get it. Back in the 80s, owning a cabriolet meant a real compromise in many areas -- safety, structural rigidity, weight, noise, leakage, you name it. So the Targa made sense as an alternative. But now, those compromises are basically nonexistent. The Targa seems like a car without a mission.

Want open-top motoring, buy a cab. If you only occasionally want wind and sun coming through the roof, get a sunroof. If you want the lightest and stiffest car they make, order without a sunroof. These three options seem sufficient for 99% of drivers, unless there's something really interesting about the Targa configuration that I'm missing. I do look forward to seeing where they go with it.
Except nobody can sit in the back seat of a cab. The seats are raked forwards in the 991 cab. My kids go in my car with me everywhere.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Originally Posted by cmb13
Except nobody can sit in the back seat of a cab. The seats are raked forwards in the 991 cab. My kids go in my car with me everywhere.
That's why there is the Coupe but hardly justification for a Targa.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

(Shrug) I'm fine with them offering the Targa configuration as an option, I just don't think they'll sell very many. The exclusivity might end up having an appeal all its own.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car in the video is pretty fugly, IMHO.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 AM
q7000
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmb13
The Targa will be based on the convertible construction -- and we still don't know for sure how the roof mechanism will work. But, personally, I'm pretty sure that there won't be more rear space than with the convertible.

Quick Reply: New video 991 Targa