Sponsored by:

991s first track event

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 AM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
My guess about the spoiler is that you are going to have so much to think about, and so much fun, that it won't matter. .
Just got back from two days at Watkins Glen, it never entered my mind. Waaaayyyyyy to much fun!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 05-22-2013, 10:39 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Jenk12m, your avatar is turn two at the Glen? I got my solo sign off Tuesday, and my first session I was first on the track. So my first track solo was with a totally open Watkins Glen track at my disposal! First lap was one of my top ten life moments!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you had a blast. It's my favorite track and its 16hrs from me but I will go back in a heartbeat
Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Have fun, I'm a member there and actually got to drive another members 991s with aerokit. I'm a big fan of a manual and this was my 1st time driving the new pdk. I have to admit I was really impressed and I was only 1.5 second off my fastest lap in my RS. My buddies car was stock everything and I only did 3 laps
Impressed? Tell me more...
Old 05-23-2013, 01:31 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim K, lol, yes, talking about the spoiler only! Not sure how I missed that.

As was stated the down force doubles relative to the increase in speed, so lets say its good for 80 pounds at 80mph. If I am going into a corner at 80mph, decelerate to 70 and the wing goes down I now have zero down force instead of about 60 pounds at a time when I likely want whatever I can get.

Now are there a lot of corners exactly like this, and is the difference between no down force and 60 pounds (assuming that is even close to what it generates) going to make a big difference in how much speed I can carry right there? Probably not. However, by leaving the wing up, I have whatever down force is available and there is no sudden, artificial decrease due to the spoiler retracting when I might want whatever help it could provide.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Doesn't the spoiler retract at 50 mph - probably less of a factor then you think, would save some wear though.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991

As was stated the down force doubles relative to the increase in speed, so lets say its good for 80 pounds at 80mph. If I am going into a corner at 80mph, decelerate to 70 and the wing goes down I now have zero down force instead of about 60 pounds at a time when I likely want whatever I can get.

Now are there a lot of corners exactly like this, and is the difference between no down force and 60 pounds (assuming that is even close to what it generates) going to make a big difference in how much speed I can carry right there? Probably not. However, by leaving the wing up, I have whatever down force is available and there is no sudden, artificial decrease due to the spoiler retracting when I might want whatever help it could provide.
You are of course quite correct, no matter how negligible the actual physical effect on the car's cornering capability. I would guess that would be, at 70-80, mostly a function of tire loadings (tire characteristics, especially tread depth, pressure and control, momentary contact patch given suspension movements, shifting lateral loadings, etc). If you keep the car dirty rather than polishing it before hand you might slow down such transients.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

You are of course quite correct, no matter how small the actual physical effect on the car's cornering capability. I would guess that would be, at 70-80, mostly a function of tire loadings (tire characteristics, especially tread depth, pressure and control, momentary contact patch given suspension movements, shifting lateral loadings, etc). If you keep the car dirty rather than polishing it before hand you might slow down the resulting transients.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

I always thought it was primarily for cooling, not downforce. Not sure about the 991s but certainly on the 981s I can't imagine the spoiler support linkage being able to transmit much force.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:48 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I always thought it was primarily for cooling, not downforce. Not sure about the 991s but certainly on the 981s I can't imagine the spoiler support linkage being able to transmit much force.
The spoilers purpose is to, get ready, spoil. It moves the flow of air up and off of the rear of car, reducing lift and drag. Wings (inverted) generate downforce.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuckbdc, maybe I should just get a ball peen hammer and dimple it like a golf ball! ;-)

But I am now curious how much downforce is actually generated. Not even sure how to find out. Can't imagine the local dealer would have any idea. At least not mine...
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Chuckbdc, maybe I should just get a ball peen hammer and dimple it like a golf ball! ;-)

But I am now curious how much downforce is actually generated. Not even sure how to find out. Can't imagine the local dealer would have any idea. At least not mine...
No no, don't do that unless you plan on spinning down the main straight!!

Better, take a look at:

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=z_wgbrTc8tU

I could not find it, but somewhere on the web or at Porsche.com there is information about the amount of lift reduction with the standard front spoiler/rear spoiler and downforce with the Sport PASM front spoiler/rear extended spoiler settings.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

chuckj posted the following on 6speedonline on 4/40/12:

"I found some interesting technical data in the Porsche Service Information Technical Manual that I thought some might be interested in:
1. The 991C2S has ¼ sq. feet less drag than the 997C2S at ~6.25’.
2. The 991C2S has the same drag as the 997 C2 (~6.5’). Smaller wheels perhaps?
3. The PASM Sports chassis (-20mm) for the first time has zero total lift on the car and perhaps more importantly slight lift on the front (.02*) and rear (-.02*). The 997C2S has .05 and .02 respectively with a total lift of .07. Hopefully the track guys will confirm that this helps them in high speed corners.

ChuckJ
* Assume this is in KG as it was not marked"
Old 05-23-2013, 10:51 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Found it:
http://press.porsche.com/vehicles/12...oduct_Info.pdf

see:

"The rear spoiler extends to different heights and at different angles depending upon vehicle speed. It also features a flow element on its leading edge. The element is controlled by a special pivoting kinetic mechanism to assure optimal airflow over the spoiler blade. As a result, downforce approaching 200 pounds can be applied to the rear of the vehicle at maximum speed when equipped with the optional 20 mm lower Sports Suspension."

(note to parkerfe: you ain't gonna get anywhere near maximum speed at the Glen, just faster than you think you should be going just before right handers after the pit straight and a couple other places)

Quick Reply: 991s first track event