Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking outside -- a year in pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:58 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

I wish I could leave it outside but, my oak trees rain acorns that create massive small dents, my tulip poplars shed branches, the ash trees constantly drop tree stuff and my maple trees leak sap.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my wife totally agrees with your philosophy when I showed her this thread: she claims I'd sold too many "brand new" sport cars for too little (money and appreciation).
To each his own but the other side of the coin is that I just sold my E39 BMW for around 20% more than high KBB in part due to it being meticulously cared for which included garaging while at home.

True, it's not a Faberge egg but it is one special car.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

The only one who ever benefitted from the stupid and meticulous attention I have given all my cars is the guy who bought them from me....granted I got a slight premium - but I always thought I never put enough mileage on them- brought them to the cottage - put anything but my track car on the circuit....you know lived with and enjoyed it which they are entirely engineered to do. That said, I won't likely change though - genetic defect I have.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bboerit
Check out Master Blaster for drying (I use after washing with de-ionized water)... Hardly need to use any MF towels... Perfection!
Will do. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted on another thread the daily drivers are going to collect alot of dust when the 991 arrives. Ordered the "4" for 3 1/2 season driving, still wont subject a sports car to salt chunks and cinders.

Great article! Considering these things are driven daily in the home country of Germany, Pennsylvania should not be a stretch.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM
lspain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations to the OP on getting maximum enjoyment out of using the car! My wife loves our 991 so even when I leave it at home, it is 'out and about' on everyday tasks. I fully recognize many Porsche owners get satisfaction by possessing a pristine specimen at all times and I enjoy detailing our car as well. But I think a drivers car should be enjoyed by being driven and I applaud those who drive.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by lspain
Congratulations to the OP on getting maximum enjoyment out of using the car! My wife loves our 991 so even when I leave it at home, it is 'out and about' on everyday tasks. I fully recognize many Porsche owners get satisfaction by possessing a pristine specimen at all times and I enjoy detailing our car as well. But I think a drivers car should be enjoyed by being driven and I applaud those who drive.
Agree completely.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:04 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Very nice photo essay. Thanks, I enjoyed it. I want to get a roof rack too.. been hauling my bikes on the SUV, but that always means I have to leave the Porsche at home.

I drive mine nearly every day. But, I disagree with the comment:

The only one who ever benefitted from the stupid and meticulous attention I have given all my cars is the guy who bought them from me....
Because, I personally benefit from the stupid and meticulous attention I give to the car. It makes me feel good to see it clean and shiny, and I personally find it relaxing in the evening to go out to the garage with a beer or some wine, and polish things up a bit. A great de-stressor. I do tend to let my other vehicles get too dirty between washings, but this one I like to keep clean.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Marioshi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rnl
I wish I could leave it outside but, my oak trees rain acorns that create massive small dents, my tulip poplars shed branches, the ash trees constantly drop tree stuff and my maple trees leak sap.
That's nothing. My parents have a Bunya Bunya (Monkey Puzzle) tree by their driveway which at times drops 20 lb pine cones from 90 feet in the air. That thing is no joke, probably a terrible idea to have it in their front yard. Also, the "leaves" are like spiky death.

OP, did you ever say why there was a snowboard on the car in the summer pic?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to see so many different points of view on how to take care of and enjoy your car. Just goes to show you that many, many times, there is more than one "right answer".
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

That is some pine come! And to think. I get (sort of) annoyed by the few weeks of sap from the Dogwood tree flowering, lol.

Not a snowboard. A wakeboard (think snowboard on water behind boat).

Originally Posted by Marioshi
That's nothing. My parents have a Bunya Bunya (Monkey Puzzle) tree by their driveway which at times drops 20 lb pine cones from 90 feet in the air. That thing is no joke, probably a terrible idea to have it in their front yard. Also, the "leaves" are like spiky death.

OP, did you ever say why there was a snowboard on the car in the summer pic?
Old 07-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Porsche911_S
Advanced

Just bought a new 911S last week and will pick it up this Wednesday. I plan to drive the hell out of it. I bought a new 911 Carrera in 2001 and used it 12 months of the year; of course, I lived in Delaware then where the winters weren't as nasty as upstate NY. But we'll see what I can do here. These cars were meant to be driven not stored in a museum, in my humble opinion. I agree with trysixty above. The faster you wear it out, the sooner you can get a new one.

Last edited by Porsche911_S; 07-28-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: correct error
Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
This is fundamentally why I am obsessed with Porsche. They make sports cars that are actually usable and practical. Very nice pics!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

I park mine outside as well, its my DD and sees all 4 seasons. But sometimes this is the risk you take, was parked overnight on the street. Sh$t happens, oh well.
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ ****! Sorry to see that man! What the hell did that?!