Sponsored by:

Mounting front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
I mounted mine like this, much cleaner, had it professionally bent, then attached.
Looks nice. Not sure how some of the local gendarmes would look upon that though.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Looks nice. Not sure how some of the local gendarmes would look upon that though.
They ain't gonna like it.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Dtlee
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went with us millworks on the 958. Easy install, looks great. I can pull it off anytime by removing two clips. A bit on the expensive side though...paid 136 but better than drilling.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:11 AM
hjles
Instructor

I purchased the Skene design bracket but haven't put it on the car yet.

I live in NY, but I've decided to run without it until I get pulled over a couple times.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 PM
jsr991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I mounted mine like this, much cleaner, had it professionally bent, then attached.
I like it..... is this acceptable in Ontario?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm in NYC. First I went without a plate but got hassled by tunnel cops, and eventually got a ticket from a meter maid when I forgot to put the plate in my windshield.
I first went for the Millworks but after awhile got tired of the off-center look.
Finally purchased the Skene Design. I like it best of all because it's centered, but I am able to position it lower than an OEM Porsche bracket. My only gripe are the self tapping screws: 6 months after install I had to tighten the screws again or would have risked losing the bracket. By the way, the smoke plastic cover does a lot to make the plate less 'conspicuous'
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2014, 02:31 AM
Raddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by 97c2s993
I'm in NYC. First I went without a plate but got hassled by tunnel cops, and eventually got a ticket from a meter maid when I forgot to put the plate in my windshield.
I first went for the Millworks but after awhile got tired of the off-center look.
Finally purchased the Skene Design. I like it best of all because it's centered, but I am able to position it lower than an OEM Porsche bracket. My only gripe are the self tapping screws: 6 months after install I had to tighten the screws again or would have risked losing the bracket. By the way, the smoke plastic cover does a lot to make the plate less 'conspicuous'
Off topic but - I'm in Manhattan too, are you in like an Icon garage or something? I only keep a daily driver lexus in the city with bumpshox and my porsches are stored outside the city. How do you find parking it in NYC?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:05 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rhyde
For those who feel police will tell you to get back in the car when you are pulled over, keep your registration and proof of insurance in the front trunk. They you have to get out of the car to obtain them.
That is exactly what I will do, thanks!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I know, it's an old post and no one will likely read this. Having said that, Porsche is not a company known for leaving low hanging fruit . That is, if there is a profit to be had somewhere they will figure it out. So, I wonder why they have not added a $500 hidden front license plate mount option. Seems like it would be easy to do at the factory level and, speaking only for myself, plunking down $5,500 for a PTS, $500 would be worth it not to have to drill holes in the paint. Eh, now that I've said it I wonder if it will pop up as an option in a few years. (I whined for years about how it would be simple and cheap to offer a key chassis in the same color as the car and, lo and behold, Porsche finally offered it - for several hundred dollars!!!)
Old 11-10-2014, 09:07 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

US Millworks is a quality solution. I could care less if it's centered. Once it's on, I don't notice it or pay any attention to it. It's so not worth inviting a cop over to your car for a nice interaction, so it's a must have in NJ. Since I have to have it, I could care less that it's there. It doesn't ruin the looks of the car.

I thought the Skene was cheesy, I wasn't going to drill any holes, even if they are where you can't see them.

I don't understand the reluctance to mount a front plate in states where it pretty much ensures a hassle if you don't. Nor do I get the concern over it being centered. It's a license plate, who cares?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:27 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I used the Skene plate bracket on my '10 C4S and it mounts perfectly in the low center vent opening and looks pretty nice considering it is a flat piece of metal. I was so impressed with the bracket I bought another for my '14 Ford Fusion Energi and mounted that plate nice and low w/o any holes on the buyer face too.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:51 AM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

This is not a bad temporary way to clear a ticket. I am not sure it is secure enough to use at high speed. The factory frame has a flat lip on the bottom. Drill a small hole in each end. You can then put two self tapping screws vertically into the nose plastic to secure the plate. The holes will not show when the plate is off the car. I used this to clear a "fix-it" ticket. 50 years in Northern CA and only one ticket(for no front plate).
Old 11-25-2014, 12:29 PM
gusp
Instructor

That's awesome.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:05 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
I keep my front plate wrapped in clear plastic and tucked in between my passenger seat and console. When I park on-street in urban areas, I put it inside my windshield. I suppose if i get pulled over for some reason, I can quickly place it on the dash - not sure if that will satisfy anyone, but maybe I'll get some credit for having the plate with me?
License plate location requirements vary by State, but in MD you must have the plate mounted on the bumper. I haven't had a front plate on my Porsche front bumper since 2007, and I have only been cited one time by a MD State Trooper. I believe that it was a $60 fine. Fortunately most cops ignore the inane law, but if the State gets into a budget crunch, be careful.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:17 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
License plate location requirements vary by State, but in MD you must have the plate mounted on the bumper. I haven't had a front plate on my Porsche front bumper since 2007, and I have only been cited one time by a MD State Trooper. I believe that it was a $60 fine. Fortunately most cops ignore the inane law, but if the State gets into a budget crunch, be careful.
Have not had front plates on our sports cars for over 40 years and never had a ticket specifically for that. T

Quick Reply: Mounting front license plate