Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Okay, what's going on with the PDK... (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/759705-okay-whats-going-on-with-the-pdk.html)

Cogito_Ergo_Zoom 06-04-2013 01:56 AM

Okay, what's going on with the PDK...

Since the reprogram. I'm not trying to be one of those internet alarmists but I swear the update has definitely changed the way the PDK is behaving in 1st and 2nd gear in normal mode.

Theres a dead spot in 2nd that feels like the power is being momentarily cut when say for example you're doing a slow roll out of a parking lot and get into the gas as you begin to accelerate. It's like it can't make up its mind to stay in 2nd or downshift to 1st so it sits there confused for a second.

Haven't noticed any changes in Sport or Sport+, but there's definitely something different about normal.

Anyone else experiencing this or is my imagination overactive?

John's 991 06-04-2013 03:36 AM

I noticed the shift into 2nd felt more harsh and was going to focus on it more tomorrow.

SanibelSpeed 06-04-2013 10:53 AM

Cogito, I can't help re the PDK but must tell you that you have the coolest username EVER.

kosmo 06-04-2013 11:29 AM

should have gotten a stick! :)

im ALWAYS felt this about it in NORMAL mode hence I mainly drive in Sport mode.

mtony 06-04-2013 12:17 PM

Oh no!. I just left my car at the dealership because of hesitation between 2500 and 3000 RPM under load and they are going to reprogram the PDK due to a service bulletin.

MayorAdamWest 06-04-2013 12:18 PM

I just got a bunch of updates, and I'm a little annoyed. In Sport and Sport+, when in manual shift mode, it automatically short shifts itself from 2nd to 3rd. It's really frustrating. I've put it in to manual mode because I want to shift. :banghead:

Cogito_Ergo_Zoom 06-04-2013 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed (Post 10512421)
Cogito, I can't help re the PDK but must tell you that you have the coolest username EVER.

:cheers:

Originally Posted by kosmo (Post 10512531)
should have gotten a stick! :)

Didn't feel this way before, but I was thinking that last night when it did it for the umpteenth time pulling out onto the street into traffic...

I actually haven't been using Sport much before. I kept it in normal for poking around town (easier to avoid tickets) and switch it to Sport+ when it's rompin stompin time.

Originally Posted by mtony (Post 10512662)
Oh no!. I just left my car at the dealership because of hesitation between 2500 and 3000 RPM under load and they are going to reprogram the PDK due to a service bulletin.

That's what I'm talking about and the same service bulletin reprogram seems to have exaggerated it on mine, not fixed it. I never noticed it before.

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest (Post 10512667)
I just got a bunch of updates, and I'm a little annoyed. In Sport and Sport+, when in manual shift mode, it automatically short shifts itself from 2nd to 3rd. It's really frustrating. I've put it in to manual mode because I want to shift. :banghead:

I was perfectly happy with the behavior of the PDK in ALL modes before. I think I remember a tech replying in another thread with exactly what the service bulletin addressed. I need to go back and find that post.

chuckbdc 06-04-2013 02:07 PM

I had the update and can detect no difference from what I had with prior updates or when new (April 2012).

Cogito_Ergo_Zoom 06-04-2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbdc (Post 10512962)
I had the update and can detect no difference from what I had with prior updates or when new (April 2012).

Thanks..I'm not saying it's the PDK reprogram itself that's responsible, I'm just saying I never noticed it before the update was done. Again, not trying to fuel rampant internet misinformation. It very well could be an issue with a related sensor like a faulty throttle position sensor, for example. It just seems to be correlated with the update in my case.

I thought I remembered someone else saying they had experienced a similar issue, but mine has never been as extreme as the 3 secs. they described: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=119246

TSmith84 describes the PDK bulletin in this post: https://rennlist.com/forums/10447712-post4.html

mtony 06-05-2013 12:10 PM

Well, I can confirm that the PDK software update did not help the hesitation in manual mode I feel when gently accelerating through the 2500-3000 RPM range. I haven't really noticed any difference after the upgrade, but I always drive in manual mode.

mrstep 06-05-2013 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom (Post 10512947)
Didn't feel this way before, but I was thinking that last night when it did it for the umpteenth time pulling out onto the street into traffic...

I love my MT, but instead of the computer screwing up the shifting for you on the PDK (in this pulling out scenario) you might have the computer engage the friggin' hill-hold parking brake for no good reason instead. Seemingly the engineers at Porsche have both transmission types covered. ;)

porshanut 06-05-2013 02:39 PM

Had the update done when I had PSE installed and notice no difference. I drive in sport mode all the time and manual about 75% of the time.

Cogito_Ergo_Zoom 06-05-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrstep (Post 10516088)
I love my MT, but instead of the computer screwing up the shifting for you on the PDK (in this pulling out scenario) you might have the computer engage the friggin' hill-hold parking brake for no good reason instead. Seemingly the engineers at Porsche have both transmission types covered. ;)

haha...nice.

duxsi 06-05-2013 04:09 PM

News flash folks - The dreaded hesitation between 2500-3000 rpm ALSO happens with MT's.
This is not a PDK issue.

Nicoli35 06-05-2013 04:50 PM

Is this hesitation with the engine and oil good and warmed up or when things are cold?