Notices
991
Sponsored by:

So you think it's just a bumper job, huh?

 
Old 05-21-2015, 06:02 PM
  #31  
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 19,711
Default

Originally Posted by Sam Zamir View Post
And if you need any little touch ups and stuff, I'll take care of it for free while we chat.
That's class!!
LexVan is online now  
Old 05-21-2015, 10:18 PM
  #32  
cdelrosario
User
 
cdelrosario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 224
Default

Thanks for the most informative post Sam! Learned a lot & happily your in my neck of the woods! While I hope we never have to meet, for an accident, its nice to know your shop is nearby.

I may take you up on your offer of touch up though! lol
cdelrosario is offline  
Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 PM
  #33  
socalsteve
User
 
socalsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 304
Default

Sam is truly a good guy!

I went to his shop for a small aesthetic mod on my 991. He treated me like I was spending thousands. He is also very generous with his knowledge...

I too am glad I live close and hopefully I never need him for anything else but elective stuff.
socalsteve is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 09:42 AM
  #34  
STG
Super User
 
STG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 13,516
Default

Here's a bumper (badge) job for you!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-PORSHCE.html


STG is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 11:53 AM
  #35  
c_Gio
User
 
c_Gio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 856
Default

Have an office in culver city... Saved your details just in case!
c_Gio is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 12:30 PM
  #36  
Powereng
User
 
Powereng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 262
Default

Great post. Kinda surprised at the amount of damage. I tried the Porsche link but was unable to find your shop anymore on the list. Unfortunitely there is no approved shop around me for 120 miles.
Powereng is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 02:50 PM
  #37  
mdkrp
User
 
mdkrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 517
Default

Originally Posted by Sam Zamir View Post
Search for PACC's here:
https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...x=0&submit.y=0

I realize it's not couth to post external links. But this is a link to the actual manufacturer (technically the importer - PCNA (Porsche Cars North America). Good luck!
Yikes! the closest PACC to me is in another state- San Diego.
Sam- thanks for the informative, although scary, post. Really reminds us that one has to look way under the covers.
mdkrp is offline  
Old 05-26-2015, 02:08 PM
  #38  
Sam Zamir
User
Thread Starter
 
Sam Zamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 49
Default

Originally Posted by cdelrosario View Post
Thanks for the most informative post Sam! Learned a lot & happily your in my neck of the woods! While I hope we never have to meet, for an accident, its nice to know your shop is nearby.

I may take you up on your offer of touch up though! lol
Any time!



Originally Posted by socalsteve View Post
Sam is truly a good guy!

I went to his shop for a small aesthetic mod on my 991. He treated me like I was spending thousands. He is also very generous with his knowledge...

I too am glad I live close and hopefully I never need him for anything else but elective stuff.
Big and small, we do it all.



Originally Posted by Powereng View Post
Great post. Kinda surprised at the amount of damage. I tried the Porsche link but was unable to find your shop anymore on the list. Unfortunitely there is no approved shop around me for 120 miles.
There's a lot of politics to that site. If you or anyone else, wants a solid answer, I'll gladly share contact info of people at Porsche NA, who will give you straight answers on who is and isn't certified. There are many bodyshops who are in process of being certified not listed, as well as shops like us who refuse to kickback to the dealers who will not get listed on the site. An example of that might be...

Originally Posted by mdkrp View Post
Yikes! the closest PACC to me is in another state- San Diego.
Penske Collision in Scottsdale is probably an example of a perfectly capable shop who's not listed on the website. Or you can always ask us to send a flatbed.

The more you ask, the more questions arise.
Sam Zamir is offline  
Old 11-20-2015, 12:38 PM
  #39  
Sam Zamir
User
Thread Starter
 
Sam Zamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 49
Default

Been a long time, I wonder if anyone else has experienced a similar hit.
Sam Zamir is offline  
Old 11-20-2015, 12:43 PM
  #40  
mgflyfish
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 250
Default Great Post

Originally Posted by Sam Zamir View Post
Whats up everyone,
I thought this would help some Listers, A lot of people are left stranded looking for a trustworthy body shop to take their precious cars. I wanted to post this thread to show the damage that can be caused from a simple rear end impact.

A customer came in for "Just a bumper Job" (his words) with some minor damage to his rear bumper on his BRAND NEW 2013 Porsche 911 :bawling:

Let's take a look at this bumper job.
Here is what pulled up...
(Damage to the Right of License Plate)


This is going to be easy right?...

Step one is to remove the bumper and check for additional damage...
This is what we found.

Impact bar has been smashed in like a Pepsi can...

So we further remove the bar and heat shields etc...
after proper stripping we realized the frame had damage... :yikes:

This being an aluminum frame Porsche requires replacement, which requires removal of engine... Let the fun begin...

