Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WSJ article...Is Porsche still a sports car maker?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:50 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pt767
The Macan will be based on the Audi Q5 platform. My wife wants one as well. I would bet that this will be the best selling Porsche.
While I believe in brand exclusivity, and keeping the entry point close to $60K (base Cayenne and Boxster with a few options), the Macan will sell really well. It provides a nice entry point into the Porsche brand for Soccer moms, real estate agents, and upwardly mobile single women who currently drive BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc. Compared to those brands, Porsche is more exclusive and more prestigious. The problem for Porsche is that they dilute that prestige and exclusivity when they go down market.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

The Macan will sell like hot cakes. If you think otherwise take a look at the competition, what they offer, and then factor in that this one says porsche on it.

I would love to see porsche throw in the towel on the cayman/911 debate and offer engine of choice to the buyer.

Porsche is not perfect but they still make a damn good sports car and that all that matters to me. I am younger and do not know who won lemans in 19xx or what he was driving. Do I enjoy formula one? sure. lemans even? Sure. I don't however spend much time watching unless I happen to catch it on TV by chance.

I buy because I have always been a car nut and everyone knows porsche makes a damn good sports car. One test drive and my childhood dreams and thoughts were instantly confirmed. The car made me smile so hard it was euphoric. I remember my friend asking how was the test drive?, my response "the closest thing to a religious experience I will ever have!" That pretty much says it all.

Quick Reply: WSJ article...Is Porsche still a sports car maker?