Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So you think it's just a bumper job, huh?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Zamir
And if you need any little touch ups and stuff, I'll take care of it for free while we chat.
That's class!!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:18 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the most informative post Sam! Learned a lot & happily your in my neck of the woods! While I hope we never have to meet, for an accident, its nice to know your shop is nearby.

I may take you up on your offer of touch up though! lol
Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam is truly a good guy!

I went to his shop for a small aesthetic mod on my 991. He treated me like I was spending thousands. He is also very generous with his knowledge...

I too am glad I live close and hopefully I never need him for anything else but elective stuff.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Here's a bumper (badge) job for you!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-PORSHCE.html

Old 05-25-2015, 11:53 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have an office in culver city... Saved your details just in case!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:30 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post. Kinda surprised at the amount of damage. I tried the Porsche link but was unable to find your shop anymore on the list. Unfortunitely there is no approved shop around me for 120 miles.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:50 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Search for PACC's here:
https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...x=0&submit.y=0

I realize it's not couth to post external links. But this is a link to the actual manufacturer (technically the importer - PCNA (Porsche Cars North America). Good luck!
Yikes! the closest PACC to me is in another state- San Diego.
Sam- thanks for the informative, although scary, post. Really reminds us that one has to look way under the covers.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelrosario
Thanks for the most informative post Sam! Learned a lot & happily your in my neck of the woods! While I hope we never have to meet, for an accident, its nice to know your shop is nearby.

I may take you up on your offer of touch up though! lol
Any time!

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Sam is truly a good guy!

I went to his shop for a small aesthetic mod on my 991. He treated me like I was spending thousands. He is also very generous with his knowledge...

I too am glad I live close and hopefully I never need him for anything else but elective stuff.
Big and small, we do it all.

Originally Posted by Powereng
Great post. Kinda surprised at the amount of damage. I tried the Porsche link but was unable to find your shop anymore on the list. Unfortunitely there is no approved shop around me for 120 miles.
There's a lot of politics to that site. If you or anyone else, wants a solid answer, I'll gladly share contact info of people at Porsche NA, who will give you straight answers on who is and isn't certified. There are many bodyshops who are in process of being certified not listed, as well as shops like us who refuse to kickback to the dealers who will not get listed on the site. An example of that might be...

Originally Posted by mdkrp
Yikes! the closest PACC to me is in another state- San Diego.
Penske Collision in Scottsdale is probably an example of a perfectly capable shop who's not listed on the website. Or you can always ask us to send a flatbed.

The more you ask, the more questions arise.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Been a long time, I wonder if anyone else has experienced a similar hit.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:43 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Post

Whats up everyone,
I thought this would help some Listers, A lot of people are left stranded looking for a trustworthy body shop to take their precious cars. I wanted to post this thread to show the damage that can be caused from a simple rear end impact.

A customer came in for "Just a bumper Job" (his words) with some minor damage to his rear bumper on his BRAND NEW 2013 Porsche 911 :bawling:

Let's take a look at this bumper job.
Here is what pulled up...
(Damage to the Right of License Plate)

This is going to be easy right?...

Step one is to remove the bumper and check for additional damage...
This is what we found.

Impact bar has been smashed in like a Pepsi can...

So we further remove the bar and heat shields etc...
after proper stripping we realized the frame had damage... :yikes:

This being an aluminum frame Porsche requires replacement, which requires removal of engine... Let the fun begin...

Once the engine was removed we further inspected the frame and found some of the welds were beginning to separate.

Once the insurance company came out to see the additional surprises they approved and we continued to remove and replace the frame
We put the car on our Frame machine made by CAR BENCH (which is the same frame machines that Porsche Prototypes their cars with) this ensures that the car is aligned to factory specs down to the Millimeter (we also have Celette Benches)!
With the car on Jigs and the old frame out of the way we installed the new frame. (hard to see because the frame comes black)

Here you can see the Betamate seeping thru(ultra high strength glue) That bonds the frame.

Now that the frame is back in place we had the motor put back in
Time for reassembly!!

Yes... we started it like this. Yes it was loud as ****!
Out with the old and In with the new!

All the new parts on the way in.
Once reassembled and tightened up, we send it to Porsche to have them clear all the codes, Align the wheels, and quality check. (Porsche dealer must do this to not void warranty) Once the car is back in our hands we send it thru our wash/detail department
Walked in on her in the shower...

And now look at that rear end!!!!!

A whole lot of work for "Just a bumper Job"

So Wherever you are located here's some tips to get a proper repair on your Porsche 991 or whatever you drive.

Check YELP wherever you are.
Make sure the shop is actually doing the work that is on the estimate :read:
Have good insurance (IF YOU WANT OEM PARTS, READ YOUR CONTRACT!!):read:

And for you lucky Listers that happen to be in Southern California - Los Angeles.
If ever you are in a situation where you need some body work feel free to contact me

We take pride in our yelp reviews (see them for yourself)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/collision-co...nt-los-angeles

http://www.collisionbodyshop.com/

We are a Porsche Approved Collision Center (one of only a few in the country), as well as "Mercedes Certified" "Audi Approved" and "BMW trained." So basically very Renn-friendly.

Feel Free to call or email me with any questions regarding repairs or if you need an estimate in Los Angeles.

Sam
Office: 310.280.6000
Cell: 310.745.9373 (Call/text)
sam@collisionbodyshop.com
Holy Bumper madness-Batman! Must a been a Rolls that nudged that bumper--
Old 11-20-2015, 02:44 PM
spaghettiab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam - great post, awesome work :-). If the bumper was simply replaced without all the additional repair, do you believe a PPI would have indicated the extent of damage?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Originally Posted by spaghettiab
Sam - great post, awesome work :-). If the bumper was simply replaced without all the additional repair, do you believe a PPI would have indicated the extent of damage?
Do you mean a pre purchase inspection? If you look at the 4th picture down, that's direct impact. The bumper covers that and you'd never see it (unless someone took the bumper off). The 6th picture down would be obscured by the engine. But that's what would cause a funny squeak in the chassis, off settings in alignment and potentially a major collapse in a second rear end accident (with the integrity already compromised).

So could you get away with selling the car? Yes. But you didn't buy a Porsche just to dump it after a small accident. You're probably in it for the long haul.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:50 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Do you mean a pre purchase inspection? If you look at the 4th picture down, that's direct impact. The bumper covers that and you'd never see it (unless someone took the bumper off). The 6th picture down would be obscured by the engine. But that's what would cause a funny squeak in the chassis, off settings in alignment and potentially a major collapse in a second rear end accident (with the integrity already compromised).

So could you get away with selling the car? Yes. But you didn't buy a Porsche just to dump it after a small accident. You're probably in it for the long haul.
Just one of the many reasons I never buy a used car. I understand for some that buying a used car is because of financial limitations, but with my luck I'd get a used car with some undetectable damage. So I'm willing to pay the premium.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Just one of the many reasons I never buy a used car. I understand for some that buying a used car is because of financial limitations, but with my luck I'd get a used car with some undetectable damage. So I'm willing to pay the premium.
That's a bit narrow-minded.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:37 PM
coreyco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
That's a bit narrow-minded.
+1

Just a "bit narrow minded"?
I believe you are being too kind.

Quick Reply: So you think it's just a bumper job, huh?