Sponsored by:

Okay, what's going on with the PDK...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Since we are all PDK newbys, we have not been fully weaned from our previous MT 911s. Could it be that we do not appreciate that the PDK-delay may be equivalent to the time it takes to depress the accelerator and engage the clutch from a dead stop?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never had this hesitation problem either before or after the PDK software update. After the update the car shifts faster and sharper (up and down) whether in normal, Sport or Sport+ modes. Perhaps no hesitation due to fact car has X51 engine?
Old 07-30-2016, 11:59 AM
tahiles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the 991 PDK has a problem (on some cars).

I drove a 2014 991 S PDK, Sport Chrono yesterday.

Had a SIGNIFICANT hesitation off the line. How do I know?

I have an 09 Boxster S PDK, Sport Chrono + that comes off the line MUCH better than the 991 does. Got the Boxster out today and when nailed it just GOES!

The 991 is a beautiful car and I REALLY wanted to like it but the hesitation is a deal breaker for me. With an additional 85 HP I was expecting a performance upgrade, certainly not a downgrade.

Also the "piped in" engine noise seems to me would be tiring on a long trip. My Boxster with the ragtop is less obnoxious to listen to road noise....

So for me, the 991 is a no-go..... at least the one I looked at. Until Porsche admits they have a problem and fixes it....
Old 07-30-2016, 12:11 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tahiles
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the 991 PDK has a problem (on some cars).

I drove a 2014 991 S PDK, Sport Chrono yesterday.

Had a SIGNIFICANT hesitation off the line. How do I know?

I have an 09 Boxster S PDK, Sport Chrono + that comes off the line MUCH better than the 991 does. Got the Boxster out today and when nailed it just GOES!

The 991 is a beautiful car and I REALLY wanted to like it but the hesitation is a deal breaker for me. With an additional 85 HP I was expecting a performance upgrade, certainly not a downgrade.
Also the "piped in" engine noise seems to me would be tiring on a long trip. My Boxster with the ragtop is less obnoxious to listen to road noise....

So for me, the 991 is a no-go..... at least the one I looked at. Until Porsche admits they have a problem and fixes it....
It seems that some cars have the hesitation, and most don't. Porsche doesn't admit there's an issue. I would pass on that car and keep looking.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:08 PM
tahiles
Track Day

Yeah...kind of the way it's looking to me.....

Either the car is "born" with the issue or it's not....

Really a shame... $100K + car and Porsche won't admit there's a problem... That's really a shi77y to treat their loyal followers.....
Old 07-30-2016, 02:04 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

"The machines are beginning to rise up."

Anyone noticed whether the surrounding sidewalks are filled with roaming Pokemon players when the hesitation occurs?
Old 07-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I wonder if the inclinometer that's used for the hill holder is also used for the clutch-engagement algorithm in the PDK firmware. The symptoms people mention are reminiscent of what PDK normally does when you're taking off uphill. You step on the gas and the revs come up, but the car doesn't move until they stabilize at a particular point on the tach. The effect could easily be described as "hesitation" if it occurred on level ground.

I'm sure PIWIS can read the inclinometer, but it probably wouldn't have occurred to any techs to check it in response to a hesitation complaint. I wonder if Durametric can?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The effect could easily be described as "hesitation" if it occurred on level ground.
Fascinating theory.

I've been following the PDK hesitation threads. So far neither PDK in the stable has hesitation. On the other hand, the DSG Audi acts like an old-school automatic that's shy 3 quarts of a full ATF load.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:18 PM
tahiles
Track Day

Originally Posted by mtony
I would pass on that car and keep looking.
Just what I did. Drove to Porsche of Tysons Corner yesterday and picked up a CPO 2014 C2S that drives PERFECTLY. Just over 9000 miles on the odometer.

Sapphire Blue, PDK, PDLS, Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono, Glass Sunroof, Sport Design Steering Wheel, Vehicle Key Painted, 14 Way Power Seats, Premium Package, Bose, Sport Techno 20" wheels...AND.... Sport Design Package....

Love the Duck Bill rear and the revised front spoiler of the Design Package. Not sure I'd pay $5000 for them but I'm sure glad the PO did.

Got all this for about 2K less than the local one that had less equipment AND the hesitation the delaer "knew nothing about"....

I don't have ANY love for my local dealer.....their service department is GREAT but that's it....
Old 07-31-2016, 05:48 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

No pics: no car
Old 07-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by tahiles
Just what I did. Drove to Porsche of Tysons Corner yesterday and picked up a CPO 2014 C2S that drives PERFECTLY. Just over 9000 miles on the odometer.

Sapphire Blue, PDK, PDLS, Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono, Glass Sunroof, Sport Design Steering Wheel, Vehicle Key Painted, 14 Way Power Seats, Premium Package, Bose, Sport Techno 20" wheels...AND.... Sport Design Package....

Love the Duck Bill rear and the revised front spoiler of the Design Package. Not sure I'd pay $5000 for them but I'm sure glad the PO did.

Got all this for about 2K less than the local one that had less equipment AND the hesitation the delaer "knew nothing about"....

I don't have ANY love for my local dealer.....their service department is GREAT but that's it....
I saw that one online. Beautiful car! Congrats!!!
Old 07-31-2016, 06:44 PM
tahiles
Track Day

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I saw that one online. Beautiful car! Congrats!!!
Thanks!

I wasn't real sure about the color until I saw it in person. Gives a really nice contrast between the Sapphire Blue and the red rotors.

My last three were Ruby Pearl, Speed Yellow and Arena Red. Nice colors but the two shades of red clashed with S rotors. The Speed Yellow didn't but I thought I'd NEVER sell that car. Takes a special person to drive Speed Yellow I guess?
Old 12-22-2020, 07:19 PM
mobeoner
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

i experienced a similar thing, i found this on youtube and tried it.

Quick Reply: Okay, what's going on with the PDK...