Sponsored by:

Aha Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Aha Radio

Previously I'd not messed around with the Aha Radio streaming that's built into my 991 (MY 2013), but found myself on a desolate stretch so tried it out. You need the App for the phone and (I believe) the online services option on the car.

Basically not impressed. While I had a solid 3+ bars on my phone and 3G service all the way I couldn't consistently stream a song and multiple times PCM rebooted while driving (Porsche badge followed by the Carrera silolette).

When it did work stations are limited and not much to the service

Curious if anyone else has tried the service
Old 06-09-2013, 09:56 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 447 Likes on 197 Posts

I looked at the AHA app and was not impressed

I have a 2012 and was disappointed that online services were not available on my PCM.

That said, I have streamed podcasts, radio, stored music, Pandora, and audio books via Bluetooth seamlessly. I am "grandfathered" in by Verizon and have unlimited data so I suck as much data as I can every month usually 4gigs (I suppose the NSA has the same plan)

I purchased the TuneIn Radio app for iPhone. It works well and has a car (large ikon) mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 06-10-2013, 02:02 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Try other apps like spotifly...works consistently and pretty well! Yes I tried aha as well...it works but not consistently.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What keeps Porsche from offering the online services to those 991 ( or any others) who it wasn't available to at time of purchase? My service manager checked and got a big sorry from Porsche NA. With ford, kia and even hyduni offering this service it seems Porsche could add some programing to an update for the PCM to make this function available to its customers.

Given the total failure of aHa, save some face please.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trysixty
What keeps Porsche from offering the online services to those 991 ( or any others) who it wasn't available to at time of purchase? My service manager checked and got a big sorry from Porsche NA. With ford, kia and even hyduni offering this service it seems Porsche could add some programing to an update for the PCM to make this function available to its customers.

Given the total failure of aHa, save some face please.
Yup got the same lame story from Porsche. They even told me that it was somehow built into the hardware. I'm starting to believe that they hire the Porsche NA reps for their ability to get rid of inquiries as oppose to actually helping customers.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:44 PM
trysixty
Racer

Originally Posted by rnl
Yup got the same lame story from Porsche. They even told me that it was somehow built into the hardware. I'm starting to believe that they hire the Porsche NA reps for their ability to get rid of inquiries as oppose to actually helping customers.
we need a union
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trysixty
we need a union
You know, you are absolutely right. We need coordinated effective action. Why don't we pick a day and all call Porsche NA on that day to request an online service become available as part of a paid upgrade to the PCM? It most likely a software modification.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the input. For those without Online Services your not missing much
Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM
trysixty
Racer

Originally Posted by rnl
You know, you are absolutely right. We need coordinated effective action. Why don't we pick a day and all call Porsche NA on that day to request an online service become available as part of a paid upgrade to the PCM? It most likely a software modification.
what is the number? if nothing more I would call to just tell them how bad aHa is and how it really downgrades Porsche image to be associated with such a POS. telling my sales person is like spitting in the ocean and expecting the tide to come in.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Aha Ryan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear that you have had poor experiences with Aha in the Porsche PCM, and with Porsche support staff. Our testing has found the Porsche PCM to be very reliable, and the Aha streaming to be consistent through a variety of locations and network conditions, but we are always looking to improve.

We'd really like to hear more details about the problems you encountered. Specifically which smartphone model, operating system version, and content you were attempting to access when the problems occurred.

You can also send details to support[at]aharadio.com if you have details you don't want to post to a public forum.

Any feedback you can provide is welcome!

-Ryan

Aha Team
Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM
karas
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I'm new to Porsche and to Rennlist.
I also have had problems with AHA. It works<50% of the time. I can drive all the way to work with it on one day and on another it will not find the server during the whole route. My Motorola Droid connects flawlessly via BT and I can stream music from Pandora or even my home Synology server without any difficulties. When i connect my ipod to the USB ipod connector, it ejects AHA from the menu and deactivates it (when it is working). I opened a case with AHA and received this from AHA Ryan 3 months ago :
I did some digging and unfortunately this issue resides within the PCM software, and is not controllable by Aha. We've escalated your feedback through our developer channels, but to receive direct support you will need to contact your Porsche dealer.
Regards,
Ryan
-Aha Team
So I contacted Porsche. My salesman is also a tech geek so he was eager to assist. The service manager was involved as well. After several very detailed emails from me and my salesman we received this from Porsche:
Hello Mr. Karas,

Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars North America regarding your AHA
radio question. Research and testing has been completed. The operation
for Android phone, AHA radio, and iPod is normal. If you should experience
additional issues with operating the AHA radio, iPod, and your phone feel
free to either contact the Service Department at your Authorized Porsche
Dealership or the Porsche Contact Center.

Kindest Regards,

Katrina Preble
The Porsche Contact Center
1-800-PORSCHE Option 3
(1-800-767-7243)

So basically no help from either side. I have abandoned AHA.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
I looked at the AHA app and was not impressed

I have a 2012 and was disappointed that online services were not available on my PCM.

That said, I have streamed podcasts, radio, stored music, Pandora, and audio books via Bluetooth seamlessly. I am "grandfathered" in by Verizon and have unlimited data so I suck as much data as I can every month usually 4gigs (I suppose the NSA has the same plan)

I purchased the TuneIn Radio app for iPhone. It works well and has a car (large ikon) mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
I do the same thing with the same app. It works in most rental cars when I am traveling for work also.

Quick Reply: Aha Radio