Sponsored by:

Okay, what's going on with the PDK...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
I made a special point of trying to get a hesitation in the starts that you describe. Nothing. Smooth from start, and when it shifted to second, I slowed way down to a crawl, then either quickly or slowly accelerated and well . . . nothing but smooth acceleration.

I do feel the lack of torque at those low revs/speeds, feels relatively gutless, but no hesitation.

Mine is a May 14/12 build, 991S with S Chrono, S-PASM, PDK, 10k km. No updates.
Originally Posted by Hothonda
No stuttering issues, no updates either.....works as advertised. 2013 S model...late 2012 build. SPASM,PDK, Sport Chrono, 5K miles
Thanks guys.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
No stuttering issues, no updates either.....works as advertised. 2013 S model...late 2012 build. SPASM,PDK, Sport Chrono, 5K miles
Dude, thats my car!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Auto mode in Normal is the issue. Everything seems fine in Sport and Sport+. Typical "slam it home" behavior in manual mode in either setting.

The issue I'm seeing is a hesitation or stumble when rolling off slow, usually in 2nd gear, in Normal mode in full auto under light or partial throttle applications. It almost feels like the clutch is disengaging for a second then reengaging, like it's going to downshift to first but then re-engages and continues in 2nd.

My workaround has just been putting it in Sport.
I had my first experience of PDK hesitation last week. Car was standing still, in normal and manual mode. I was trying to get on the freeway ramp, so I need to pass the car on my right after green light. Almost full throttle after green light but it seems that car took a long time to engage clutch and starts to accelerate. I know it’s not just in my mind because the car to my right knows I want to pass him so he did a full throttle launch too, and he was one car length ahead of me before mine starts moving. I was able to overtake him due to superior power, but still a surprise.

I have never experienced this delay before since I got the car last April. Maybe it’s the combination of manual + normal mode. Perhaps the solution is your workaround, always in sports mode.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:56 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

Anyone consider PSM as a contributing factor?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by rnl
Anyone consider PSM as a contributing factor?
PSM is annoyingly alert in normal mode, but this is definitely not PSM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM
DKC64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Car was standing still, in normal and manual mode. I was trying to get on the freeway ramp, so I need to pass the car on my right after green light. Almost full throttle after green light but it seems that car took a long time to engage clutch and starts to accelerate.
Is the hesitation we're talking about from stand still or from slow rolling?

I find the PDK hesitate EVERY time I pull off from standing still, like at every red light. When the light turns green, I step on the throttle. The engine goes louder and the car rolls forward very slowly, then after 0.5-1 second, the car really pulls forward quickly. This is very annoying as it increases the gap I need to come out of junctions.

This is in every mode - normal, sport, sport plus. All the same. PDK in manual or auto mode also the same.

Anyone else notices this?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DKC64
Standing still. I was stopped at a red light.

I will check to see if there’s a similar hesitation in the Sports mode from a standing start.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by hlee1169
I had my first experience of PDK hesitation last week. Car was standing still, in normal and manual mode. I was trying to get on the freeway ramp, so I need to pass the car on my right after green light. Almost full throttle after green light but it seems that car took a long time to engage clutch and starts to accelerate. I know it’s not just in my mind because the car to my right knows I want to pass him so he did a full throttle launch too, and he was one car length ahead of me before mine starts moving. I was able to overtake him due to superior power, but still a surprise.

I have never experienced this delay before since I got the car last April. Maybe it’s the combination of manual + normal mode. Perhaps the solution is your workaround, always in sports mode.
Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by DKC64

I find the PDK hesitate EVERY time I pull off from standing still, like at every red light. When the light turns green, I step on the throttle. The engine goes louder and the car rolls forward very slowly, then after 0.5-1 second, the car really pulls forward quickly. This is very annoying as it increases the gap I need to come out of junctions.

This is in every mode - normal, sport, sport plus. All the same. PDK in manual or auto mode also the same.

Anyone else notices this?
It's the price you pay for not having a torque converter, isn't it? You wouldn't be any faster in a manual unless you revved the engine in anticipation of the green light.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I just had my 10K service done for a really reasonable $325. I can 't tell a bit of difference. I never drive in normal mode...I call it Buick mode. I think it is the best car on the planet, but I miss my 993tt terribly.
Where did you go for that price?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Where did you go for that price?
i agree.........where
Old 07-07-2013, 03:31 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
PDK changing?

The machines are beginning to rise up.

I saw this entire thing in a movie once.
You nailed it.

Haven't experienced any of the issues described here except the general feeling the machines are on the ascent.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:39 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
I love my MT, but instead of the computer screwing up the shifting for you on the PDK (in this pulling out scenario) you might have the computer engage the friggin' hill-hold parking brake for no good reason instead. Seemingly the engineers at Porsche have both transmission types covered.
Haha, the first time the hill-hold brake on my 991 base MT kicked in automatically, it freaked me out. I quickly learned to like it, but I wasn't ready for it at first.

I have thought about bumping up to a C2S or C4S with PDK but this thread and the other PDK hesitation thread have me....well, hesitating. I'm trying to join the new (automatic) generation, but just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in (or in this case, push me back in).
Old 08-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I think a lot of the hesitation issue here is overdone. When stopped and begin to accelerate it would be expected for the PDK to have a hesitation when compared to Stick. The reason being that with stick you can get the revs up (1500 rpm or more) and then drop the clutch. PDk drops the clutch at less than 1000rpm, engine losses some torque and then move up the rpm band. I think that it is expected to feel a lag under these conditions. If you were driving in 3rd gear at 50mph, floored it , and the car hesitated (like my wifes BMW does) then you have a problem.
Ask yourself this, does it hesitate with launch control? Launch control tries to replicate a stick shift car, where you can get the revs up and then drop the clutch.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf
I think a lot of the hesitation issue here is overdone.
Maybe so but it sure doesn't feel that way when you are trying to pull out into a gap in traffic. You are a the mercy of PDK. It may give you immediate response, it may not. It can be unnerving if you live in an area where this situation occurs fairly routinely.

Quick Reply: Okay, what's going on with the PDK...