Sponsored by:

Jukebox Question - Album Artwork Display

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Jukebox Question - Album Artwork Display

I copied my iTunes library directly from the media folder to a USB and then transferred to Jukebox. The album artwork does not show up on the PCB screen in the Jukebox window (just get a generic icon). Any idea how to fix this?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:05 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I do see the album artwork (at least when I've looked it's there), but I wonder if it could be because I ripped the vast majority of my music from CD and then added the album covers myself rather than letting iTunes do it.

I'll take a look and see if some of the purchased songs maybe are missing the art in just a few minutes. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing something about artwork being treated differently if iTunes matches covers instead of the user doing it by hand, anyway.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM
mrstep
Instructor

OK, so I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but...

(Well, even more annoying, I can't upload the pictures I took of the album art - both jpg and png are telling me they're not valid. Uh, OK, but they are, and I work with graphics files all day long on many days, so I'm pretty sure I'm not confused about them being OK - at least I can open them here. Grumble. :/ )

Anyway, without the beautiful pictorial accompaniment:

Songs that I ripped and uploaded appear to have the artwork consistently set.

Some mp3s that I have - NiN's The Slip, specifically, which was a free online download - doesn't show the cover. That one was never loaded into iTunes, so maybe it really has no cover art?

iTunes purchased artwork seems to sometimes work, sometimes not. I bought No Line on the Horizon as an iTunes album, and the first couple of tracks randomly showed other album covers before showing the right thing... Actually, now that I think about it, not random, but covers of other albums I recently played. After a few tracks, it them showed the correct cover.

Alternately, I bought the Johnny Cash "Hurt" cover, and it showed the artwork just fine.

So... It seems like it could be iTunes related, though it could also just be some strange cover art bug for that matter. Assuming that iTunes may have treated the album differently than a single song, maybe only some tracks in the album actually have the cover art and when it hits songs without it maybe the PCB just freaks out?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 AM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. All my iTunes files are ripped in MP3 format and show up with the covers in iTunes. I have checked some individual files, which all have the artwork embedded so it just seems very weird that none of them shows up in Jukebox. Not a big deal, but it would be nicer and easier to identify while driving if the covers were there.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:05 AM
mrstep
Instructor

I just looked at a couple of the mp3 files from 'The Slip' on my hard drive, and they show up with the cover art in Finder on the Mac, so I'm assuming they do have the art and that mp3 covers just don't show on the Jukebox screen - which is really annoying for you, if that's the case. I ripped all of my CDs to AAC which probably explains why I see them, though that's pretty poor file handling.

Then again, not handling ALAC is annoying too since it's an open format with code samples at this point, and some of my library was ripped to that through iTunes.

Something tells me not to hold my breath on ALAC support, but maybe if you send a bug report to Porsche they can at least fix the mp3 artwork problem?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Mrstep,
Good point. I will follow up with Porsche NA and post if anything happens.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add another wrinkle. I copied MP3 files ripped from CD's onto a USB drive. When I play them directly from the USB drive, the artwork is displayed, however when I copy the folder from the USB to the Jukebox, the art work disappears. I tried copying individual folders separately as well as a "Copy all Tracks" and the results were the same?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 AM
John52
Instructor

More info. One of the albums I copied to the USB was originally a download from an artist's site and did include a JPG "packshot" file of the cover. It does appear on the Jukebox. However, I tried adding cover.jpg files to other albums but that didn't work so not really any further ahead.

Last edited by John52; 04-28-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Originally Posted by John52
More info. One of the albums I copied to the USB was originally a download from an artist's site and did include a JPG "packshot" file of the cover. It does appear on the Jukebox. However, I tried adding cover.jpg files to other albums but that didn't work so not really any further ahead.
Since checking out different tracks on mine to see if I could determine what was going on, mine has been totally messed up too. I get semi-random album covers (I mean, they're ones I've listened to recently) in seemingly no particular order associated with other songs I'm listening to. I'm wondering (need to look) if there's a reset/reboot PCM option since it just seems totally flaky. It certainly would have happened anyway if it's based on playing what, mp3s? Some songs without covers? Something else? Who knows.

Very poor experience considering that a cheap mp3 player can do it correctly! :/
Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Just found something "interesting": All my iTunes files show up with all meta data embedded. All songs have been ripped from CD's exactly the same way. When I copy from the music folder to a USB some files copy correctly with artwork, others don't (these files show up with artwork in Jukebox). If I repeat it is always the same files that copy ok. I can't detect any structural difference between the files. Seems to be something weird going on with iTunes too.....
Old 05-01-2013, 05:43 PM
John52
Instructor

Okay, I now have artwork for all my albums on Jukebox. By searching the web I found out from people far more knowledgeable than I that when Windows Media Player is used to rip Mp3 files from CD's that Microsoft for some reason does not copy/convert some of the hidden "metatag" files used to carry artwork info. There are other hidden files that also carry the artwork as the album cover appears when playing music on Media Player but the one used by Jukebox is not copied. These files do not show up when using "show hidden and system files" .

The solution for me was to use a freeware program called mp3tag. It displays the hidden tag files and lets you edit the cover art. There is an option called "Tag Sources" that lets you retrieve the cover from the web (usually Amazon.com) . The tedious part is you have to do the web look-up for each track. Doing a copy/paste of the tag info to other tracks on the same album results in all the copied tracks having the same title when displayed on Jukebox.

There may be other options but this one worked for me.

Quick Reply: Jukebox Question - Album Artwork Display