Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Hold function on a MT 991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/756871-hold-function-on-a-mt-991-a.html)

enduro963 05-17-2013 02:44 PM

Hold function on a MT 991

Has anybody stalled their car while driving away after being stopped on an incline?
:banghead: I am embarrased to accept it, haha, but it has happened to me 2-3 times now. I think it is the weird feeling of the car not rolling back like my MT 997 and I donīt know what I do wrong and stall the car.

mrstep 05-17-2013 02:53 PM

First off... Why yes, someone else HAS stalled theirs! :cheers:

Secondly, take your foot off the brake entirely - the brake will hold - and then give gas for a normal start and the brake will release when it senses you're not going to roll back, at least that's what it seems like to me.

If you do the usual 'fast off the brake while going to throttle and releasing the clutch' thing, the brake won't be thinking it should let go yet - STALL!

It's annoying most of the time since it turns on at much lower inclines than I'd be inclined to expect it. (Sorry, I felt compelled to write it that way.)

On the other hand, when there's more of a hill I like it because I don't have to worry about pulling a handbrake/releasing it or jumping on the gas really fast. Of course with the electric 'handbrake' (loosely applied in this case), that wouldn't work anyway.

But give it a try on a hill a few times when nobody is behind you and you'll see that there's no rush and that it works fine. My biggest issue is that it still feels like a 'just fall backwards and we'll catch you' trust exercise, and I'm just not a trusting enough person.

Great/fun cars in any case. I would be really happy if it let you set hill hold to only steep grades or just turn it off. (I don't think you can - pretty sure others mentioned you can't. Maybe I should look just to be sure sometime!)

Nicoli35 05-17-2013 03:29 PM

be gentle and perhaps a bit slower releasing the clutch - the brake (on my car at least) will disengage just as clutch engages. No need to "push" the car out of the hill-hold.

ny991 05-17-2013 03:37 PM

WARNING! If you are on a slight hill and the hold function is on, do not try to cut into traffic with a fast start. It will not release fast enough and you will stall. It will only release easy.

aelia 05-17-2013 06:02 PM

I have to say that I like the hold function. Not saying that it will not happen in the future but compared to the stupid handbrake position I prefer the hold function.

sbpsu354 05-17-2013 07:19 PM

Both my MT 997.2 and my new MT Boxster have the hold function and I like it, especially when the person behind you is so close you can see what type of sunglasses they're wearing. The Boxster has a light on the tach that says "Hold" and lights up in green when activated. The idle on the new Boxster is so low, I have stalled it a couple of time, but the start/stop feature restarts the car when you push the clutch. Pretty cool

parkerfe 05-17-2013 08:25 PM

I DO NOT like the hold or parking park button functions at all. I would love for Porsche or some after-market company to make a handbrake retrofit to fit in the console, or even the drivers side door threshold like some Ferraris have. That would make the 991 the best 911 ever.

enduro963 05-17-2013 11:01 PM

Hummm, so it's not me, it's the system, well and my rush! I guess I can adapt my style. What worries me is what ny991 writes. What if I am in a hurry for launch?

stevebmd 05-17-2013 11:46 PM

It's the one thing I HATE about the 991. After 25 years of driving MT cars, I haven't stalled In traffic or on hills since high school...until I got the 991. In the 986,997 and other cars including my wife's old 1995 Cherokee 5speed, I have never had a problem with feathering the clutch and holding the hill. After a year in the 991, I still stall it monthly. Wish there was an override

duxsi 05-18-2013 09:37 AM

I find that you cannot simply release the clutch. This almost always leads to a stall.
You have to rev the engine and then release clutch as normal.

It is the same operation required to automatically release the handbrake (only when your seat-belt is applied). If the engine isn't slightly revved, the brake will not release.

cmb13 05-18-2013 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by stevebmd (Post 10471494)
It's the one thing I HATE about the 991. After 25 years of driving MT cars, I haven't stalled In traffic or on hills since high school...until I got the 991. In the 986,997 and other cars including my wife's old 1995 Cherokee 5speed, I have never had a problem with feathering the clutch and holding the hill. After a year in the 991, I still stall it monthly. Wish there was an override

100% AGREE!!!!

I can't stand it either and in fact I said the same exact thing to my wife just last week! I have owned 6 MT's and never had a problem, since I was in my teens. Now I have stalled this car at least 3-4 times. It's embarrassing, annoying and dangerous. I wish I could disable this "feature".

pfan 05-18-2013 01:03 PM

When ready to go after the hold function is engaged, you have two options. 1) Hit the accelerator and release the clutch, realizing that it's going to take a bit more throttle than normal to power through the brake hold function, or 2) release the foot brake and wait approx. 1-2 seconds for the hold function to release on it's own, then drive off normally. I find I usually use option #2.

ny991 05-18-2013 01:31 PM

Plan, first time I tried that I almost rolled into the guy behind me. My bad, but lesson learned.

carrerapete 05-18-2013 03:39 PM

IMO it's a totally annoying function and it's really frustrating that it can't be turned off; even my Jeep Wrangler allows for the hill-assist function to be turned off.

I'd stalled the car because of this silliness and an overzealous soccer mom almost ran into me with her oversize SUV; I was lucky in that the car restarted when I pressed the clutch down and allowed me to get the heck out of her way in time.

I purposely informed my service rep that the Hill-assist function is actually an accident waiting to happen, and she assured me that they've been getting many complaints about it, so we're not alone.

LonnieR 05-19-2013 09:56 AM

What all you guys are missing is the fact that Porsche had to create a function for MT cars that would force all you dinosaurs that still like MT to get PDK. :roflmao: