Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sibling Rivalry - 991 vs. 981 - Fair Odds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is awesome!
Old 05-18-2013, 04:34 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a cool thread, but even with the 3.8 I'm predicting the 981 gets its *** handed to it it by the 991 in a fair fight.

Let's see what happens.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:00 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
This is a cool thread, but even with the 3.8 I'm predicting the 981 gets its *** handed to it it by the 991 in a fair fight.

Let's see what happens.
I can tell you what would happen. The Cayman would win the slalom, the Auto X and would win a lap time shootout at a track that had long corners and no slowing down but if they went to a track with a bunch of point and squirt drag strip driving, the 911 would win from apex to exit. The Nurburgring lap time shootout would be the ultimate decision maker and at that point, it would be really really close.

Essentially the Cayman can enter a corner faster than a 911 but if you are racing wheel to wheel and there's a huge Camaro or Aston Martin at the apex, the 911 is better at putting the power to the pavement and better at accelerating in a straight line because the motor is over the tires and the tires are flatter on the ground. I think that the answer you guys are looking for is that the rear engined, multi-suspension is faster around a race track on average than a mid-engined, rear strut suspension car because the lap time comes more from exiting out of the corner, than it does entering it quickly.

With this Cayman's having a larger front caliper, wider track from wheel spacers and equal power/torque, it's at least more of a fair fight and would be a pummeling.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Gene G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And when you finish this one you could start another with a new GT3 engine.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Just stirring the pot.

I think a track shootout with nicely produced accompanying video is called for.

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I can tell you what would happen. The Cayman would win the slalom, the Auto X and would win a lap time shootout at a track that had long corners and no slowing down but if they went to a track with a bunch of point and squirt drag strip driving, the 911 would win from apex to exit. The Nurburgring lap time shootout would be the ultimate decision maker and at that point, it would be really really close.

Essentially the Cayman can enter a corner faster than a 911 but if you are racing wheel to wheel and there's a huge Camaro or Aston Martin at the apex, the 911 is better at putting the power to the pavement and better at accelerating in a straight line because the motor is over the tires and the tires are flatter on the ground. I think that the answer you guys are looking for is that the rear engined, multi-suspension is faster around a race track on average than a mid-engined, rear strut suspension car because the lap time comes more from exiting out of the corner, than it does entering it quickly.

With this Cayman's having a larger front caliper, wider track from wheel spacers and equal power/torque, it's at least more of a fair fight and would be a pummeling.

Quick Reply: Sibling Rivalry - 991 vs. 981 - Fair Odds?