Black cars are a pain to clean!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
What is the effect of deionized water?
You can actually allow the deionized water to dry on the car without using a leaf blower or wiping the car dry with a towel; the water will evaporate without leaving spots.

Originally Posted by fast1
Just a slight exaggeration. Depending upon the time of year, a black car looks fabulous after a detail anywhere between 5 mins and an hour. With all the pollen in my area this time of year, it looks great for about 5 mins now. So I just reconcile myself to driving a dirty car for most of the time, and detail it only a couple times a year. Otherwise I'd be washing the car 3 - 4 times a week.
You're correct. But during the car season I always wash my car two or three times a week. It's good exercise and I enjoy riding in a clean car. I should also confess that I've been retired since age forty-eight, so I do have plenty of time on my hands.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone wants videos just go to autogeek.net. :-)
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

I strongly suggest you watch this video if you're not proficient in the art of removing swirl marks and other types of paint damage.

This fellow (Junkman) tends to be a little "wordy," but he knows his stuff and has a lot to contribute on the subject of automotive cleaning and polishing.

Pick a rainy day or whenever you have an hour to kill and watch this five-part video; you'll come away with a wealth of good information regarding proper technique and reliable products.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by carrerapete
I strongly suggest you watch this video if you're not proficient in the art of removing swirl marks and other types of paint damage.

This fellow (Junkman) tends to be a little "wordy," but he knows his stuff and has a lot to contribute on the subject of automotive cleaning and polishing.

Pick a rainy day or whenever you have an hour to kill and watch this five-part video; you'll come away with a wealth of good information regarding proper technique and reliable products.

How To for Novice to Machine Polishing - Part 1 - YouTube
It's very elementary but the junkman is very entertaining, and as he said in part 1 his assumption is that the viewer knows nothing. Professional detailers use high speed polishers because they are fast, but very dangerous unless you are highly skilled. For us back yard detailers orbitals and a lot of time is a must. I'm happy that he emphasized the importance of washing the surface and then claying before polishing because claying is a step many omit.
Anyway thanks for sharing this very entertaining and informative how to video.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deionized water.

I had my wife's Z4 M Coupe totally detailed and color corrected by one of the best detailers in the country. It took him 17 hours and I spoke with him for about 13 of those hours learning what I needed to know to keep her black Z4 Coupe in the condition that he resulted with. I figure the $700 for the detail was a lesson in car maintenance. Since my 991 is the third black car I own, it was important how to more easily wash and wax these cars without swirls and scratches.
Everything he taught me can't be written here. Carrerapete has posted a lot of really good hints in detailing.
I was advised to buy the Spotless deionizer (double filter) by the detailer. It is sold through Costco online. It has been fabulous. It removes all minerals from hard water so the water you are using on your car will dry absolutely without those annoying stains. I also have a small filter that I placed in the hose bib to trap any particulate that might get into the filter.
Check out the detailer's site. His name is Eddy Fiuza and his site has a lot of info and links to better detailing.

www.fiuzasautodetailing.com

Eddy is a great guy and if you give him a call, he loves to talk and will give you any hints and info you need to keep your car pristine.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:57 AM
carrerapete
Instructor

Originally Posted by LonnieR
I had my wife's Z4 M Coupe totally detailed and color corrected by one of the best detailers in the country. It took him 17 hours and I spoke with him for about 13 of those hours learning what I needed to know to keep her black Z4 Coupe in the condition that he resulted with. I figure the $700 for the detail was a lesson in car maintenance. Since my 991 is the third black car I own, it was important how to more easily wash and wax these cars without swirls and scratches.
Everything he taught me can't be written here. Carrerapete has posted a lot of really good hints in detailing.
I was advised to buy the Spotless deionizer (double filter) by the detailer. It is sold through Costco online. It has been fabulous. It removes all minerals from hard water so the water you are using on your car will dry absolutely without those annoying stains. I also have a small filter that I placed in the hose bib to trap any particulate that might get into the filter.
Check out the detailer's site. His name is Eddy Fiuza and his site has a lot of info and links to better detailing.

www.fiuzasautodetailing.com

Eddy is a great guy and if you give him a call, he loves to talk and will give you any hints and info you need to keep your car pristine.
Thanks for the link, LonnieR; gleaning information from the experts is the road to success.

Quick Reply: Black cars are a pain to clean!