Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker vibration or unusual sound issues anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Nash--They're sending it to me this week (the person that completes them was out).
Duke--Yes, I went to Strong's.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:34 PM
brian981
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shumi.. thank you! I actually figured this ou tlast month. It is the mirror switch which vibrates at certain frequencies. I have been trying to figure this out for months now.

Before I figured it out, the dealer took out every speaker and tested each one. Of course they performed perfectly. I told them the issue, they heard the issue but no luck.

Last night I googled to see if I could find anyone else and wow here it is. I should come to this forum.

Anyhow, I was curious if there was a campaign regarding the switch or anything from PCNA I could reference at the dealer. I plan on contacting them today.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:07 PM
brian981
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old topic but wanted everyone to know Dealer replace driver window switch a while back and the issue is 95% resolved. There is still some extra vibration somewhere but at least it doesnt sound like a popped speaker.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

How about the infamous rattles from the seat belt trim piece over your shoulder? I think that's where it's coming from. Both sides driver/passenger.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 11:35 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
How about the infamous rattles from the seat belt trim piece over your shoulder? I think that's where it's coming from. Both sides driver/passenger.

Thanks
I've been experiencing a problem with a creaking from the seatbelt and posted about it here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8969...lt-creaks.html

Today I turned the radio on and an extremely loud rattle starting coming from the passenger area that almost sounded like from the speaker or where the door closes. I used a very high tech, sophisticated solution by reaching over and banging on the door and the dash a few times until it stopped. That was the 1st time I've encountered that one and hopefully the last
Old 10-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had my mirror switch replaced for this as well, its back again
Old 07-17-2016, 03:38 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another mirror switch vibrating here. How frustrating!
I have been trying to remove the switch myself to see if I can fix it... Do I need to remove the entire door panel?
Also, do we know if Porsche has addressed the issue, as in offering replacement parts that don't have the issue?

Thanks to all who have reported here... really helps narrow down the issues.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My driver side mirror switch vibrates as well.

If it's anything like the passenger side window switch that I had to replace when it stopped working, the wires are too short to plug it in then pop it into place, so you have to take the door panel off.

The good news is, with a couple of plastric trim tools, the door is actually pretty easy to take apart. I did it with the instructions in this forum.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:14 PM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mirror switch rattle on mine as well. I will wait to take it in when something else goes wrong, but I don't know how it can be fixed anyway, I'm sure it will rattle again. I have the base stereo and it's not that great anyway. I do have a nice stereo at home to listen to.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:28 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. It mostly affects base stereo. The bose/burm subwoofer channels the bass and doesn't affect the mirror switch as bad. I have read of at least one person taking the switch appart to fix it... Not sure if I am that smart.
I am wondering if Porsche now provides a switch that is not that flimsy...
Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 AM
RickIrons
Advanced

I also had a rattle on the driver's side of a 991.1 C2S with bass frequencies at low volumes. The dealer was unable to fix it. Drove the car for 3 years. The new owner had the panel swapped under warranty.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:48 PM
shumi_9
Advanced

Guys,
I can write a book on this topic. I hate rattles.
I hade the vibrating swicth in my 2012 991. They replaced it with a new 'modified or improved' switch which was delivered from Germany. The dealer gave me the impression the design of the switch had been modified to fix this issue, in other words, new part. Additionally,in conjunction with the installation of the new switch, my dealer dampened the sonic characteristics of the door panel by installing several additional pieces of foam in several regions. I actually saw the panel before and after and I was amazed on how much effort the dealership had put in trying to eliminate any rattling. I did not ask...but it seemed to me as if the work may have been done as per some sort of technical bullettin issued from Porsche. I experienced no additional rattling on my 2012 911 until I traded it in for a 2014 991C4S in February 2015. The 2014 991C4S has no rattles whatsover from the door panels. I do not know if rattles were found by the original ownwer and fixed prior to taking ownership in 2015.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:14 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm curious how many of the problems you're all experiencing come from the fact that Porsche didn't couple the door woofer to the grille with a foam gasket. Essentially there's nothing focusing the acoustic energy from the 8" woofer into the cabin. I would try a 1" thick foam gasket around the leading edge of the OEM woofer.

bet you see a major difference.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (11-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Speaker vibration or unusual sound issues anyone?