Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

experiences going without a front plate in the NY / tri-state area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 PM
DrGiggles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default experiences going without a front plate in the NY / tri-state area?

I was wondering if people in the tri-state area who either do not have a front plate or went for some period without a front plate could share their experiences. Am debating whether to put one on my car or not. In particular, was wondering if they ever were pulled over purely on account of the missing front plate (i'm fine with the idea of paying an additional fine if i'm pulled over for another legitimate reason; less enthusiastic about being hassled constantly just for the missing plate). thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:46 PM
chron3k
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested as well... but my gut is that they won't pull you over solely for the plate unless they have a bone to pick (which certainly happens based on other threads I've read).

Right now I'm in NJ going sans front plate. I'll reassess if I ever get a ticket for it. I see tons of cars out there on a daily basis with front tints and no front plate.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 PM
chron3k
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also...

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...irement-2.html
Old 04-19-2013, 08:00 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're cracking down. I'm a retired LEO and I'm tired of getting pulled over for the stupid plate.

I installed the "tow-hook" plate holder and love it: I take it off before going to the cruise nights, and keep it on while driving around town. It spins on and off in less than a minute. You can't go wrong. IMO

Also consider this: you get stopped for no front plate and politely explain that you forgot to replace it after returning from a car show, or car wash, or whatever.

"It's right in the frunk and I'll gladly throw it on now, Officer."

The traffic officer will most likely let you slide.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

My son, who lives in LA, has had Porsches for years and leaves the front plate in the trunk. The only problem he has had with ticketing is when he has had to leave the car at the airport for business. It seems that's when they check plates.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM
naaranha
Instructor

Im in NJ and decided to go with the front plate. I used the skene plate no "visible" holes drilled. I could not do the tow hook because I got the front/rear parking sensors. It looks very clean. They recommend extra short. I got medium and have the front sport facia.

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Gary Tubiolo
Intermediate

I just went through this debate. I live in Rochester, NY. I was confronted by a several police officers at a Tim Hortons one night. They were huge car lovers and were asking questions about the car. They got around to the front of the car and I said please don't ticket me for the no front plate. They all laughed and said they'd ticket me if I even thought of drilling into such a beautiful nose. They said throw the plate in the window. When they see cars of that value, they don't expect the plate to be drilled in the front. They said we always look past the hundred of garbage corvettes in the NY region that have no front plates. We don't expect it on the porsche. What they did say is they will only ticket it if they catch a guy speeding, they will then probably disregard the speeding, unless its unrealistic and just give a no plate ticket for front. I now just leave my plate on the front passenger floor, if I see a cop I put it on the dash.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary Tubiolo
I just went through this debate. I live in Rochester, NY. I was confronted by a several police officers at a Tim Hortons one night. They were huge car lovers and were asking questions about the car. They got around to the front of the car and I said please don't ticket me for the no front plate. They all laughed and said they'd ticket me if I even thought of drilling into such a beautiful nose. They said throw the plate in the window. When they see cars of that value, they don't expect the plate to be drilled in the front. They said we always look past the hundred of garbage corvettes in the NY region that have no front plates. We don't expect it on the porsche. What they did say is they will only ticket it if they catch a guy speeding, they will then probably disregard the speeding, unless its unrealistic and just give a no plate ticket for front. I now just leave my plate on the front passenger floor, if I see a cop I put it on the dash.

That sounds very nice. Unfortunately, just the other day a local cop gave my friend a ticket for no front plate.

The cop's exact words: "If my wife has to drive around with one, so do you."
Things are different in this area of NY for sure.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I put about 20K miles on a '76 308GTB in the Seattle area in the early 2000s. I was pulled over frequently by the State Patrol for the missing front plate, but mostly they just wanted to check out the car. They didn't issue any tickets for the plate but it served as a good pretense for a traffic stop whenever the cop was having a slow day.

After the third time I decided I had experienced enough roadside bull sessions with the boys in blue, and installed the plate.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I live in NYC and have the tow hook mounted plate which I don't always have mounted. I got hassled at the entrance to the midtown tunnel by a cop and told if he sees me again without the plate he will ticket me. Another time I was parked in the city (on a Sunday so you can park pretty much anywhere). I didn't have the plate on (forgot to be honest) and got a $65 ticket from a meter maid - yes they still work on Sundays despite my comment above - for having a 'missing front plate'.
Now I just leave the plate mounted all the time unless I want to wash the car, take it on the track or on a long trip out of state.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:17 AM
carrerapete
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97c2s993
I live in NYC and have the tow hook mounted plate which I don't always have mounted. I got hassled at the entrance to the midtown tunnel by a cop and told if he sees me again without the plate he will ticket me. Another time I was parked in the city (on a Sunday so you can park pretty much anywhere). I didn't have the plate on (forgot to be honest) and got a $65 ticket from a meter maid - yes they still work on Sundays despite my comment above - for having a 'missing front plate'.
Now I just leave the plate mounted all the time unless I want to wash the car, take it on the track or on a long trip out of state.
Sorry to hear they got you. The meter-maids always seem to creep out from the woodwork when you least expect it.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Mperor
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carrerapete
They're cracking down. I'm a retired LEO and I'm tired of getting pulled over for the stupid plate.

I installed the "tow-hook" plate holder and love it: I take it off before going to the cruise nights, and keep it on while driving around town. It spins on and off in less than a minute. You can't go wrong. IMO

Also consider this: you get stopped for no front plate and politely explain that you forgot to replace it after returning from a car show, or car wash, or whatever.

"It's right in the frunk and I'll gladly throw it on now, Officer."

The traffic officer will most likely let you slide.
Arrrgg! I just got pulled over by the cop this morning. He was sitting on the opposite 2-lane traffic. I was doing the speed limit, as soon as I passed him, I saw in my rear view mirror that he started the car and was making a u-turn. I knew he was coming for me... so first thing he said
"Very nice car, you just got it?"
"Yes, officer... what did I do?"
"You know NJ law requires vehicle to have both front and rear license plates mounted, right?!"
"Yes, officer, I am well aware of that... as you know, I just got this car and it came without the front-plate bracket. It took sometime but the bracket just came in. I already made an appointment at the dealership to mount it."
"Ok, I understand... driver license, registration, and insurance card, please!"
5 mins later, he came back and said "Have a nice day, and great looking car..."
Gave me back my papers and no ticket.

I agree, that NJ is cracking down on no front plate, this is my 3rd cars without plate and this is the first time I got pulled over only because of no front plate. I am going to order one of those no hole or tow bracket... I don't need any excuse for them to pull me over!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of a tow hook mount?

Also, is it true that it blocks the front parking assist?

--Jeff
Old 04-23-2013, 01:42 PM
naaranha
Instructor

Jeff,

It definitely blocks the front parking assist. That is why I got the skene front mount plate. More details above on my original post.

Good luck,

naaranha
Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

The real issue with not installing the front plate is whether or not you want to give a cop a reason to pull you over. To me, it makes no sense to ask for a traffic stop - which is what you are doing when you don't have a required front plate mounted. Doesn't take much to be just a tad over the legal DUI limit, have a tinted window that is a shade too dark, or whatever. Why risk it for something this insignificant. Bur thats just me.

Quick Reply: experiences going without a front plate in the NY / tri-state area?