Once the engine was removed we further inspected the frame and found some of the welds were beginning to separate.

Once the insurance company came out to see the additional surprises they approved and we continued to remove and replace the frame
We put the car on our Frame machine made by CAR BENCH (which is the same frame machines that Porsche Prototypes their cars with) this ensures that the car is aligned to factory specs down to the Millimeter (we also have Celette Benches)!
With the car on Jigs and the old frame out of the way we installed the new frame. (hard to see because the frame comes black)

Here you can see the Betamate seeping thru(ultra high strength glue) That bonds the frame.


Now that the frame is back in place we had the motor put back in
Time for reassembly!!

Yes... we started it like this. Yes it was loud as ****!
Out with the old and In with the new!

All the new parts on the way in.
Once reassembled and tightened up, we send it to Porsche to have them clear all the codes, Align the wheels, and quality check. (Porsche dealer must do this to not void warranty) Once the car is back in our hands we send it thru our wash/detail department
Walked in on her in the shower...

And now look at that rear end!!!!!




A whole lot of work for "Just a bumper Job"

So Wherever you are located here's some tips to get a proper repair on your Porsche 991 or whatever you drive.

Check YELP wherever you are.
Make sure the shop is actually doing the work that is on the estimate :read:
Have good insurance (IF YOU WANT OEM PARTS, READ YOUR CONTRACT!!):read:

And for you lucky Listers that happen to be in Southern California - Los Angeles.
If ever you are in a situation where you need some body work feel free to contact me



We take pride in our yelp reviews (see them for yourself)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/collision-co...nt-los-angeles

http://www.collisionbodyshop.com/

We are a Porsche Approved Collision Center (one of only a few in the country), as well as "Mercedes Certified" "Audi Approved" and "BMW trained." So basically very Renn-friendly.

Feel Free to call or email me with any questions regarding repairs or if you need an estimate in Los Angeles.

Sam
Office: 310.280.6000
Cell: 310.745.9373 (Call/text)
[email protected]
Holy Bumper madness-Batman! Must a been a Rolls that nudged that bumper--
mgflyfish is offline  
Old 11-20-2015, 02:44 PM
  #41  
spaghettiab
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 51
Default

Sam - great post, awesome work :-). If the bumper was simply replaced without all the additional repair, do you believe a PPI would have indicated the extent of damage?
spaghettiab is offline  
Old 11-23-2015, 12:20 PM
  #42  
Sam Zamir
User
Thread Starter
 
Sam Zamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 49
Default

Originally Posted by spaghettiab View Post
Sam - great post, awesome work :-). If the bumper was simply replaced without all the additional repair, do you believe a PPI would have indicated the extent of damage?
Do you mean a pre purchase inspection? If you look at the 4th picture down, that's direct impact. The bumper covers that and you'd never see it (unless someone took the bumper off). The 6th picture down would be obscured by the engine. But that's what would cause a funny squeak in the chassis, off settings in alignment and potentially a major collapse in a second rear end accident (with the integrity already compromised).

So could you get away with selling the car? Yes. But you didn't buy a Porsche just to dump it after a small accident. You're probably in it for the long haul.
Sam Zamir is offline  
Old 11-23-2015, 02:50 PM
  #43  
fast1
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,493
Default

Originally Posted by Sam Zamir View Post
Do you mean a pre purchase inspection? If you look at the 4th picture down, that's direct impact. The bumper covers that and you'd never see it (unless someone took the bumper off). The 6th picture down would be obscured by the engine. But that's what would cause a funny squeak in the chassis, off settings in alignment and potentially a major collapse in a second rear end accident (with the integrity already compromised).

So could you get away with selling the car? Yes. But you didn't buy a Porsche just to dump it after a small accident. You're probably in it for the long haul.
Just one of the many reasons I never buy a used car. I understand for some that buying a used car is because of financial limitations, but with my luck I'd get a used car with some undetectable damage. So I'm willing to pay the premium.
fast1 is offline  
Old 11-23-2015, 02:55 PM
  #44  
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 19,711
Default

Originally Posted by fast1 View Post
Just one of the many reasons I never buy a used car. I understand for some that buying a used car is because of financial limitations, but with my luck I'd get a used car with some undetectable damage. So I'm willing to pay the premium.
That's a bit narrow-minded.
LexVan is online now  
Old 11-23-2015, 03:37 PM
  #45  
coreyco
User
 
coreyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 31
Default

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
That's a bit narrow-minded.
+1

Just a "bit narrow minded"?
I believe you are being too kind.
coreyco is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So you think it's just a bumper job, huh?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: