Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mahogany wood interior....Post pics please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 AM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm partial to the carbon fiber myself but don't know if that would go well with the beige interior.

And yeah, you're gonna be driving a much nicer car than even most of the attendings. You'll probably get some good ribbing for that but hey, if you can afford it why not
Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rnl - car is gorgeous! Who says wood in a Carrera is verboten? I say, buy and drive what you love. Dinosaurs couldn't stand progress, either.

And new guy - enjoy the 991. Life is short. Makes no deifference what others think. If you can afford it, suck every drop of joy out of it and don't look back. They'll get theirs one day and will wonder why they waited so long. And you'll be on your next one...
Old 04-28-2013, 08:49 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
I just heard that Porsche canceled the new GT3 after your comment was read. They just could not bear the thought of releasing a PDK only beast into the wild knowing you would not approve.
Did you note my use of the term "street car" in my post ? PDK is perfect for a race car and/or track car such as a GT3 where the fastest lap time is the goal. But, for a street car, where transportation, the occasional DE track day and FUN are the goals, nothing beats a 3 pedal manual IMHO. Now, it I were specing out an S8 or Bentley or S-class or 7 series or even a Panamera, I would go with wood everywhere, DCG, back-up camera, massage seats, the works.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

I saw a red cab at the dealer with the Luxor beige leather and the wood trim, including the console surround (shifter region). I was prepared to not like it, but with that color interior, it actually looked quite good. More luxury-looking than sport, but very attractive nonetheless. Not sure I would like it with any other color interior that Porsche currently offers, though, except possibly the espresso.

I'm quite happy with the stock trim with my red full-leather interior with black carpeting. The carbon looks very good with the red leather in pics I've seen, though!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Chailinchou - Buy the color and options you want and enjoy it. I have bought many "funky" colors and have never had any resale issues.

Everything stated here are merely the subjective opinions of well meaning members. However, in the end this is your money and the car is for your enjoyment.

The only real advice I can give is to be cautious with very light interior colors.
Depending on where and how you live, these can be a pain to keep clean.

Also, living in Florida I have found the glare from the center console is significant. Some have opted to go with the leather center console option to avoid this glare, as the carbon fiber alternative was not appealing and too plastic looking to them.

The plethora of options in the configurator can lead to insanity, and ultimately a visual disaster.

I would suggest visiting as many websites and dealerships so that you can individualize your car to your tastes.

Pick your options wisely - restraint is your friend...

Last edited by duxsi; 04-28-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-28-2013, 02:19 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey Razr, good to see another member of the stream team.
I have a C2S cab on order, should be here next month and can't wait...its my first P car.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 448 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Did you note my use of the term "street car" in my post ? PDK is perfect for a race car and/or track car such as a GT3 where the fastest lap time is the goal. But, for a street car, where transportation, the occasional DE track day and FUN are the goals, nothing beats a 3 pedal manual IMHO. Now, it I were specing out an S8 or Bentley or S-class or 7 series or even a Panamera, I would go with wood everywhere, DCG, back-up camera, massage seats, the works.

right after reading your last post I was so upset that I drove to a mall parking lot and left that wood burdened Porsche with the engine running and the windows down. Unfortunatly, it was still there later that day with a hand written note on the windshield saying "I was going to drive this beauty away until I saw that stinkin mahogany dash insert, and that god forsaken automatic transmission."

I suppose I'm stuck with this car now.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM
RazrPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkrp
Hey Razr, good to see another member of the stream team.
I have a C2S cab on order, should be here next month and can't wait...its my first P car.
Awesome! Post pics when you get your 991!

Get yourself a vanity plate that says "CME2PEE".
Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Carbon fiber yes! Save the wood for the girls!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

I'd get wood interior if I were you, as you might regret later on if you don't. Don't be bothered with other people's racing masochistic non-sense. As some might think that they are actually pro racers with their 911, I tend to see mine as a luxury item. And 99.9% of the time, I use the vehicle for daily drive. So I want it to be comfortable with of all today's gadgetries, a look inside the cabin that is pleasing to my eyes, a convertible top operational with a single press of a button, etc. So I spec my car with a luxurious look rather than sporty. So to each its own. I am happy with the stock chrome trim but hey, the wood definitely adds a nice touch to the luxor beige. While most guys passengers were impressed with the car's engine roar and performance, the women were salivating at the luxurious look of my 991. Best of both worlds! I love my car!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 PM
chailinchou
Intermediate

Honest advices from all angles, thanks!

Other than my passion for cars, I've kept things on the DL and haven't crossed any seniors yet. I'm hopeful people will judge me by the work I do, not the car I drive. At the end I gotta do what makes me happy

Amalgam - I see you've got a cab, how does it work in the ont weather? How much time do you get in a year to go topless? Got any pics of your interior? I love convertibles, had two since 2003, and only opted for the coupe because of weather considerations. Breaks my heart........
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

Originally Posted by chailinchou
Amalgam - I see you've got a cab, how does it work in the ont weather? How much time do you get in a year to go topless? Got any pics of your interior? I love convertibles, had two since 2003, and only opted for the coupe because of weather considerations. Breaks my heart........
I have a Benz 4matic for winter so it works out well for me. The weather has been quite nice lately and I had my top down half of the time. I see other cabriolets cruising around more and all drivers had an ear to ear smile. In Ontario, Cabs can be driven up to about late October, then we put them in storage. Bring them back out in early April, and you'd get this brand new car feeling again, it's great! Don't have any interior pics but it is the standard Luxor beige with PDK. I love the anthracite brown, it changes hue at different time of the day and it is quite unique. I only had great comment about the color even from total strangers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9475278...ream/lightbox/
Old 04-29-2013, 03:32 AM
chailinchou
Intermediate

I'm planning to use the P-car as a DD, with 19"/winter tires. In this case, do you think the coupe makes more sense?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

I'm planning to use the P-car as a DD, with 19"/winter tires. In this case, do you think the coupe makes more sense?
The coupe is definitely lower maintenance than a cab as there is no fabric top to deal with. And I find the coupe has better rear visibility than a cab with the top up. So yes, with all logistics considered, a coupe as a DD makes more sense. But for me, driving with the top down in a 911 is so rewarding that I couldn't care less about logistics. You will definitely enjoy your Porsche if you get it the way you want and not what other people wants.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Got any pics of your interior? I love convertibles, had two since 2003, and only opted for the coupe because of weather considerations. Breaks my heart........
Went for a short drive with top down, I figured I might as well take a pic of the interior for you:

Like I said, I like the standard chrome trims, which complement well with the door handles, shifter, PDK paddles on steering wheel, etc.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Mahogany wood interior....Post pics please!