Sponsored by:

Okay, what's going on with the PDK...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:53 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Is this hesitation with the engine and oil good and warmed up or when things are cold?
Both, but slightly worse when cold.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:36 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the camp of those who have not noticed any difference after my car was updated.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
Both, but slightly worse when cold.
+1
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my 10K service done for a really reasonable $325. I can 't tell a bit of difference. I never drive in normal mode...I call it Buick mode. I think it is the best car on the planet, but I miss my 993tt terribly.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Is this hesitation with the engine and oil good and warmed up or when things are cold?
It tends to do it when the car is first started and driven, but it's also done it hot, too.

With the temps we're getting in Texas right now, I'm starting the car at an ambient 80F+, so cold is a relative term. It doesn't take long to get oil and coolant to temp. I got the car Jan 1st and it wasn't doing this in very cold (well, by Texas standards) winter temps.

Again, I'm not saying the verdict is the PDK flash, but it's the only real thing that's been changed on the car since I've had it.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe a video would help, I dunno. I kinda mash my throttle and haven't had anything stand out to me. My issue lately would probably be a "cough" or "burp" I get when putting her in first, for the first time of the day (not after)..she lets out a little burp in the mornings and then its vrrroooom!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:00 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
It tends to do it when the car is first started and driven, but it's also done it hot, too.....
Mine manually shifts a noticeable bit more slowly when the car is just started (no matter what the outside or engine temp), than it does after a running for a few minutes- e.g., by the second time I shift it. By then it "pops" shifts off like an imitation Cup car in Sport + and Sport and just fast in the "economy" setting.

It has done that since I got it, several PDK flashes ago- so I don't think they have had any effect. Perhaps it is the PDK lube coming up to operating temp fast?

This is totally not noticeable in any of the auto settings.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:19 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Mine manually shifts a noticeable bit more slowly when the car is just started (no matter what the outside or engine temp), than it does after a running for a few minutes- e.g., by the second time I shift it. By then it "pops" shifts off like an imitation Cup car in Sport + and Sport and just fast in the "economy" setting.

It has done that since I got it, several PDK flashes ago- so I don't think they have had any effect. Perhaps it is the PDK lube coming up to operating temp fast?

So does mine and every other 991, in auto or manual. That is to let the car warm up to operating temp before unleashing the hounds!

Even when warm, it still shifts slower putzing around than when driving aggressively. But the warm slow is still faster than the cold slow. That is the annoying Buick mode!

Haven't had any updates since delivery last June. That will be corrected soon enough though.

It would be a sweet update if we could get the rack, PDCC, PASM, PDK all up to GT3 specs! Any hackers out there?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:15 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
So does mine and every other 991, in auto or manual. That is to let the car warm up to operating temp before unleashing the hounds!

Even when warm, it still shifts slower putzing around than when driving aggressively. But the warm slow is still faster than the cold slow. That is the annoying Buick mode!

Haven't had any updates since delivery last June. That will be corrected soon enough though.

It would be a sweet update if we could get the rack, PDCC, PASM, PDK all up to GT3 specs! Any hackers out there?
It would be sweet if the steering forces could be made variable by the driver, and the manual shifting action be made to work like the GT3. But I believe that there is no PDCC in the GT3 at present or planned, and there are different physical parts in its PDK.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PDK changing?

The machines are beginning to rise up.

I saw this entire thing in a movie once.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
PDK changing?

The machines are beginning to rise up.

I saw this entire thing in a movie once.
Something like this might be useful.

"Mr Smith, the onboard computer is not allowing an upshift due to the the GPS system detecting a Police vehicle in very close proximity."

or one with attitude.

"Dude, I'm feeling gnarly this morning, lets do some GT3 shifts!"
Old 06-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
This is what I'm praying for. I'd be happy with just getting the steering updates. I'm perfectly fine with the behavior of the PDK in Sport + mode. Full stiff mode in SPASM is fine for me.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc

Auto mode in Normal is the issue. Everything seems fine in Sport and Sport+. Typical "slam it home" behavior in manual mode in either setting.

The issue I'm seeing is a hesitation or stumble when rolling off slow, usually in 2nd gear, in Normal mode in full auto under light or partial throttle applications. It almost feels like the clutch is disengaging for a second then reengaging, like it's going to downshift to first but then re-engages and continues in 2nd.

My workaround has just been putting it in Sport.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:59 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Auto mode in Normal is the issue. Everything seems fine in Sport and Sport+. Typical "slam it home" behavior in manual mode in either setting.

The issue I'm seeing is a hesitation or stumble when rolling off slow, usually in 2nd gear, in Normal mode in full auto under light or partial throttle applications. It almost feels like the clutch is disengaging for a second then reengaging, like it's going to downshift to first but then re-engages and continues in 2nd.

My workaround has just been putting it in Sport.
I made a special point of trying to get a hesitation in the starts that you describe. Nothing. Smooth from start, and when it shifted to second, I slowed way down to a crawl, then either quickly or slowly accelerated and well . . . nothing but smooth acceleration.

I do feel the lack of torque at those low revs/speeds, feels relatively gutless, but no hesitation.

Mine is a May 14/12 build, 991S with S Chrono, S-PASM, PDK, 10k km. No updates.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

No stuttering issues, no updates either.....works as advertised. 2013 S model...late 2012 build. SPASM,PDK, Sport Chrono, 5K miles

Quick Reply: Okay, what's going on with the PDK...