Sponsored by:

Hold function on a MT 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
What all you guys are missing is the fact that Porsche had to create a function for MT cars that would force all you dinosaurs that still like MT to get PDK.
I don't notice it in my 991 pdk but it is very annoying in my Cayenne diesel and totally unnecessary. Who needs hill assist in a regular slush-box automatic but it has it. My garage is on a slight incline to get into it. I do a short 2 point turn, back up to go straight in and the damn hill assist is on- I have to give it more throttle than normal to get out of the assist and it jerks a bit before going in. Very annoying and not necessary. Should be a button to disable it.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:20 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
I have to give it more throttle than normal to get out of the assist and it jerks a bit before going in.
The problem with applying more throttle with the manual is that you will smell clutch if you don't lift the pedal quicker than usual. Someone at Porsche should be hung by their thumbs for this ridiculous nanny.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as so many other options that Porsche and Ferrari added over the years, they are trying to bring more people into the buyers pool. For example, the introduction of F-1 transmission into street cars for Ferrari made it possible for many people to buy the car and not be put off with a manual transmission. I know that the F-1 and the PDK, et al. actually make the cars faster but it really has allowed Ferrari and Porsche to sell more cars to more people. Old gearheads don't need hill assist. We could balance the car on almost any grade with clutch-throttle "dancing" without any difficulty.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:44 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you're all over-reacting. Hill Hold has been coming on most manual transmission cars for quite some time, almost every one I've bought over the last six years of so has had it. Porsche's is the best so far if you let it do its intended job. Simply take your foot off the brake, start releasing the clutch as you give it a bit of gas, and you pull away smoothly as the brake releases itself. Doesn't seem to be on a timer, seems to release when it feels forward motion. If you're stalling, it's because you're either not giving it any gas, or you're trying to "beat" the system with too quick of a launch.
I've been driving 30+ years now and all but three of the cars I've owned have been manual. I consider Hill Hold a welcome assist, not a threat to my shifting prowess. The fact that it restarts itself when you push the clutch back in if you do fumble things is an added bonus.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I think you're all over-reacting. Hill Hold has been coming on most manual transmission cars for quite some time, almost every one I've bought over the last six years of so has had it. Porsche's is the best so far if you let it do its intended job. Simply take your foot off the brake, start releasing the clutch as you give it a bit of gas, and you pull away smoothly as the brake releases itself. Doesn't seem to be on a timer, seems to release when it feels forward motion. If you're stalling, it's because you're either not giving it any gas, or you're trying to "beat" the system with too quick of a launch.
I've been driving 30+ years now and all but three of the cars I've owned have been manual. I consider Hill Hold a welcome assist, not a threat to my shifting prowess. The fact that it restarts itself when you push the clutch back in if you do fumble things is an added bonus.
I disagree. The fact is that I've stalled a few times, and apparently so have others listed on this thread. Imagine how many other people out there who don't read this forum must have this problem.

With PDK so good and such a large percentage of cars having the PDK, the few remaining holdouts who prefer a clutch are probably among the hard core drivers. I'd gamble that most of us would be better off without it.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:22 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I really hated starting on steep hills on my old 944 - people would pull up right behind me and have me worrying about rolling back and hitting them - so it's really not having a hill-hold that bothers me, it's that I can't override it and that it turns on when the slope is next to nothing. It's the almost-flat starts where you stall most easily because you don't see that the hold turned on, just start normally, and then are sitting there trying to restart the engine as quickly as possible.

I'd just be happier if it was a center-console button I could press to engage if I'm concerned about rolling back. (Or it could even turn on automatically but let me disengage with that button, though I think I like the idea of engaging it manually better.)

As it is right now, I'd be happy if I could do any of the following:

1) Set the incline angle in the settings to make it only turn on on steeper grades.

2) Turn it off entirely.

3) Override/disengage by pulling the parking brake release if I see it has turned on and don't want/need it.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't love the system, but it's not a big bother to me either. That said, I'd turn it off if I could. I wonder if it's against the law here in the states, or would void the warranty, if another company made a switch. I have no idea.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
You're correct in saying that the Hill Assist function has been around for a while, but, up until now, every car I'd owned with this feature offered an override option, and they all worked much smoother than the one on the Porsche; they released much quicker during acceleration.

I've been driving and racing manuals since 1965, and learned that we all have different driving habits, e.g., many Corvette owner's are flustered over the first to fourth gear lockout, while others aren't bothered by the feature. Oddly enough, the more aggressive drivers' never experience the lockout because it never has time to come into play.

Unfortunately, the aggressive drivers' are getting hassled in the 991 because the Hill Assist literally bushwhacks you while attempting to pull away from a light on a slight incline. In other words, you'll stall if you're looking to leave ahead of the grinning challenger waiting beside you at the light. IMO, a "sports car" shouldn't hinder its driver during any type of competition.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Meh....I'm not bothered by mine. It only comes on in one place in my normal day to day driving, a freeway crossing light that approaches the intersection on a pretty steep rise, I never see it generally in my flat town.
Cars I've had with it were four MINI's since 2005, 2007 BMW MZ4 coupe, Audi A3, Audi TT-RS, and none of them were defeatable. I got used to all of their quirks, I still maintain my 911's is the easiest to work with.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I decided to take the hill-holding manual tranny monster on a trip to San Francisco tomorrow for a stay over the holiday. I'm going to give it the business and see if it can take the worst SF has to offer. En garde, Porsche!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 AM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Is there anyone here that would be interested in having someone come up with an override setting for this function? I was just at a track day, and a instructor there is in the business. After he drooled over my car, I explained this situation to him. He said he has contacts in the UK that work with the Porsche software people and is positive he could get a solution to this. The question is how many people are interested. The number interested here would help him get an idea of what he would have to charge.

If I get a bunch of yes indications here I will put up a poll thread and see what we get.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a quick shift to neutral and back to first will undo the hold function long enough to get rolling I find

Quick Reply: Hold function on a MT 991