Sponsored by:

Pagid pads on the street

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Pagid pads on the street

I see a few people talking about using these pads on the track, but have not seen any reviews on how they are on the street. I burned up most of my rear pads on the 2 track days I did and need to replace them. I would like to go with the pagids, but would like to know how they do for street driving.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

They squeak like crazy on the street, but stop even better on the track. I'd suggest swapping if you're car is a DD. it only takes about 90 minutes once you figure out what you're dong.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Pagid race pads will squeal like crazy, and also generate a pretty good amount of brake dust. MayorAdamWest is right in saying that your best option is to swap pads. On the 991 it's a relatively easy process, just take off the wheel, take the caliper bolts off, and the pads just slide off/on.

That being said, you could look at the new Pagid S pads. They're designed for more street oriented use, but can be used for track days and club racing. I haven't personally tried them yet, so I can't say how good they are, but odds are they won't last as long as something like the RS29/RS19.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:14 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with these pads is that #1, you need to break them in as per the instructions. #2- they only squeak if they have not been to the track.

Let me explain further.

Once these pads have been used at the track, the speeds and braking requirements create the conditions to transfer a thin layer of material to the brake discs. Once that thin layer of material is on the discs, they do not squeak at all. This layer will last for a few months of street driving. When they start to squeak again, another trip to the track deposits a new layer on the discs.

And repeat.

They are VERY good brake pads. Wear the squeak as a badge of honor, you are now a track hound.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:53 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat
My experience with these pads is that #1, you need to break them in as per the instructions. #2- they only squeak if they have not been to the track.

Let me explain further.

Once these pads have been used at the track, the speeds and braking requirements create the conditions to transfer a thin layer of material to the brake discs. Once that thin layer of material is on the discs, they do not squeak at all. This layer will last for a few months of street driving. When they start to squeak again, another trip to the track deposits a new layer on the discs.

And repeat.

They are VERY good brake pads. Wear the squeak as a badge of honor, you are now a track hound.
This was not my experience. I properly bedded them, and while they were pretty quiet on the track (who notices anyway, when the car is at 6k RPM?), they are always pretty loud at low speeds. I've only had them on for a couple weeks, but they were on the track within the first 2 days I had them. (RS29's)
Old 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks guys! I think the best route is the track pad route. I do not plan on being at the track for another month or so, and I need to fix the rears now. So I'll put new stocks on the rear, and get the pagids in so I will be ready to change pre-track.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
This was not my experience. I properly bedded them, and while they were pretty quiet on the track (who notices anyway, when the car is at 6k RPM?), they are always pretty loud at low speeds. I've only had them on for a couple weeks, but they were on the track within the first 2 days I had them. (RS29's)
Same experience here. Quiet on the track, fairly loud on the street at low speeds. ... but I didn't swap them out back and forth.... even my wife got used to it.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Navy CDR
Intermediate

I have used Performance Friction brake pads for years. I am a track junkie and usually have around 20 track days per year (251 logged track days). I am currently using PF 06 pads. The front last one season, the back two seasons. I change front rotors once each year and the rears once every other year. Once the PF pads "bed" (new pads, new rotors) the squealing is significantly reduced. I never change out pads for the street.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:53 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I LOVE the PFC08s but they squeak like HELL on the street even after track usage.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
I LOVE the PFC08s but they squeak like HELL on the street even after track usage.
I thought PF pads for 991 are not available yet. Are you talking about running those on another car?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I thought PF pads for 991 are not available yet. Are you talking about running those on another car?
Yes, but in a similar 6 piston brembo caliper.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swap for track days - for me, about 2 weeks after the track event the squeaking becomes insane on track pads :-)
Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

I leave the yellows on for daily driving our cayman and they squeak less than the oem pads do after a track day. Plus the yellows last forever on the track where as the oem pads last 2-3 track days at most.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anybody had success with anti-squeal compound on the brake pads to help with the noise?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:29 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
Has anybody had success with anti-squeal compound on the brake pads to help with the noise?
Doesn't work.

Race pads are for the track and that is it. Driving around on the street on race pads is very noisy. Plus race pads need heat to grip and all the light street driving grinds away the layer transfer you get when tracking these pads. Just swap pads back and forth.

Quick Reply: Pagid pads on the street