Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 50th Anniv. Ed. or GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

No one here has driven the 991 GT3 so any suggestions are speculation. I tried hard to love a 997 GT3 before getting a 991 S and found that the suspension compromises for general street use (most of my use) were not acceptable to me. The 991 with its longer wheelbase and available front lit kit might be whole lot more livable that that was. But I would not bet on it. It has no more torque than a standard 991 S, the last 500 RPM are up there in the "explain it to the judge" end of the tach, and the suspension is track optimized. Porsche has a lot to prove with this car. On looks alone- I do think it works far better as a 991 than the 50th. Retro has a way of dating itself as "retro" rather than good design, IMHO. But no doubt a 50 yr anniversary car with Sport PASM added to the X51 and one of the optional colors would be a sweet ride with more than enough power and handling for the street.

If past history is any indication a 991 GTS should be available the year before the end of the 991 model run when Porsche needs to clear out the parts bin, in oh, 6 or 7 years.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
If past history is any indication a 991 GTS should be available the year before the end of the 991 model run when Porsche needs to clear out the parts bin, in oh, 6 or 7 years.
I'm not so sure we'll have that long a wait. Although in the past the GTS came out near the end of a model's run, more recent events seem to have changed that. The new Cayenne and the 2014 Panamera both have a GTS available almost from the very beginning. If you recall, the 997.2 GTS followed close on the heels of a couple of special editions. Now that the 50th Anniversary has been released - with the wide body, fabric interior, X51 engine -- my guess is that the 991 GTS isn't all that far away. I'd be surprised if it isn't released within the next year.

I have 21 months left on my 991S lease - I hope the GTS will be available by then. I loved my 997.2 GTS, but wanted the improved handling of the 991.

DMoore
'13 C2S (PDK, S-PASM, PDCC)
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 PM
scubadiver637
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may need to go to Stuttgart to see the 50th anniversary Geyser Grey and Graphite Grey in person to make the decision easier. I don't necessarily need back seats, but I do drive quite a bit for daily work. I don't want to be peeing blood all day from a track tuned suspension from a daily driver. I will wait to see how much "user friendly" the GT3 is as a daily driver. Thinking either Monochrome Black for the 991 50th anniversary edition or Sapphire Blue Metallic if I go with the GT3.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadiver637
I may need to go to Stuttgart to see the 50th anniversary Geyser Grey and Graphite Grey in person to make the decision easier. I don't necessarily need back seats, but I do drive quite a bit for daily work. I don't want to be peeing blood all day from a track tuned suspension from a daily driver. I will wait to see how much "user friendly" the GT3 is as a daily driver. Thinking either Monochrome Black for the 991 50th anniversary edition or Sapphire Blue Metallic if I go with the GT3.
Well, the 997 GT3 was not THAT bad for reasonably short duration drives! It is just that the 991S is just more versatile.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
For me personally, the GT3 is too boy-racerish
My thoughts, exactly. I'm not a fan of the big spoiler.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Originally Posted by scubadiver637
While there, make sure to sit in the GT3 seat to make sure you'll be comfortable in it. It doesn't have the adjustments of the 14-way and 18-way Sport and Sport Plus seats available on all the other models.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 PM
scubadiver637
Advanced

Thank you. I appreciate the suggestion.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed

While there, make sure to sit in the GT3 seat to make sure you'll be comfortable in it. It doesn't have the adjustments of the 14-way and 18-way Sport and Sport Plus seats available on all the other models.
As far as I know you can order the adaptive seats on the GT3 (either 4-way or 18-way). I even think the 4-way come as standard and you can opt for the 18-way or the bucketseats.

Suzy991
Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am finding this thread a bit difficult to understand. The 991-50 is a specially optioned, street, daily driver, with 30 extra hp. The extra hp will only be noticed under more extreme driving conditions (such as track driving)
Since you state that you will spend 1% on the track, this doesn't apply.
Unlike the previous iterations of the GT3 ( and I've had two of them) the new GT3 is a definite track animal that can be tolerated in getting you to the track and back home again. It is a far cry from the almost DD ability of the previous GT3s.
To me it's a no brainer. If you want a comfortable, collectable, special daily driver you have to get the 991-50. The GT3 will be not really suitable for your needs and you will probably wind up selling it (as so many initial buyers of the previous GT3s) when you find out that the car is really not comfortable unless you are in the upper ranges of the RPM band.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LonnieR
I am finding this thread a bit difficult to understand. The 991-50 is a specially optioned, street, daily driver, with 30 extra hp. The extra hp will only be noticed under more extreme driving conditions (such as track driving)
Unlike the previous iterations of the GT3 ( and I've had two of them) the new GT3 is a definite track animal that can be tolerated in getting you to the track and back home again. It is a far cry from the almost DD ability of the previous GT3s.
To me it's a no brainer. If you want a comfortable, collectable, special daily driver you have to get the 991-50. The GT3 will be not really suitable for your needs and you will probably wind up selling it (as so many initial buyers of the previous GT3s) when you find out that the car is really not comfortable unless you are in the upper ranges of the RPM band.
+1
Totally agree. They're totally different cars for different needs.

Suzy991
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree with everything you say except the definition of the new GT3 as a ' definite track animal..." then why no sport bucket seats? and i kn ow that subject has been beaten to death.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Granted, I haven't driven the 991 GT3. But I was under the impression general consensus was that also the GT3 will be better as a DD than predecessors due to the well known 991 platform enhancements ?!
But I guess the proof of the pudding is ...
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I agree with everything you say except the definition of the new GT3 as a ' definite track animal..." then why no sport bucket seats? and i kn ow that subject has been beaten to death.
I think the seat thing is Porsche's way of duping some into thinking this car may be a DD. Whenever I am at the track, most GT3's that are running have changed the seats and put the Euro seats in.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Originally Posted by Suzy991
As far as I know you can order the adaptive seats on the GT3 (either 4-way or 18-way). I even think the 4-way come as standard and you can opt for the 18-way or the bucketseats.

Suzy991
Indeed, Suzy, but you can't order the regular Sport seat, only the Sport Plus. The regular Sport seat (4-way or 14-way) isn't as tight or confining and is therefore more comfortable for those of us who are circumferentially challenged.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed

Indeed, Suzy, but you can't order the regular Sport seat, only the Sport Plus. The regular Sport seat (4-way or 14-way) isn't as tight or confining and is therefore more comfortable for those of us who are circumferentially challenged.
Aah now I get it the Sport Pus seats are indeed a bit tighter. Luckily I'm not that circumferentially challanged that I won't fit.

Suzy991

Quick Reply: 911 50th Anniv. Ed. or GT3