Does The 991 Have any Competitors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:57 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
lets be clear, no 911 since the 3.2 G50 has been a sports car. they are GT cars
Where've you been Quad - you're needed in the 991GT3 forum. Some interesting threads there.

I sorta agree with this. Actually since Porsche went GT3 route in 1999, they are diverging - Carreras and TT's are grand tourers, GT2/3 is the sports car line up. The 991 is just a further evolution in that divergence.

I think competition includes new Jag F-Type model S, Aston, Maserati, Audi R8 and M6, Merc SL, 997 Turbo S (Ok - I'm throwing that in). I am not saying that they are all the same but competition nontheless. I would take the 991 ahead of all of them.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I wonder how many people that immediately classify the 991 as a GT (sometimes implying that it's gone a bit soft) have actually driven one on track and experienced how incredibly sharp they are at the limit, especially in the version I have (S, SPASM).

The S is already so good and I know the 991 GT3 is going to blow it away...it's almost hard to believe how good it will be.

True, those other cars are competitors in various aspects (prestige, technology, etc.), but none straddle the line between GT and sports car as perfectly as the 991 does.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:21 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
I wonder how many people that immediately classify the 991 as a GT (sometimes implying that it's gone a bit soft) have actually driven one on track and experienced how incredibly sharp they are at the limit, especially in the version I have (S, SPASM).

The S is already so good and I know the 991 GT3 is going to blow it away...it's almost hard to believe how good it will be.

True, those other cars are competitors in various aspects (prestige, technology, etc.), but none straddle the line between GT and sports car as perfectly as the 991 does.
You said it yourself, the 991 straddles the line between sport and GT. No other car in essence does. The GT cars are all 4000lb pigs eg. Maserati, M6, Merc SL etc. But there's no doubt that the 997 and the 991 even more so are more creature comfort oriented. Not that its a bad thing. People who are buying these cars want that - full leather, deviated stitching, quiet ride, top notch stereo, etc. My first 911 - the AC didn't really work

Read this forum for how many people changed 997 to 991 because the 997 was too loud/harsh.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
luxury sports car
Talk about an oxymoron.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

nice post count
Old 06-21-2013, 10:36 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 156 Posts

Part of owning a 911 is that it's a 911. Also part of the mission is that a 911 can be a DD. I have owned most of the versions of 911's since my '86 Carrera. IMHO the 991S is the best of the lot. Put it in sport plus and it's an animal. Otherwise its very comfortable and everyday driveable. I can wait for my turbo to get here.

FWIW, I own or have owned most of the competition. It's all good, what flavor do you like? If I had to pick one car it would be my 911.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Talk about an oxymoron.
…Especially 911 and GT, and luxury, and cruiser. Words that should never appear in the same sentence. Someone-- a very prominent someone—is shifting uncomfortably in his grave.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 314 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
…Especially 911 and GT, and luxury, and cruiser. Words that should never appear in the same sentence. Someone-- a very prominent someone—is shifting uncomfortably in his grave.
You must be taking about YogiBerra. Herr Dr Porsche added luxury features to the quad cam 356 to make it the comfortable range topper. From the start Porsche has built cars the stretched the "sports car" envelope in multiple directions. The 911, as soon as they figured out how to not add lead weights to the front bumper, multiplied variations to market to the broad range of enthusiasts. The 991 just does it even better.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
You must be taking about YogiBerra. Herr Dr Porsche added luxury features to the quad cam 356 to make it the comfortable range topper. From the start Porsche has built cars the stretched the "sports car" envelope in multiple directions. The 911, as soon as they figured out how to not add lead weights to the front bumper, multiplied variations to market to the broad range of enthusiasts. The 991 just does it even better.
Yogi will be very disappointed to hear of his demise...all this time he thought he was alive and well and living in NJ. "It ain't over 'till it's over."
Old 06-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by rodsky
The GT cars are all 4000lb pigs.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by rodsky
But there's no doubt that the 997 and the 991 even more so are more creature comfort oriented. Not that its a bad thing. People who are buying these cars want that - full leather, deviated stitching, quiet ride, top notch stereo, etc. My first 911 - the AC didn't really work
Yes, but what I love about this car is that how all that fades away as soon as you turn off the stereo and push the Sport + button. All of a sudden everything gets all...
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Exactly.

Yes, but what I love about this car is that how all that fades away as soon as you turn off the stereo and push the Sport + button. All of a sudden everything gets all...
Awesome...changes from white to british racing green when you push the sport+! How cool would that be?!?! Sorry, can't help myself today - not only am I taking the afternoon off to play golf, it's an awesome hilly winding 20 mile rural two lane to get there!!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Awesome...changes from white to british racing green when you push the sport+! How cool would that be?!?! Sorry, can't help myself today - not only am I taking the afternoon off to play golf, it's an awesome hilly winding 20 mile rural two lane to get there!!!!
Envious. I wish I was golfing or, better yet, behind the wheel of my 911. It’s a rare, extremely rare, gorgeous day in NYC. Rare. And I'm stuck inside.

Btw- Yogi’s not dead (yet). But he is shifting uncomfortably in his sofa just having finished reading this thread. Yikes.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Awesome...changes from white to Viper green when you push the sport+! How cool would that be?!?! Sorry, can't help myself today - not only am I taking the afternoon off to play golf, it's an awesome hilly winding 20 mile rural two lane to get there!!!!
There, fixed it for you.

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!" -991

Enjoy the day off and the drive out there.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:19 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

I did the exact same thing. That is took the afternoon off to play golf.. . Nothing like driving the 911 to the course. Can't wait for Sunday at 5:45am, rinse and repeat.

Quick Reply: Does The 991 Have any Competitors?