Sponsored by:

Engine fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Engine fan not working

Took delivery almost two weeks ago. Second day with the car I was given "interm service now" warning on pcm display (dash). Took the car back to dealer, they reset the interval. Same warning returns a week later. They plug it into the computer and said the root of the problem was that one of my engine cooling fans was not working which was in turn likely effecting the pcm service interval reset. Of course they did not have one in stock, so they are having one shipped overnight. Until then I have a camry loaner! Luckily I still have my bmw. Unfortunately this all happened on the first 80 degree day of the year for us in upstate ny.

Anyone had this happen yet?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When do the engine fans (the ones you can see opening the engine lid) turn on? Most of the time I popped the engine lid, those fans weren't working... Even while the engine is running.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Camry loaner? Did you buy it from a Toyota dealer?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Camry loaner? Did you buy it from a Toyota dealer?
Tell me about it. Car was bought new from a porsche dealer. They own dealerships for nearly every brand there is.

I don't know squat regarding when the fans are on and not. Just repeating what my SA told me. Told me the parts arrived today at 11 am. They where unable to finish the work by 5pm, as a result my car is with them until monday and I am driving a camry. Turns out Porsche does not service cars on sat or sun? Is this true everywhere? SA gave me a pitch about how it is a porsche thing. I was not impressed.

There was a thread about loaners recently and apparently many dealers do not offer a loaner at all! Some get panameras, some get camrys, and others get a swift kick in the **** I guess
Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 AM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

It only takes a few min to replace those fans. Maybe you had a control module failure.

Spyder
Old 04-20-2013, 08:19 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgam
When do the engine fans (the ones you can see opening the engine lid) turn on? Most of the time I popped the engine lid, those fans weren't working... Even while the engine is running.
They are thermostatically controlled.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Just to give closure and clarity to the issue my 991 is now back in my possession after a few days in the shop. Turns out I misheard the SA. The problem was not with the engine fan, but with one of the two radiator fans. The SA showed me a video taken by the tech which showed how the fan was essentially seized up. He said it was a first he has seen this on the 991. This in turn was sending signals to the computer that was bugging it up in some manner. Good thing we found the problem as I can see myself putting those fans to work in the warm months ahead.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Engine fan not working